/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Post all your small and stupid questions that doesn't deserve their own thread.
Redirect any retard to this thread.

Previous thread : Don't be a retard, read the sticky, the wiki and search before posting using duckduckgo, google or whatever please you

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/p/HCFmPs
passwordstore.org/
pcpartpicker.com/p/WDhv6X
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opto-isolator
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wine#Installing_Microsoft_Office
buyersguide.macrumors.com/
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Windows_10
dropbox.com/s/nxym42ivw90k3ww/FetchImages.py?dl=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Quick question!
Does anyone have a list of all the telemetry updates for win 8.1?
Thanks!

What do they call the component that transfers signals optically across a circuit board for electrical isolation purposes?

Aight lads, I need HDD for storage(Music,videos)
What would you recommend 2TB or going up to 4? also WD, Or Seagate?

what's a good extension that saves a web page in pdf in x64-firefox? the acrobat dc only installs the addon on 32-bit and file>print>save pdf result doesn't look good

Your storage use is like gas. It will expand to fill any volume.

Chromebook Pixel 1 for $400, worth it?

what do you want it to look like? like the actual site? or some special print layout?
websites can supply a print stylesheet that alters layouts/colors when printing.

I'm doing some automation in Python(3.5), and I've run into some problems with the Subprocess module.

import subprocess as sp
drive = sp.run([r"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Google\\Drive\\googledrivesync.exe"], timeout=15)

This starts Google Drive as it should, but doesn't terminate it after 15 seconds. Not including the timeout variable and using time.sleep() and drive.terminate() doesn't work either.

Here you go. I took this screenshot from 8ch's /tech/ board.

can i install another OS on an iphone?

Does it have an unlocked bootloader or is it limited to Crouton?

how do I password management without having to sync a database to all devices?
I want a unique password for every site I visit, currently using keepass for important sites like bank etc.
But it's a pain in the ass to sync the keepass database around devices. Or if I want to quickly check emails on a device without the database I'm fucked.

How do I get around this?

As far as I'm aware, there is no easy way to even run a chroot on iOS. Why would you want to? iOS is the primary reason to have an iGroan.

Any suggestions on my babby build?

pcpartpicker.com/p/HCFmPs

Not a question, but whoever mentioned youtube-dl a few threads ago, this shit is glorious.

passwordstore.org/

I use that, with GPG, and mosh to the laptop/server it's on whenever I need a password.

you really want an SSD, gives you a massive performance boost.
An AMD card is faster than the 970, not sure exactly which, 380, 380x or 390 something.

Parents need a newish computer soon.
They have a POS all in one HP with bottom of the barrel AMD chip from like 3 or 4 years ago.

Running W10, opinions on this?

Really just using Chrome and Word.

Don't be a lamer gamer addict and instead spend your time developing skills and save all your money for a trip longer than two weeks for the last time you can before retirement. This is assuming you're still in high school.

You really need to have more memory and storage now. At least eight jee bees RAM, and probably at least one tee bee hard drive.

Decoupler?

Just have them get a Dell or something. You won't save any money after buying a Windows license, and they'll be expecting support from you. But hook them up with a cheap GPU and second monitor. With only one monitor, they might as well be enjoying the convenience of a laptop.

pcpartpicker.com/p/WDhv6X

You can get windows licenses cheap on exchanges. Gotten multiple like that, and it's worked fine for me.
Also why a GPU? They at most will use youtube, occasionally.
Also
>Dual screens for Seniors

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opto-isolator

Alright seems legit.

Should I grab a SSD over a HDD as well?

A video card is usually needed for more than one monitor. If they'll have only one, why burden them with a desktop? Old folks love working at their kitchen/dining room tables.

If I get a Macbook, is an apple ID required for browsing the web, installing software outside of the apple store, and updating it?

whynotboth.jpg

No. You need HDD to fit your games, loser.

not yet

Oh lol. Why not both, indeed then.

>download manjaro
>chrome
>wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wine#Installing_Microsoft_Office

not a manjaro fan tho, maybe mint works for you

Protip: try this on a live cd and see how fast it got then decide.

Well good, I'm thinking about getting one this christmas when prices are down.

Apple doesn't lower the price as the current version ages, so you need to buy shortly after a hardware update to get the most laptop for your money.

buyersguide.macrumors.com/

If I'm building a new PC do I have to buy an OS or can I copy over my current one from my old PC?

Does apple do black friday and christmas sales like every other company does, I'm sure they do.

Best torrent client for android?

The license is tied to the motherboard. There are ways to make it work on the new computer, but it won't be legitimate, and it's easier to just install a new one you "found".

If you're a lamer gamer, you should install Windows 10 for DX12 and do the needful to minimize data collection. You can easily get yourself an illegitimate but fully activated copy without paying.

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Windows_10

I think we like Flud.

>webm

What exactly is happening to public trackers? It seems like less and less new content is appearing, and even less seeding.

Google searches don't turn up anything recent, but I've noticed it for the last few months.

Maybe younger people aren't using bittorrent? The average Sup Forums user doesn't know how. Doing anything outside a web browser is too much for them.

All torrents speed is going down to 0 everytime I add a new one.

Syncthing created conflict-files for all files in my music library and the hashes of the two files are different.
But if I check file size, duration, metadata, etc., I can't find any differences.
So I'm guessing that there could be minute differences in the waveform or something. However I make spectrograms of them and compare them visually I can't spot any differences. Any program out there that compares the sound signature of 2 files?

TL;DR I need a program to automatically compare/check for differences in the sound signatures of 2 music files

Am I going to regret not buying a Raspberry Pi Zero for $5 when I was at Micro Center yesterday?

got rid of annoying repeated frame

If I update my phone, will I have to reinstall everything that requires root like xposed or just the root binary?

My motherboard (Asus P7H55-M LX) says it accepts DDR3 1333mhz RAM, if I put DDR3 1600 RAM in it will it not boot up or will the mobo de-clock the RAM itself?

On mine, I just had to root it again.

yes. but maybe not. Are you a normie hipster faggot that creates useless DIY projects? IF yes, then no you won't. If no, then yes you will.

Kernel update?
Yes it will flush everything,and you will have to re-root, if it is possible for your phone with that update

What settings should I use in MPC-HC to get subs to show up in pictures taken with the internal screencap taker when using the internal sub renderer?

Here's a weird one.

I'm sharing a folder on a laptop(win7) so i can do some work on it while someone else is using it from my PC(win 8.1)

If the laptop connects through wifi then it works fine.

If the laptop connects through ethernet(via powerline) then I get "network path not found" 0x80070035

How is that even possible?

yeah there's lots, don't have any personal experience with them so can't really rec you a specific program but google up, diff/compare and you'll find lots of choices

Thanks

What kind of files are being worked on?

been using wd hdd's for the past six years and they're pretty good. now i dunno about the storage, that's up to you.

not as far as i know

how long does it take study and pass a ccna r&s ?

A10-7850k or A8-7650k for cheap shitposting machine and playing cs go with friends on 1440x900?

Seeing how it is 12 tests, most of them 10 page long case scenarios...

would it be worth upgrading to a SSD from a HDD on a 6yo Dell Inspiron 1564?

no

not relevant - clicking the laptop's name under network will open the folder under wifi but will produce the error under ethernet.

Can anyone tell me where I can pick up Skylake Xeon V5's?

Hey Guys,

I found a few day ago a handy and i want to give it back to the owner. But I canĀ“t identify the owner because the device is locked. Does someone of you know how i can avoid the screenlock?

Could someone recommend a decent Wireless mouse?

Inb4
>Wireless

how much can you pay for it.

Are there any existing, working chan scrapers?
I remember back in the day there were good tools for saving entire threads, my google-fu is failing me however, and I can't find one.

I installed my first pc yesterday and everything is fine but every time i start it up, the keyboard doesnt work. I have to unplug it and put it in again for it to work. How do i fix this?

I'd like to stay below $75 USD.

i've made a script in python that downloads all pictures in a thread (doesn't monitor it though just gets the pictures the moment you run it) in case you want it

>something else is faster
>but i have no clue wat it is
intel shill

That'd be fine, appreciate it.

I want to know why, prefrence?

>I found a few days ago a handy

why the actual fuck are you saying

You can always re-used the SSD in the dell's self-built replacement. You ARE going to replace it with a proper self built, riiiiight?

use Sharex to take scrots instead.

stop using google, which takes down ANYTHING they are asked to, to find controversial content.

>people only have enough time in a day to do 1 thing ever

People have hobbies, get over it

A computer that can only run one program is a waste of money.

Yeah. I had a gaymen mouse a while ago, but never used any of its "features" and the cable just kinda got in the way. I've found a cheapie that I'm using and like, but it's starting misclick or randomly double click.

>recommend AMD card instead of nvidia
>intel shill

okay user.

Also, I want to stay around 75$ because I think that's reasonable for a nice mouse. Palm grip would be nice.

Same mentality :^}

Anyone here have any experience cutting sim cards? Buying a new phone with my upcoming paycheck and it requires a nano sim while my current is micro. The phone is unlocked and usable with my current carrier so I was hoping I could just cut the sim card, slap it in the phone and continue on without having to get a different plan.

Here, just make sure you have a folder named dump next to it when you run it

just manually put the threads link in the code on top and it should work

dropbox.com/s/nxym42ivw90k3ww/FetchImages.py?dl=0

okay

Nvidia GTX 1070 or the Nvidia GTX 1080? Both seem like better and more affordable than whats been offered before.

Bump

Handy = mobile phone???

only in german, no one else calls it "handy"

they already have a laptop, but they like to have two computers.
Again this would replace their All in One garbage

A WD 2tb should be good

I don't live with them or near them.
They don't really like learning new things either, sticking to windows.

It's a listing on eBay so i doubt it's unlocked but I'm pretty sure you can install Ubuntu with developer mode

I just moved into a new house, moved my PC myself, didn't fall or get jostled. But now my entire system has weird microstuttering. Video, audio, games, or just watching my mouse move or scrolling through a web page. What are some things I should check?

sry mate

hey Sup Forums, im thinking of getting saving up and getting an alien ware area 51 for like ~$5,000 with triple titan Xs. is this a terrible idea/deal? can i get the same performance for cheaper? help i cant into computer sales...

If you're going to blow $5000 on a children's toy box, at least get something better than Alienware.

>triggerd

Uuuuuhh where the fuck are they selling 1070s