ITT Why Didn't You Stop It?

Unity has sucked ass basically from the beginning, and this is our best alternative? Is this 1996? If you want a GUI in Linux you have three options:

>OS X Clone

>Windows 95/XP/7 Clone

>Obtrusive "different for difference's sake" metro trash

Does this bother anyone else?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/varlesh/papirus-suite
paste.teknik.io/Raw/Oqzk6
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162098
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>2016
>using a GUI

thats because linux is shit. it has always been shit. if you werent such a retard you would know that

It's shit we make for ourselves, not MIcrosoft's Pajeet bullshit. I'm disappointed in the aesthetics in the Linux community

What's wrong with unity? It's pretty and it works.

Xfce is shit though. It's fucking dog shit and I hope it dies.

MATE is best DE

> GUI
Why even use one?

Unity is pretty good. Nothing wrong with it.

I understand and I do agree. However, the complaints are just as useless. I actually encourage for people to participate in the project and make it better.

I like fluxbox myself.

i3wm master race

>i used windows first so any operating system with the same features is a clone
>anything different is 'different for difference's sake'

the windows start menu introduced in vista is pretty much the gold standard. The only way it's improved upon is by a full screen menu rather than tiny thing. Having it open using super is glorious.

Trying to use a GUI without this feature is damn annoying.

If you hate it so much then fucking change it you god damn retard
It's not hard to install themes

Muh tiles

Does this please you user?

why not just use a WM and use xfce4-panel, fast and better than anything that a DE could ever offer

make your own gui, i use bspwm with tint2 as bar, and thats all you need, it looks cool and its better than other shit

>still needing desktop environment

Call me when we get an exact FOSS replica of the Windows taskbar.

No "look-alikes" or "clones", just PIXEL-PERFECT implementations like how ReactOS did it.

You know how to program, right? If you want something done right...

I like XFCE, it's comfy.

what front?

What do you like about atom?
Genuinely curious as I've never used it.

Jokes on you. I'm using KDE

You forgot all about all of the other options.

Jelus Winbabby

git diff integration

dunno. All aliased monospaced fonts look the same for me

Activate power mode

I'll never understand what people like about that.

/thread

Definitely one of the best I've seen

The older DEs objectively emulate old Windows OSes, it was the standard.

Theming shit into diamonds isnt progress. Not designing shit is progress.

do you seriously believe windows 10 looks good? they aren't making miracles either.
mate is none of the options you said. and ubuntu mate comes with different options like "mutiny, redmond, opensuse" etc. mate, kde and lxqt are the future of loonix

Loonix always breaks my heart because I always find something from every desktop environment that "grinds my gears" whether it's the bugginess of Unity or the screen tearing of xfce.

I'm typing from MATE now, but it's literally just focused on not fucking up classic gnome. As for Windows 10, it looks like shit and everything you do feels like you're in an 'app'. Same reason I hate KDE and Unity, it just feels too delayed and animated for a desktop.

enjoy your screentearing

>screen tearing of xfce
Compton is what you're looking for

It's probably just that the overlap between FOSS enthusiasts and (good and experienced) designers is pretty small.

>2016
>using a CLI

Compton has shit performance. I would rather use kwin on everything since it's the only compositor that doesn't have memory leaks and shitty optimization. It's also the only one that has minimal window moving lag on x11.

because lynx sucks

That's a goddamn beautiful font.

>Compton has shit performance
works flawlessly on my machineā„¢

I like gui.

You can make linux as A E S T H E T I C as you want.

I honestly don't care much what the gui looks like as long as it just werks and doesn't get in the way.

>Definitely one of the best I've seen
Found the problem; you have shit taste in everything.

great webbum, doesnt work in chrome

use kwin then.

>a good looking KDE desktop
Teach me master.
Also, how's Cantata? Been looking for a good non-GTK audio player.

designers don't work for free my man

Thanks Dude.I use the papirus Suite.
github.com/varlesh/papirus-suite
If you use arch it pulls every dependency for the whole suite so heres a script:
paste.teknik.io/Raw/Oqzk6
The sddm theme has to be installed manually.
Also make sure you try qupzilla v2.0 it is literally the fastest browser I ever(!!) used and integrates well into kde. Cantata is sick and because of mpd(mpd has to be running but you can use it without a config) handles large collections effortlessly.
Enjoy!

The Font is called Nimbus Sans L. You can find it if you have gsfonts installed.

How is this different from unity?

Default installation.. i think this looks really good

Cheers mate

Np. You got any questions I'll leave this thread open

Linux comes by default looking like shit, you can change it and be happy or come to Sup Forums and shitpost.

You cannot make that fucking launcher bar to not take 100% of screen height (or width if you've moved it to the bottom).

>app

I think it's comfy.

>not using i3wm

>not using dwm

Looks like Fira Mono or Source Code Pro. Those are the only ones I know off the top of my head that have the 0s look like that.

Post the cat pawing at xfce

>Not using the superior GNOME

antergos?

Dude. Use the arc Shell theme and change your icons to paper.

Alright I got i3, but I need a panel or something, what non-bloated shit do you recommend?

This is GNOME
Not a antergos-only DE

nice papirus.

What have you done to have nice fonts everywhere? Are fonts in gtk applications nice too? What distro?

I use arch and have infinality installed. Just changed the settings (in plasmasettings) to rgb and full hinting. I also use the fonts from the infinality bundle(they are supposed to be better.
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162098

Gtk applications look exactly the same but I have completely uninstalled gtk2 and 3 from my system so everythings in qt.

what firefox theme

What do you mean panel?

>Unity has sucked ass basically from the beginning

No shit. Why do you even care? Just ignore Unity. There have always been much better desktops available. MATE is good.

KDE can be good also.

but it is shit, its slower than compiz on unity and affects fullscreen gaymes/movies performance and creates frameskip when you use vsync in your games/movie player.
I mean its cool because its easy to set up and disables autism reactions to shit/no vsync on any obscure wm but it really is shit when compared to what unity/gnome/cinnamon/kde has.

I tested every compositor and de extensively. I gotta say kde compositor is on top by far. Mutter(from gnome) is completely shit. It's slow and looks like ass.Also not customizable. Compiz is great but is prone to crashing.

Arc theme is trash on gnome...

you tested this recently? on 3.18 and 3.20 mutter works really well, kde compositor works great on one vsync setting (dont remember which it was) when moving windows on top of other animated windows (i usially check with a movie player because 24 fps and firefox with agar.io because 60fps).

But i believe its because the dragged window is getting texturized while its moved (like when you resize it) so its just a workaround. Also i often get hangs when loading maps in steam games on kde (mainly cs go/dota and borderlands2.) so from my experience unity/gnome is best for steam (maybe because valve said that it will support gnome/unity)

Also i never got a crash from compiz but got many from kde - but i have not used any 5.X version of plasma long term.

> He doesn't know what Linux Mint Cinnamon is.

Mint 18 is near. And is going to be great.

Some people like GUI's.
Or some linux/GNU developer want to convert the normies.

enjoy your hijacked malware distro. Also the only distro that is literally a shittier version of ubuntu. Its like using windows applications on wine while you have a linux-native version.

Quite

>the current year
>using a screen

There are kids on this board who still haven't tried Cinnamon and made the switch.
It's the only desktop environment that is both beautiful and functional.

Are you one of them?

>malware distro

Sais the Amazon whore.

>Also the only distro that is literally a shittier version of ubuntu.

lol, no. The reason why mint is more popular than ubuntu is because ubuntu had gone downhill since unity retardation and amazon. Ubuntu is worse and the truth hurts for some people. Mint on a desktop PC humilliates ubuntu.

There are kids on this board who still haven't tried Cinnamon and realized it's shit.
It's the one of those desktop environments that are playing looking and not very functional.

Are you one of them?

>2000+16
>using an output peripheral

>fighting over shitty non-free Debian forks

>playing looking
What?

>recommends a non-free distro over other non-free distros

There's literally nothing wrong with GNOME. It's the official GNU DE, deal with it.

You can customize Xfce to look and work pretty much the way you want.

>>>playing looking
>>What?

>he doesn't know

what do you even want? with those descriptions you've pretty much ruled out any GUI that exists for any system anywhere.

Is that some type of pedo speech?

I like KDE.

>xfce was a straight CDE clone once
>popular *nix DEs like GNOME and KDE used to be an interesting blend of CDE and Windows

>now they're just slightly different spins on Windows XP and OS X to pander to the average modern freetard with baby duck syndrome who just uses GNU/Linux to feel smug

>roman fucking numerals for desktop names
>low-contrast icons and window controls but high-contrast notification/settings tray icons
>ugly minimalist dark as my soul theme with retarded looking circular/simple window controls whose consistency is ruined the second you run something that doesn't have a custom userstyle/icon set

That looks awful, it looks like it's actually broken.

/thread

>he thinks mint is more popular than ubuntu
wow nice more clicks on a noobwatch site
>mint>ubuntu
mate if without cannonical help managing the packages your mint would be in a sorry as state just like their debian edition

>using kde but wanabee minimalistic
wtf mate are you even trying