Is it worth buying a NEW thinkpad?

I'm looking at the Lenovo site using the corp discount but the site is so bloated and has awful design. Is there a quick way to compare models, I was thinking of buying a new x260. I really only like buying things that recently came out. I really hate buying used hardware, are "new" thinkpads still worth it. The x260 with 1080p screen is about 856 usd for me.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=o_9OqItJKl8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If you insist, yeah, go ahead and buy one, but you can still buy brand new older models and refurbished ones that are fully upgradeable and will preform way better than the ones you're looking at.

But I don't want a used laptop... And my thinkpad configs end up being 1k+ and I don't even want a desktop replacement. I just want a reliable laptop that will last me a few years, also it feels like I'm playing the lottery with the new thinkpads. Some of them have screen problems (x1 carbon) and headphone dc issues.

Nope, you're better off getting a RX480 it's only $199

Used ThinkPads are a great deal.
When I was an underage shit I also thought that used hardware was crap but with ThinkPads you get pretty good machines for very cheap.

I don't live in the US and I simply never buy anything used.

I don't live in US and my first used hardware was a ThinkPad.
I'm very happy with it, it's pretty much the best laptop choice you can make right now

I routinely purchase used thinkpads in bulk and its not unusual to come across machines as old as the *x00 series that are in immaculate condition. No reason to buy new when you can get such a bargain used. You could buy two if you're concerned about reliability and still save a ton if cash. Most of the used thinkpads are from corporate leases, so they have light wear and rarely any semen stains. Rubbing alcohol is great for both cleaning and disinfecting if you're a germophobe.

I DON'T WANT TO BUY USED HARDWARE HOW HARD IS IT TO UNDERSTAND? The thing is every fucking thinkpad thread talks about used thinkpads, I wouldn't make a thread if I wanted one. I know they are probably great but I simply don't want to buy used.

So you're just a braindead consumer whore?
Fuck off from here then, people here actually use their brains when purchasing tech and we despise retards like you

>You don't want the buy this thing USED so you are a retard.
Okay. Same reason why I hate macfags is this type of hivemind. Can't really see why some people wouldn't want to buy something USED?

they're pretty good compared to the older models. the keyboard is a little worse in the regards to layout, but the clitmouse buttons are back from when they dropped them from the middling models.
I'm thinking of buying one, so this is what I've found.

There's no logical reason to avoid used laptops. A new keyboard is 20 dollars and a pint of rubbing alcohol is 4. I suppose you're one of those dandies that doesn't use a public restroom either.

> cate = pepe
> doge = wojak
can you see it ?

It's not just a random used laptop
It's a used business one. Companies buy them in bulk for their employees and once they are done with them they sell them cheaply. They remain in pretty good condition and you pay only 1/5th or less of the original price

So you are not capable of buying anything other than used products? Is this some kind of stallman communist bullshit? You realize if everyone buys used there is not going to be a new product? Also how hard is it to fucking understand that I don't want a used product? Not everyone wants to save a few hundred dollars and buy used. Why do people buy new cars? Why do people build their houses? etc, etc. I'm not saying used thinkpads are not good, I simply don't want them but you retards fail to suggest an alternative.

Fuck off to /r/thinkpad then.
You'll find idiots similar to yourself who also buy the newest shinny computer so they can browse facebook and watch pewdiepie

>muh capitalist utopia

Go away. Buying used saves the environment and helps to starve China's economy. Put forth a logical reason for buying new and I'll accept it. "I just don't want to" is the argument of a petulant child.

I'm not poor and I want a reliable purchase that I don't have to clean or look for semen stains before using it. Also I'm not retarded enough to get a MBP. Thanks for the help guys!

It's not that buying new means the product is going to be shit, it's just that it's going to be incredibly expensive without all that much to show for it. If you want to pay the price of a Macbook for an extra 30 minutes of battery life and the peace of mind in knowing that no one has ever taken that laptop into the bathroom, no one's stopping you.

I also think that OP is a fucking retard for not getting an used thinkpad and getting a new one but whatever, let him be.

Every consumer grade computer is shit. Shit hinges. Shit heat dissipation. Shit plastic. Shit keyboard. Shit repairability.

You have to understand Sup Forums is composed of autists. I hate to endorse anything Jewgle, but it sounds like the Chromebook Pixel might be a good fit for you - just install your favorite distro on it.

If you're really that hell-bent on getting a thinkpad brand new, I suggest getting a *50 series one, you can still cop these machines unused, they have basically the same performance and a better price.

But your question was 'Is it worth buying a NEW thinkpad' - it's not. Buying a Thinkpad new if you're not a corporation is like going out with a 15 year old girl - it's way too soon. Just wait till she gets older bro.

Besides, older thinkpads have legacy features the newer ones doesn't - 7row keyboard with dedicated mute/volume keys, thinklight, easily removable battery, better upgradebility, shittier screens etc.

Why would I buy it over a mac?

I don't know. It's certainly more affordable, design is decent, has a 3:2 screen. You can't buy nice new laptops without paying through the nose.

>15 is way too soon

wut?

They are in the same ballpark and macs actually have decent OS + better ssd that doesn't rely on the cloud. I like the idea of the chrome pixel but I don't think it's ready yet.

>better ssd

It's bullshit. You won't notice the difference between sata ssd and pci-e ssd unless you routinely move dozens of gb of data at a time. There are very few use cases where its worth the extra cash.

>better OS

That comes down to preference.

>I don't think its ready

Its an ultrabook without the price gouging. You've obviously never used one.

Build quality of the chromebook pixel is amazing. I'm still not buying a 3:2 laptop with 32 gb storage. Also macs have way better resale value and I can develop for iOS. I just don't fit the niche market that the chromebook is aimed for. I don't want a MBP but If I really don't see why I would buy a chromebook over it.
youtube.com/watch?v=o_9OqItJKl8

You can install any linux distro on the pixel and the ssd is easily upgradable.

Yes but it's still $999 for the base model...
So for $200 extra (education discount which is easy as fuck to get) I get native Mac OS support and a better performing laptop + better resale value because of mac fanboys.

I just can't find good used thinkpads for a decent price in my country, i understand OP.

Damn that is why I will never get a cat

I can't either.

Yet bought a t420 from the US, $120 in USPS shipping fees alone + $40 in customs.

Guess what, it still has better price/performance than the consumer shit sold over here for higher.

lol no dude, new think pads are memes now stop being a bitch and get your t420 for about 150 dollars. Instead of spending 150 dollars on a garbage laptop with barley new specs.

Why would I buy that If I already have a decent laptop but I want a better one?

Listen to him, you just don't date kids. Trust us.

You all focus on listing the reasons why the used ThinkPads are better, and what for? If I had enough money, I would also buy a new one just to give it a try, but that's totally beyond the point. Do you know ANYTHING about the new ThinkPads? Have you used one? If not, why do you even bother posting, OP said he wanted information about the new models and not the old ones.

Bumping cause I am also interested how good the new ThinkPads are. I have an old X220 and it's hard to imagine something better than that, maybe except a brand new battery and silly stuff like backlit keyboard instead of the ThinkLight (no hate please, I honestly don't need to illuminate anything beside my keyboard).