Why did Linux on the desktop fail?

Why did Linux on the desktop fail?

Maybe because it was never meant to be a desktop but a server OS

Linux is losing market share in servers like mad.

Consumer technology is just cancer, if something becomes successful or not has nothing to do with quality or usability, only with mass marketing.
When it comes to tech, peolpe have less mental abilities than an ape, just see the backlash taht Win8 got just becasue of the start menu.

GUI sucked. All of the userbase is made up of wanna-be hackers.

oh no, i bet their stock is plummeting

GNU/Linux/Google is winning in the classroom. In a few years it will be dominating the most important ones. It's over, MS is a secondary.

Hi - Linux desktop user here. I am have little interest in classic hacking and only a modest interest in network security, please revise your statistics. Thank you!

>GNU/Linux/Google
I think you mean Google/Linux.
Chromebook nor Android use GNU.

Did it though?
It has a small, but very vocal, minority. Pretty sure once mainstream applications like photoshop and video games are running natively on Linux then windows 10 will start losing market share rapidly.

If you want it to happen sooner, try convincing a large laptop manufacturer like HP or Dell to start making Linux netbooks for cheap, since Linux is more than enough for note taking and facebook.

Linux was developed for desktop use on Linus Torvald's i386

no their not....pass that good shit you smoking on senpai.

less users are downloading linux because cloud servers are on the rise....WHICH RUN LINUX

>they tried with ubuntu laptops
>it didn't work

OpenGL is on the rise though, hopefully we can get rid of DirectX, because I honestly don't want to update my win 8.1 just to get DX12

The difference is that people bought laptops as portable desktops. I'm suggesting only using Linux on netbooks since nobodies going to use photoshop or okay video games on those.

Plus Ubuntu or Ubuntu mate will run great on those. 2GB ram is horrible to have on windows, but in my experience for the same use it's more than enough on Ubuntu.

Netbook = facebook, YouTube, and documents. Ubuntu can do all of those.

Linux "netbooks" are already working with Chromebook.

Canonical was just shit at marketing.

Or play video games *

People that still buy laptops as desktop replacements wouldn't buy a $199 netbook.

I would be using Ubuntu on my asus tablet if wireless drivers worked simply because the ui is better on a touch screen and it's more efficient with system resources. Too bad about wifi though...

Chromebooks rely too much on the cloud though.

Because Microsoft paid companies to put Winshill.exe on it and the average ignorant consumer assumed it was the best

lol to what?

No one really gives a shit about desktop anymore.

I. stop reposting this you FUCK
II. because these & some more programs are not for linux because there aren't enough people using linux because there are programs not for linux...

>Why did Linux on the desktop fail?
No customer/technical support support.

Businesses like support, they like to transfer liability and responsibility externally, and they like to be able to blame an external party when shit goes wrong.

It's all part of contemporary business management. Mitigate your faults by blaming IT, or the business analyst, consultant, contractor, whoever. Then you maximise your successes by misattributing benefits of external success to bullshit, unquantifiable things like "vision" and "initiative" because the guy who did the actual quantifiable work installing a faster machine, or retraining your guys has given you his invoice and is already long gone.

bsd probably

enjoy you nsa,cia,fbi .... windows 10

Adobe has said Photoshop will not come to linux since it isn't worth their time and resources to develop and maintain it for such a small userbase.

why do they make photoshop for mac then ?

I don't think it failed because of no turbonormalfag appeal. GNU/Linux is the perfect turbonormalfag oc, it just werks, just show them how top open the browser.

It's the intermediate users who get trouble with gnu/linux. Any non-default functionality is a huge pain in the ass to configure.
GNU/Linux is very convenient if you don't customize much of anything and just use it out the box.
The moment you need to change something, there's this huge skill gap where you pretty much have to dedicate serious time to learning the OS.

There's no middleground, is what I'm saying. GNU/Linux is great if you're either computer illiterate or a computer enthusiast.

Also, I still can't figure out how to set up a paremetric equalizer on gnu/linux.

No one was there to market it. An OS for general consumers has to compete with others in the field and just like every other product, if you don't market yours, you won't grow your market share.
The merits of the technology aren't as important.

because there are 7 times as much people using macs over linux, photoshop had been for mac since beginning and it's a tradition, a high percentage of os x users uses photoshop

Because it is a much larger userbase for them. An overwhelming number of designers use macs, programs like Sketch are mac only. If you're in the business of making software for designers, you absolutely have to target mac users, linux and even windows can be ignored.
Think of programs like Sketch, Affinity, Glyphs, Pixelmator... all mac exclusive.

Why can't the FLOSS community come up with an image editor that could be an alternative to photoshop?

It's not even an issue of coding prowess or super secret filter and healing brush algorithms adobe has.
90% of the time when using photoshop, I only utilize very basic features like brushes, resizing, cropping, color correction, level adjustment, etc.

No, it's an issue of interface design. The FLOSS community seems to be utterly incapable of designing an interface that would support a smooth and fluid workflow.

GIMP, for example, is very powerful software that is painful, painful to use.
Why is that? Is it because the programmers who write design softare don't use design software themselves?

just force them over to windows and save a lot of money

Who says it has failed? Reasons for it not being as popular as it maybe should be IMO are:
1: Almost every new machine comes with Windows. Windows works just fine out of the box for 99% of all users. So why bother replacing something that works? If it ain't broke don't fix it.
2: Extension of #1 - Windows is familiar. People are generally scared of the unknown.
3: Too many choices mean people get confused. Yo mamma don't really care if she is using GNOME, Xfce, Unity or whatever. She just wants something that works.
4: Most major distributions might have 99% of everything just werking out of the box but when something does not work it is (from a normie point of view) a nightmare to get it to work.
5: Most things are optimised for Windows due to marketshare (see #1 again) hence most things are easier.

Currently running Linux on both desktop and laptop. Desktop no issues at all. Laptop has some things that work on Win7 but not on Linux. Screen brightness through FN keys (, tap-to-click with the trackpoint and finally fingerprint scanner. First two I might be able to fix, the last one seems unfixable as there are no drivers for my device and I do not posses the skills to write my own driver.

It didn't fail, people are still using it with no problems.

Did you enable the single-window mode first? I find GIMP pretty fine for quick memes.

why is the grave so shallow, Sup Forums?

>GIMP, for example, is very powerful software that is painful, painful to use.
You think so? I think it's fine for making hilarious images to post on Sup Forums.

For example, I made >pic related with it.

This tripfaggot speaks true. We should push for Linux netbooks.

It takes resources to make these things, making software is one thing, making a product in another.
Take Krita for example, good software that relies on Kickstarter campaigns to develop new features. It isn't doing well with marketing and that is the problem that is faced by most foss programs.

they'll just switch to Sketch, Pixelmator and other programs listed in

I do.
I'm still kinda sceptical about all these claims of "phones and tablets will make desktops obsolete".
OK, sure, the average user doesn't care about being in control of his computing, which most mobile solutions don't allow, I get that. But what about the fact that tablets and phones are entirely consumer machines? You can hardly write a program on a tablet (not only because of obvious input problems, but also because the ecosystem is shit). Or write a book. You can draw better than on desktop, but what about resource-hungry emulation and 3D modelling programs?
There are the obvious problems with input which is objectively inferior to keyboard+mouse scheme. They've been making good progress here with all these new design guidelines, but I'm still not sure it will ever get as comfortable as a desktop.
There are still the obvious issues of mobile devices in general not being as powerful performance-wise, though that will only matter in some areas, like video games and, again, some kinds of productive work.
Small screens are not always comfortable to work with either. There was a reason widescreen became popular. Tablets and phones are good because they are portable, but what about when you don't care about portability, but instead about things being comfortable?
And honestly, while I didn't work much with either iOS, Ubuntu or Sailfish OS so I can't comment on them much, Android still seems massively inferior to even Windows in capabilities and design, and that's certainly not because Windows is a paragon of well-designed systems. That could be less of a problem if these other options really are good, though.
I can see phones and tablets becoming even more widely used, but I don't think desktops will just entirely stop being a thing. Most likely, they will be used less by consumers, but most people will still have one at home.
Well, or if I'm wrong, at least I hope mobile gets better first. I wouldn't want to switch entirely to it in its current state.

Yes, but most, "consumers," also have jobs. Doesn't that mean they will also always be using PCs?

The same reason Windows failed in mobile. They take something designed for X and then try and make it work for Y.

Windows was designed for desktops and then they tried to make it work for mobiles.

Linux was designed for servers and then they tried to make it work for desktops.

Using Linux on my desktop fine desu senpai

Any pleb can code, but doing good UX can be incredibly hard

I actually prefer GIMP over Photoshop, maybe because I've been using it since I was 11 but still - Photoshop has too many unnecessary shit (which is maybe useful when you're doing some professional work, IDK, all I've ever done was some small projects for friends and friends' acquaintances for pennies).

Nice bait.

this is retarded. servers are setup to running software, not masturbating. what is the point of runing bsd if none of your stack running on it?

>look mom, I posted it again

It didnt fail it just never cared to succeed the way you think.

Its a great tool for people who know what they are doing. Its just that other operating systems are deigned to heard the sheep and linux doesnt care about that.

Thats why it is succefull behind the scenes and only mainstream when a company like google wants to use it to heard sheep. Or to a much lesser extent canocicle.

So everything is moving behind a black box in the cloud and general purpose computing is dead.

protip= it didnt

Win 10 will finally kill MS. Advertising in your OPERATING SYSTEM? HAHAHA suck my fat cock you hasbeens. I'm a user, not a used.

I like Linux and use Ubuntu as my main desktop OS but you can't deny that most desktop environment for Linux are buggy. xfce runs amazing but has screen tearing, Plasma is getting really good but is still buggy, cinnamon is a good GTK3 based "windows-like" alternative to GNOME but I still encounter weird bugs from time to time.

My preferred desktop environment is actually Unity because of the nice implementation of global menus but it's buggy.

I personally feel that Chrome/Chromium OS will end up being the most popular "Linux distro". It has the only desktop environment that I've never encountered any bugs in.

linux on my desktop works fine. Don't assume everyone else has the same problems you do.

the real reason GIMP sucks is because it has 0 RAW/DNG support so photography is a nicht nicht with it unless youre handling film scans in tif and even then it doesnt support 32-bit colors