OSX

Is OSX a well optimized operating system? What are its fundamental problems? I welcome any fanboys or hardcore critics of OSX to answer.

Other urls found in this thread:

cio.com/article/2868393/linus-torvalds-apples-hfs-is-probably-the-worst-file-system-ever.html
en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Linus_Torvalds
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Posh OS

OS X is more optimized than windows but not vs certain Linux distros. But here's a better question. Does it really matter? If it runs smooth who cares?

apparently their graphics system is a mess, blizzard won't develop overwatch for it after a long history of supporting macs

Sadly not. My 15" rMBP maxed out is driving me insane at work.
> changing song on spotify makes the wheel of doom appear for the whole OS
> scrolling lags on chrome with 15 tabs open
> the only browser that works well is safari, safari suck dicks
> our project takes 7s per simple request without any logic behind the webapp to render
> constant 80oC no matter what you do, unusable on your lap
> random overlay notifications do not disappear

Also look at the battery life. It's draining it faster than any other notebook I've seen, and they are still 70% battery.

Meanwhile Metal makes it very easy to create gpu intensive games. Blizzard just realised that making a Mac port would have been not as profitable as the Windows port, it'll come later, surely.

meanwhile most apple products are using integrated graphics

>Spotify
>Chrome
That's the third party software's problem.
Send them your concerns and hope for them to update the programs.

>safari sucks
How so? It works great for me, way better than Chrome, it even has more features than Chrome. It's also a good option if you have an iOS device, with handoff and iCloud tab/keychain synchronization.

>constant 80oC and quick battery drainage
Using Chrome can be the reason why your battery drains so quick. It's constantly in the intensive apps under the battery icon with me the moment i start it up and open a single web page. It also makes my Macbook Pro Retina's fans spin very loudly.

What I see here is just criticism on badly optimized third party software, not criticism on OS X.

Samba shares are kind of fucked
Finder needs to be fine-tuned
SIP was a bit much to prevent another malware outbreak
If you have applications assigned to different spaces then expect your desktop to switch back and forth as they all open upon booting

I only tried hackintosh. In my experience:

Pros:
>It has little things, little features that are still not available on Windows 10
>The global menu, given it's been always a feature for OSX works all the time and not partially like with Unity/MATE
>It's own applications work far better in OSX than they do on Windows, I think this is really intentional
>I bought a magic trackpad for cheap and I have to say it's actually fucking neat if you use BetterTouchTool. Made me use my mouse only for graphics editing.
>Overall looks consistent
>Safari remains faster for me than any other browser in any other operating system in my machine. I'm not kidding here.

Cons:
>Stutters a bit with a 7970. Animations are smooth until that one time where you're switching between desktops and suddenly it drops frames
>Gaming is unbearable, only way to play well is with vsync enabled at all times, I suspect this is due to desktop composition which can't be disabled. I suspect that mainly because I get the same results on linux if I'm using compiz, but no problems if I'm not.
>Finder can't arrange icons automatically by resizing the window, so at times I thought I lost shit until I resized it.
>iTunes, simple as it is, plays some of my music pretty garbled
>Need to pay to get a "stable" ntfs driver
>Or to pay to get this, or that, or the other thing
>Adobe programs have weird shortcuts

>> changing song on spotify makes the wheel of doom appear for the whole OS
that's pajeet at his best

>>Stutters a bit with a 7970. Animations are smooth until that one time where you're switching between desktops and suddenly it drops frames
yeah third party drivers can be like that.

run the same game on a mac pro (i know it's expensive af) but just do it then you'll see the truth of os x.

There's no third party drivers for AMD cards.

your other chipsets have a lot to do with overall performance. north/south bridge

>not certain Linux distros

yeah, can you show me those distros. i'm reeeally interested in finding one that can get 9+ hours of battery life on my rMBP. currently kali gives me 1 hour or less on a full charge. debian about 3-4 hours. and thats' with all the rice turned off.

Well, I am using a cheap motherboard so that might be true. A MSI H81M-E33.

i remember reading somewhere that someone had tried basically all of the linux distributions that would readily work with the rMBP and found that they all suffered compared to OS X.

it's a little disingenuous for people to claim that linux will give you longer battery life when it's empirically not true; there are lower-powered devices that will run linux, but if nobody is putting any work into making debian or ubuntu or whatever else really optimize performance on a rMBP, then don't expect to win any rMBP owners over on that claim.

and as an aside, i think i'd *really* like to run a low-power linux distribution on my rMBP. i mostly use zsh (-> ssh, vim, etc...) and sublime text anyway, so if some highly purpose-built operating system that just ran a shell and gave me like 2x battery life were available, i would at least dual boot it and i'd probably use it primarily.

>implying you wouldn't use any popular 3rd party programs
Yeah, then I prefer 150$ chinkbook. If the very same software work flawlessly on the same machine but different os this could mean
- software manufacturer fault for not optimizing the program
- OS manufacturer for not providing the means to optimize the programs

Lately apple has been even killing 3rd party APIs like opengl. If you really want someone to use preinstalled software - they can go and buy themselves a chromebook.

>OH YEAH?! Well it's not in this single, specific aspect!
. . .

>How so? It works great for me, way better than Chrome, it even has more features than Chrome. It's also a good option if you have an iOS device, with handoff and iCloud tab/keychain synchronization.
i'm like 90% sure that handoff works with chrome as well, but keychain synchronization probably doesn't. i think if you use iOS and you stick to one team or the other (safari on both or chrome on both), you get many of the same features. it just depends on whether you like the apple ecosystem more than the google one.

OS X has absolutely no drivers at all, lacks any decent vidya and has a severe lack of software to boot.

Like, every complaint aimed at Linux distros are amplified ten-fold in OS X.a

What are ya talking about?! OS X has drivers for like SIX different computers! SIX!!

>cio.com/article/2868393/linus-torvalds-apples-hfs-is-probably-the-worst-file-system-ever.html

>I claim that Mach people (and apparently FreeBSD) are incompetent idiots
>My personal opinion of Mach is not very high. Frankly, it's a piece of crap. It contains all the design mistakes you can make, and even managed to make up a few of its own.
>I think Leopard is a much better system [than Windows Vista] … but OS X in some ways is actually worse than Windows to program for. Their file system is complete and utter crap, which is scary.
>en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Linus_Torvalds

install gentoo

Arch Linux with i3, or Gentoo Linux with i3.

Snow Leopard is goat, everything after that is pretty unspectacular

It's file system sucks.

Apple haven’t been “killing” 3rd party APIs like OpenGL. They just haven’t updated it to the latest available versions. Instead, they built Metal.

>apparently their graphics system is a mess
Not really. OS X simply uses OpenGL, it's just that developers have to bring DirectX games to OpenGL to run on Mac, and unless you are a really big developer/your game is already using OpenGL it might not be worth it, as the time put into it might not translate into extra profit.

Also games like Crysis 3/Battlefield 4/Doom and such won't be brought over to OS X because there are no Macs (that aren't Hackintoshes) that can run them at decent settings (weak GPUs + high resolution screens).

Also, unfortunately, OpenGL on OS X isn’t up to date, which is frustrating.

OSX is only well optimized for the proprietary hardware that it runs on. Because of this you are forced to use their hardware which is overpriced and has more powerful cheaper alternatives or use a glitchy hackintosh that is incompatible with AMD processors without using an unstable custom kernel.

>Is OSX a well optimized operating system

you'll get better performances in game with windows or linux on a mac.

>What are its fundamental problems?
Applel script kiddies can't even write a bug free hello world.