Modern-day VR is a meme playing on the hype of a Holodeck-level experience and """""""actual""""""" virtual reality...

Modern-day VR is a meme playing on the hype of a Holodeck-level experience and """""""actual""""""" virtual reality. Oculus, Vive, Morpheus and Gear are just screens, meaning they won't deliver anything you can't already experience with your current monitor and are only going to be a hassle to use compared to your current monitor. They are going to sell a couple million units and then no one will buy them when they realize it takes more energy to move around your head with a display strapped to it when you can just sit facing a nice large 1080p/4K display in natural light and get the same visual information.

Guarantee no one would give a shit about any of this pseudo-VR tech if they called it the 'Oculus HMD' on their original kickstarter

inb4 "it's just the 1st gen!!!" as if the iPhone is going to go from a phone to an interdimensional transporter in a couple of generations
and inb4 "FPS and racing games will benefit from this alot!!!" exactly what was said about motion controls but no one wants to flail their arms around like a retard when you can use a joystick with a lot less physical energy and achieve the same thing

Did you even tried one?

You sound just like my retarded uncle when he said "wow, user, I can't believe you bought a surround sound system. you know you only have two ears, right?"

If you don't want it, don't buy it, but don't say retarded shit to try to imply that you're better than everyone else because you don't want something.

Go buy a lifetime supply of soylent so you can start telling people how they're wasting their time by cooking and using spices.

Did I hurt your precious feelings? Too bad

Not my fault you fell for tech media's latest new meme

Btw, I love how you compare a head-mounted display to surround sound. Yeah, a head-mounted screen that is in no way different to your current screen technology, adds nothing to your visual experience that you could not already achieve with your desktop monitor, provides no new interactivity or feedback that you could get with your desktop display, is just like a surround sound system that provides high quality audio in 360 degrees from many directions as opposed to 2 sources or headphones that don't take into account the structure of the outer ear.

Surround sound tech gives you sound you would not be able to experience with a simple 2 speaker setup or a pair of in-ear headphones. "VR" or rather pseudoVR, does not provide anything that you could not get with your current monitor. They are definitely marketed better than desktop monitors though, that's for sure.

>did you even TRIED one

Opinion discarded. Do you only breath through your mouth?

>y-you just haven't tried it
>a bunch of really nebulous, irrelevant comparisons that make no sense
is this really the only shit pseudoreality tards can come up with to justify wasting thousands of dollars on a phone screen attached to an ugly face-mounted sensor array in order to become the smug, shit-eating audiophiles of the gaymer world?

Are you an idiot? How do you think technology develops? If it's popular and there's competition innovation WILL come

>THEY FELL FOR THE VR MEME

At the very least you have a decent display in a small form factor.

I prefer HMD to monitors in the first place.

The ability to simulate multiple monitors and have convincing depth is very useful for everyday use.

It's still pretty cool to fly a plane and drive a car with this level of control.

>military has had it for >20 years

Are you forgetting the Microsoft HoloLens?

>Surround sound tech gives you sound you would not be able to experience with a simple 2 speaker setup or a pair of in-ear headphones. "VR" or rather pseudoVR, does not provide anything that you could not get with your current monitor.
what are you even talking about? what about 3D, and a field of view greater than a monitor, and head tracking.
it's not like you'll get the same experience smooshing your face up to a monitor and crossing your eyes or something
are you honestly retarded? why am I responding to bait, ugh

That one isn't as they showed, during E3 they showed it all around the guy and all but from the people who tested it they said it has a small viewing window, essentially as if it were a screen.

i don't think anyone expects it to be more than that though

Sorry, I'm too busy shooting robots on top of a virtual skyscraper while literally dodging their fire to read this stupid shit

Agreed. Call it just a phone screen if you will, but as I sit on the couch in front of my TV I realize how relatively tiny this definetely-not-tiny TV looks from this distance in comparison to if what's on the screen is covering EVERYTHING I'M LOOKING AT.

>what are you even talking about?

You can't read? A HMD adds nothing to your visual experience that your current monitor can't give you. It is a 600-800 dollar brick strapped to your face with head tracking tech marketed as something that will be revolutionary in any sense of the word. It will sell some million units because of people being cucked in by the term 'VR' and, just like motion controls and 3D displays that require glasses, will be phased out when general consumers realize it adds nothing to their lives that their current tech doesn't already have.

>why am I responding to bait, ugh

Says the shitter replying with bait.

>glitchy-ass "exciting for half an hour" VR
>STILL no viable AR

You obviously haven't tried it. Try playing a fighter jet sim and tell me "it's the same".

You obviously haven't tried it, so at this point all your opinions are invalid.

>bumping this shitty thread

why...