/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that is required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

swisswatchexpo.com/watches/omega/mens-omega/speedmaster-/speedmaster-professional-42mm-moonphase-moon-38765031-11755
ebay.com/itm/wristwatch/281776677980
rbt.asia/g/thread/54449755#p54462549
youtube.com/watch?v=v_KCjT_TCUI
itotd.com/articles/297/revenge-of-the-analog-clock/
ebay.com/itm/A159W-Casio-Digital-Mens-Watch-/222124146648
watch-insider.com/reportages/exclusive-an-inside-view-of-the-eta-high-tech-swatch-sistem51-production-in-boncourt-in-the-swiss-jura/
watchguy.co.uk/review-a-trip-inside-the-swatch-sistem51-eta-c10111/
youtu.be/GoF4G_mKi-Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for hurr durr muh smertwutsh retard tier smart watches.

why has this watch become a meme in recent years and coveted apart from the price tag, i find the styling repulsive.

I like this watch. Someone I know would sell it to me for $3500.

Is it a fair price?

Can someone tell me if its a quality movement?

also i didn't know omega does not sell watches on their site.

where do people usually purchase omegas? i wanted to compare the prices

Different strokes, etc. For that price I'd rather get a chronometre bleu, but the bracelet on the AP looks great imo.

Is this legit?

swisswatchexpo.com/watches/omega/mens-omega/speedmaster-/speedmaster-professional-42mm-moonphase-moon-38765031-11755

Is there a watch like this that's affordable?

It's on eBay for $1.34. I have no large budget.
ebay.com/itm/wristwatch/281776677980

I just want something cheap and quartz like a beater. Is there anything smaller than 38cms?

I can stretch my budget to $100. I expect it to get scratched often.

if okc wins this game im treating myself to a new watch

Yo, where are all the G-Shock brothers at? DW-5600E representing, the last digital you'll ever need.

I dropped my seiko 5 with the 7s26c a week or two ago on its face onto wooden flooring. The winding rotor had seemed to be detached and scraping against the case and some user suggested I tighten the rotor screw.

rbt.asia/g/thread/54449755#p54462549

I got a case tool today and tightened the screw, but it doesn't wind. When I squeeze air at the balance wheel, it moves, advancing the seconds hand, but when using the rotor it does do anything.

This was my first automatic I ever bought.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What's a good budget mechanical watch?

>seiko 5

buy a new one mate.

I actually never wear this anymore.

please no

Servicing it is probably going to cost more than a new one. So like says, better to buy a new one. Unless it's some uncommon model or has some sentimental value or something.

What do you guys think about the pebble watches? Specifically the pebble time 2 and the pebble round.

Yeah, because after that you'll go for an analog to stop the laughing and mocking.
>digital=shit

Actually I just prefer analog in terms of readability during quick glances. Nothing wrong with digital unless you're trying to push it as a meme.

Actually, I'm going to keep wearing the Casio long into the future. Hopefully knowing this will drive you into a rage and hatred that is so obsessive and intense, it'll consume you and you'll end up committing suicide to find release, thus making the world a better place.

Also, enjoy watching this G-Shock tough test video:
youtube.com/watch?v=v_KCjT_TCUI

fuck

Taking over my gramp's Seiko 6M25-7020, any strap suggestions?

Ever since smartphone became required carry item I never wear watch anymore. As you can see the time is 12:45. Also, accessories are not really my thing.

Is it wrong that I think the watch in OP's pic is really cool looking?

Wear it in good health, my friend.

im interested in getting a watch with an exhibition caseback, handwind, clean dial, not too massive

i remember these panerai "homages" used to be all the rage on wus a while back and then sort of disappeared. they usually have marina militare on the dial.

probably a long shot since these don't seem like /wt/'s style but anyone know anything about these? some questions:

- do these have any sort of water resistance? i've seen people say no because it isn't indicated on the watch or seller, but others have said they are water resistant to 100m.
- what kind of movement is usually employed in these? are they decent or shitgarbage
- any recommended place to buy? crawl around on ebay or what
- any general advice on these

>- any general advice on these
Don't buy one, Panerai is the ultimate in dogshit the only thing worse is a shitty chink copy of one

>Digital vs Analog

itotd.com/articles/297/revenge-of-the-analog-clock/

Im not sure but i think this kind of royal oak is much more expensive than a chronometre bleu. Its a vintage model without the ugly font and ap logo at 12
That said, its still a fuckload of money either way kek

Guess I'll keep it around to learn from or sell it.

Is there guide to fixing the 7s26? Think I remember seeing some aussie one.

Why are smartwatches so useless holy fuck
reasons to buy a smart watch:

Hi fellow G-Shocker.

What's the thoughts on the Chris Ward C60 Trident Pro 600?

It seems like a very nice watch for the price.

That textured dial looks like shit, and those hands belong on a more dressey watch.

The face is disgusting. There are better Rolex homages

I supported this kickstarter project thing where the face syncs with google calendar and shows upcoming events shaded in on the watch. there are a few settings you can mess with, but that's the gist of the feature.

I'm really sick of smartwatches trying to "be more than they are" - kludgy, ugly boxish designs, really poor implementations of functions that i don't care that much about in the first place (sending someone my heart beat is an extremely salient example, but 90% of the time when i read a message i want to respond to it anyway, and at least half of the time i'd rather say more than *thumbs up*, so i need a screen larger than a watch face).

anyway, i digress. i like the idea of smart watches that are just that; watches (that happen to be "smart"). a watch that highlights your upcoming appointments is closer to that ideal (for me) than a watch that tries to be a dozen other things haplessly.

I got a brand new HMT Janta :3
Yours truly Aditya is very happy today.

>mfw he fell for the smartwatch meme

All 3 of my HMT mechanicals only the jubilee in between has a repaired dial the othe two Janta and vijay are both brand new.

Good stuff, hope you're enjoying them!

I have a Janata on the way as well.

i was pretty bearish about smartwatches in my post. did you just read the word and instinctively respond?

I find it pretty dumb to argue that it's neat to rob my focus and make me do additional calculations to read the time. For educational purposes? Sure it has its place.

But in everyday use, even if it takes only half a second, it's still time and energy wasted.

reporting in.

are you an Indian too?

Panerais make really good fakes though, very easy to copy designs and until very recently they used bogstandard movements like the 6497 with engraved bridges.

A chinese panerai 127 with the correct incabloc is basically the same as genuine.

Fakes are technically waterproof but it depends on the quality control (non existent) of the chinese factory that made it. There are plenty of watchsmiths who'll take the movement out and test it for you.

They'll tell you the movement that comes in the watch, it's a coinflip, but usually 6497 handwind is good, 7750 auto is flakey, at least for panerais.

Avoid the ebay sellers and look for replica forums that review and compare them.

Also wanted to post this , loads of people have done it before but hey I did it too, far far far more comfortable than the stock resin PoS.

thank you very much for the information

i will almost certainly go for the handwind, it's just hard for me to find out what movement they're putting into the pieces. the 6497 handwind you say is good, the 6497 is an eta/unitas movement right? so they should probably all be using a sea-gull st36? is there any other 6497 widely used in these apart from the st36?

as for sellers i found a thread on WUS for reputable sellers which entailed basically 5:

jacksontse
manbushijie
parniswatch
dajiwatch
getat (who apparantly take eons to ship the pieces, i will most likely not use that one)

again a long shot here but does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the reputations of these companies?

wus banned discussion of these pieces at the behest of panerai, so it's hard for me to just look there as i normally would

I am also looking to buy one of these two Casio.
AE1200WH or AE1300WH

I know I'll get them both eventually but atm only got money for one.
Appreciate it if anyone here would help me pick which i should get first.

Will this watch have the same locking bracelet as in the pic I googled? I already messaged the seller.

ebay.com/itm/A159W-Casio-Digital-Mens-Watch-/222124146648

you know about the case being just chrome painted resin though? you could change the bracelet but you can't change the case.

Yes, I do know about it. I also messaged them if it's marked with Japan markings on it.

>Rolex homage
Not all divers are Rolex homages, I'd say it's closer to a Seamaster homage if anything.

I have a strange request. I work in a biohazard filled environment and I need a dependable, easy to disinfect watch that can take an ass kicking. Also, I'd like it to be under 40$ as I have trouble putting much money into something I KNOW is going to be put through its courses. Also, digital please.

If you have any recommendations I'd be really grateful. Thanks, guys.

Different user chiming in.

The issue with both them and the real ones is that if you got bitchwrists they ain't gonna fit. Measure your wrist circumference first.

Second, reputable sellers will help, but it will still be a hit or miss. Either it's a decent copy, decent that works like shit and gains 5minutes per day or completely shit. 6497 is made to be bullet proof, so even with shit chink QC they usually survive well.

Under 40$ whatever you're going to find is going to be cheap plastic and resin that will break easily.

Cheapest 5600 Gshock is around ~60$ and will do the trick, otherwise Komadirskie's or used Amphibia's will also survive well.

That's totally doable for the price range. I'll take a look at some Casio g watches. Thanks for the advice.

you can get a dw5600 on amazon for around 40 dollars if you get free shipping

get an amazon prime free trial, buy a few things for the house to qualify for free shipping, or create a new email address and register a new account with amazon to get a free trial if you've already used up your trial in the past

Your flip phone couldn't tell time? Phones back then had a much better battery life.

What are you talking about? Most DW5600's go for around $40.

Or he is too young to have used a flip/dumbphone.

Only if you're from burgerland and you order from Amazon.

Cheapest internationally is about 55$, shipping included.

>Want to buy a watch
>Every watch looks like a meme
>Once that don't look too bland

Kill me.

No need to relive high school, user.

I know my Sistem 51 is not the best but at least it's built without the use of slave labour

What y'all think about any taghuer?

Counting that slave labor still made and operated those machines?

Let alone the fact the movement inside of that makes the 5$ Soki's look good.

dogshit

Quite tacky, get a Glycine instead

manbush is a good seller.
Other than the cool movement they get boring though; fast.
I gave my MM to my dad because he thought the handwinding was nostalgic and he liked how plain and visible the dial is.
I will say that the movement was accurate as fuck though. It gained a second during the day and lost it at night dial up. It would gain a minute every 2 weeks ish. Excellent for the price.

Oh no thanks I'm good. I was just validating my opinion making sure I wasn't the only one who didn't like them

It's Swiss made dude, blue collar workers have quite a good life here

How'd I do?
I'll order the Lad Weather and the Pulsar after my entrance exam, to motivate me or something

Not sure which one you meant.

But Tag just has shit quality for the price and tacky uninspired designs (minus homages to older Heuer models). Let alone their fiasco with the 1887 caliber.

Sistem51 are "Swiss Designed" and made in either China or another SEA country, definitely not Swiss made.

oops

watch-insider.com/reportages/exclusive-an-inside-view-of-the-eta-high-tech-swatch-sistem51-production-in-boncourt-in-the-swiss-jura/

You're wrong. Once again la Suisse demonstrates to be the greatest country on earth, not outsourcing jobs.

The name. ...
Why do that?
It just looks like they started writing, went "oh that won't fit, i will just drop the 'is' and.... perfect !"

>watchguy.co.uk/review-a-trip-inside-the-swatch-sistem51-eta-c10111/

Sounds like a good idea, how well is it implemented though?

Where to buy hmt now they are closing down?

I got lucky, mine is losing only 1 second per day. Anyway I'm proud to support our companies, a watch made in China or Germany will never touch my wrist.

How long does it take for an entry level automatic to stop/need servicing ? How much does full repairs cost in average ?

10 years minimum

Nice to know that they are Swiss made.

But they are still complete shit.

It all depends on the watch.

Ideally every 5~8 years a service would be good, but some could last 10~15 years.

Vostoks are known to work through for 30 years with ease.

I know buddy, but they plastic watches, nobody expect them to be Patek-Philippe tier

youtu.be/GoF4G_mKi-Q

Plastic casing doesn't have much to do with it. The movement is pathetic and the extra sprinkle of bullshit from Swatch on top doesn't help.

If it was a 20$ watch it would have been a different story, but you're paying 100~120$ for a watch that's inferior to a 60$ Amphibia or even the 30$ Komandirskie.

Lidl workers earns 4100 dollars per month here, what do you expect? Of course Swiss made stuff is way more expensive

What kind of question is this? Get the one that looks the best to you

Irrelevant, you're still paying more for an inferior product.

>Nice to know that they are Swiss made.
Swiss made in itself doesn't mean a god damn thing. It never has.

pic related

He's been kinda shoving the whole "local products, so let's support them" part.

I know that it doesn't mean shit, especially on these chink made and Swiss boxed Invictas.

The company name is actually Christopher Ward, Chr. is am accepted way to write it in company names. William is often displayed as Wm. Also.

The C60 Vintage does away with the textured dial so I might go for that. £660 seems like a good price for the watch, especially with the 5 year warranty.

I would actually consider the COSC chronometer version with an in house movement, it's got a 120 hour power reserve. But it only has the textured dial.

Analog-Digital masterrace reporting in.

Dat Time Factors nato strap quality, dope

Why is the moon in the moonphase of some watches gold? I know the moon sometimes shines in a golden color but mostly it's silver.

because it looks nice?

But it looks more like the sun than the moon and it can be confused with a day/night indicator. Also personally I think silver looks nicer.

anything to be had for 50 bong quid that doesn't involves ordering from outside the uk?

Either Amazon uk or your local fleamarket.