/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of March 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES

News:
>Moto Z and Moto Z Force announced with SD820, 5.5-inch QHD AMOLED displays, has no headphone jack
gsmarena.com/moto_z_and_moto_z_force_announced_with_motomods_snapon_attachments-news-18731.php

>Lenovo announces two Phab devices, Phab2 and Phab2 Plus with 6.4 inch screens
theverge.com/2016/6/9/11882514/lenovo-phab-2-plus-pro-tango-google-specs-announce-smartphone

>Cyanogen OS 13.1 update is now out with new MOD features
gsmarena.com/cyanogen_os_131_update_is_now_out_with_new_mod_features-news-18747.php

>Deal: LG G4 for just $210, LG G3 for $130
androidauthority.com/deal-lg-g4-just-210-lg-g3-130-697769/

>Video: Hands-On With The Lenovo PHAB2 And PHAB2 Plus
androidheadlines.com/2016/06/video-hands-on-with-the-lenovo-phab2-and-phab2-plus.html

>Video: Hands On With the Moto Z and Moto Z Force
androidheadlines.com/2016/06/video-hands-moto-z-moto-z-force.html

Other urls found in this thread:

theverge.com/2016/6/10/11889750/sony-xperia-x-review-price-phone-specs
androidauthority.com/xiaomi-redmi-3-review-679545/#software
youtube.com/watch?v=L8e_0nEETq0
forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g3/development/rom-fulmics-rom-3-0-tweaks-hub-ota-v30b-t3304556
alphagamers.net/threads/spotify-music-ver-4-8-0-978-beta-patched.131326/
netzgewitter.com/2013/10/troubleshoot-cifs-on-android/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

got a moto g3
and im fine with it

but i feel like spending money, what flagship should i get?

S7.

not lg g5. the others are fine.

S7 for sure.

>Sony Xperia X review: X marks the flop

theverge.com/2016/6/10/11889750/sony-xperia-x-review-price-phone-specs

"perhaps if we keep our high prices while using outdated hardware, people will buy our phones"

First for nexus 6p is still superior to S7 in overall performance

The Exynos says otherwise :^)
Shame you can't use the S7 as a hand warmer

The nexus 6piss doesn't have a microsd slot.

>New Motos exclusively Verizon

is it stupid to get a refurbished iphone 5s now in 2016?

Yes.

see

thank you

Should I fall for the shark meme in CSG and buy a shark for my s7?

I have already 32 gb and my sister needs a microsd but I don't know if I should fall for that meme.

What's the recommended rom for Xiaomi phones?

I don't think I should trust china and use the stock

it isn't that slower compared to the SE, what's the problem?

so I choose my next smart phone
a budget choice
>Xiaomi redmi 3 Pro Prime
>5" at 720p
>4100 battery
>140€

now read this review
androidauthority.com/xiaomi-redmi-3-review-679545/#software

>Also bad news is the fact that Xiaomi has started locking more bootloaders. To our dismay, the Xiaomi Redmi 3 is one of the affected handsets. This is for your security, but tinkerers can still play around if they are patient.

>Xiaomi is requiring users to apply for unlocking privileges and await an acceptance or denial response, which Xiaomi says can take up to 10 days to receive. It’s good to keep phones secure for the casual user, but we feel this process is a bit to inconvenient. And we feel that Xiaomi’s process for unlocking only invites malware to be preloaded on devices leaving China, as users will have a very tough time removing it.

>You should probably not expect too many updates for this phone. We know that sounds pretty bad, but it is super affordable and does what it is meant to do, which would put it in the low-priority list in most cases. However, we should also note that MIUI does receive updates of its own, which are released relatively frequently.

how big of an issue is some semi-locked bootloader?
and also comes the idea, what if the phone is pre-malwared when it comes to me?
any way to reliably do clean-install?

Get a patriot instead, 128GB is like $29 on amazon. I got a 32GB shark once. Data was corrupted after a few days. Never again.

>what flagship should i get?
anything that has an unlockable bootloader, rootable, SD card slot, and removable battery.

getting anything else is fucking dumb and you might as well get an iPhone.

>SD810
>superior to anything
KYS.

>how big of an issue is some semi-locked bootloader?
enough of an issue that you shouldn't buy a phone that has one.

Xiaomi.eu debloated ROM if you like MiUi
AOSP or CM13 if not.

>SD810 is bad meme

I have a T-Mo G3

I am currently running stock MM but the fact that when I copy my passwords from keepass it shows up on the clipboard annoys me to no fucking end, but I really do enjoy a working GPS and camera.

Which one of these should I choose

It's not an issue.
You request an unlocking code from Xiaomi and get it 4 days later. then you can flash the official roms.
If you don't wanna do that, you can ask the shop your'e buying the phone from do it for you. there was an user a few days ago that bought RN3P and asked the shop to install global rom on it and it arrived fine.

Only one current phone matches what you said, the LG G5, and it's got poor build quality and is likely to have poor support - see LG G4 bootloops

It's certainly not good, it was rushed out

You are right. There's usually an unofficial CM built by some Chinese students. You may also go deeper and compile it yourself.

This fucking chinkphone has better specs than the new $550 sony phone

>got poor build quality
So put a case on it like literally every other phone. The features I mentioned ARE what sets Android phones apart from iPhones on the most basic level. If you don't have them, then don't bother with Android.
>is likely to have poor support
Literally who gives a fuck? Did you miss the part where I said unlockable bootloader and rootable? If LG or whomever your carrier is says "lol fuck this model" then people on XDA or elsewhere will ALMOST ALWAYS keep supporting the phone for years. Even the Galaxy S2 still gets support.

youtube.com/watch?v=L8e_0nEETq0

Not a meme, it's the worst flagship soc in recent history.

Fulmics.
forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g3/development/rom-fulmics-rom-3-0-tweaks-hub-ota-v30b-t3304556

It's okay m8, just don't use the big cpu cluster for more than 2 minutes at a time and you won't even notice.

I was thinking about this, but I don't know what the "sharpening mod" does. Can you explain it to me, preferably with comparison pics?

im just selling my z5c right now

It removes the stock over sharpening, which adds a "halo effect" around fonts. Turning it off makes it look nice and clean like any other phone, it's a massive improvement really.

LG G4 bootloops were due to hardware not software

I guess build quality is subjective but no other flagships besides the 6P have it called into question

Ah okay. I will use the disabled setting then.

Does anyone know of any alternatives to Titanium Backup? Helium is broken on MM right now, and I can't seem to find anything that will just backup my apps+data and pack them into a flashable zip.

What would you guys suggest as the most reliable phone in the 150-180$ category? Looking for something with good battery capacity, and life, powerful processor and memory, instead of better camera and display features. Read about the redmi note 2-3, honor 6, the infamous oukitel k1000 and etc... yet i cant decide which would be the best option.

I don't trust china in general, not just the sellers, chinese students either, what are my options if I'm going to compile the rom myself, just CM13?

>sonyshills

Wait for iPhone 7 or buy S7 now?

>samsung
oh sweet child

Unarguably the top dog at this point, besides Applel.

ok but it has t*uchwiz

Touchwiz in 2016 isn't really touchwiz, it's pretty much enhanced stock if you use a theme and good lock

Enjoy your chinkshit, touchwizz is a bad meme now.

If you want to wait for Ios sure, do so, S7 is awesome though so if you want a phone now you won't regret it

Will iOS 10 have more features from Android as suggested?

As in, actually being able to customize your shit or having a file manager.

No chance

depends on what you do with your phone as always

Uh, why would you even dream that?

They've been so successful thus far with with phones that do nothing at all compared to the competition, what makes you think they'd change their game now?

Ask an average iphone user if they miss not having a file manager and see what kind of reaction you get.
Simplify it: ask them is they are bothered by the relative difficulty of accessing their files.

They don't know what a file is.

About to buy the Moto X Play (Droid Maxx) for 230 pounds/300 euro.
Am I an idiot or is this okay?

It's shit. Get a 5x.

Is has a microsd card slot, it's great!

>encouraging people to get a phone without a microsd card slot
troll

I was looking at the 5x, it's a little dearer, but its got better specs and a fingerprint scanner if youre into that. Really all the moto x has on it is the affordability and that huge battery (and a bigger screen I guess)

Don't forget the microsd slot. You know the thing that makes an android phone a smart choice?

most people in this thread are iphone migrants and literally don't care or even know what a microSD card is.

All of my phones have had microSD, and I've enjoyed that. I don't think I have ever taken full advantage of it though since they were all 2gb cards, with one being 8gb and going in my kindle fire. Is the difference in specs worth the slot?

How much is the One+3 really gonna cost for Bongland and do you gotta worry about customs when you order from them?

Thanks Cock Docks

>worth the slot?
if you have to ask then stick to iPhone m80.

Guys whats the cheapest chink phone with flagship specs out there?

Should I get the iPhone SE? I like the design and kinda wanna see what it's like to have one been and Android fag for the past few years

Or LG G3 vs Moto X Play? If anyone has experiene there? They are the same price

android's all about options, if you've never felt the need for a microSD slot don't worry about it

What are some good paid Android apps that I can pirate? :3

have fun with itunes lmao

kys

Spotify with the no ads patch is bretty good

Yes! I love it. You need an account to download from the forum, sorry I don't have a direct link.
alphagamers.net/threads/spotify-music-ver-4-8-0-978-beta-patched.131326/

I managed to mount windows share on my android tablet, running latest cyanogenmod 13 nightlies.

Here is my experience:

The cifs kernel module is fucked on cyanogenmod. You need to specify the share name twice - once as device name, and once as unc parameter.

I also had issues with non-ascii chararcter turning into question marks, with iocharset=utf8 option ignored for the mount command. somehow, I got it to work by reordering options - putting iocharset=utf8 right after unc=

Finally, I had to switch selinx to permissive mode for apps to be able to work with mounted directories, using setenforce command.

I put everything into a shell script, and saved it to /sdcard/mount.sh:
#!/bin/sh

setenforce 0

mkdir /mnt/cifs
mkdir /mnt/cifs/buffer

mount -o unc=\\\\192.168.1.34\\buffer,iocharset=utf8,username=Leaf,password=voidvoid -t cifs \\\\192.168.1.34\\buffer /mnt/cifs/buffer

I then installed Automation app and created an icon to run "sh /sdcard/mount.sh" as root.

Now I can open my stuff using any apps as if it was on a device itself, and so can you.

Recommended reading: netzgewitter.com/2013/10/troubleshoot-cifs-on-android/

Wait so I can't transfer music/pics from my PC to an IPhone?

You can, but only through iTunes.

Had a note 4 and battery died on me after a year, makes me nervous now. (I can replace in Note 4 for $15, not so much with the new stuff)

You have to use iTunes.

It has a 2 year warranty.

is there any phone smaller than 5.5" that is similarly spec'd to the Nexus 6? I seriously love this phone until I have to put it in my pocket, but I don't want to downgrade too much.

How much do specs even affect performance if I rarely have more than 2 or 3 apps going at the same time anyway?

galaxy s7

>this
props to samshit for not making it 5.1". when the rumors about there not being a plus version came out I was worried they'd fall for the "bigger is better" meme and just kill the small line. based samshit

Anything in the ~$200 range? used is fine.

True, S7 is perfectly sized.

Nexus 5x?

have fun with itunes lmao

Sony z5 compact is the smallest current android semi-flagship.

I can't decide between iPhone SE 64 gb and Sony Xperia Z5 Premium.
Somehow I got used to iPhone 5s size and its pure usefulness, but I wonder which phone is *actually* better to spend money on and will I regret switching to Z5? With iPhone I know what I'm buying, but with Sony it could be great, it could be not just as good...

...until an S7 mini comes out.
(which it might)

>Sony
>$200 range

If you're used to iPhone the Z5 premium is one of the worst choices

An S7 would be better for a closer to iPhone experience in terms of build, camera, performance

A 4k screen is also a huge battery killer

stay away from the 810's

Thanks, but please explain why do you think Z5 is one of the worst choices specifically compared to S7.

I've only had bad experiences with Samsung over the decade and a half (already?) and I'm kinda superstitious. I have best experiences with Sony and Apple, I don't even consider some fourth options.

What's the cheapest phone with a good camera that can record good quality videos?

new or used

>checked

Z5 have snapdragon 810 SoC, which was an unredeemable heap of shit. It throttles down to 300 mhz after 2 minutes under load.

new

check out the htc 10 if you are dropping that much money and like a non-phablet

now we wait

Oh. OH. Well, shit. I thought it actually could be good. Good design, 4k, company...eh.
I might as well upgrade this little brick (5s) and be content for the next couple of years.