Why is there a major price gap in consoles and pcs? Consoles are capable of performing as modern desktops...

Why is there a major price gap in consoles and pcs? Consoles are capable of performing as modern desktops, yet they are locked down to only play games. A modern gaming PC however, at least $600?

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/7ZrMpb
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ZGF0TQY?pc_redir=T1
pcpartpicker.com/list/v8XRBP
pcpartpicker.com/list/Np4pgL
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The cost of having set up the console in such a way that it requires virtually no experience or foreknowledge to operate it.

If you're in the business of building computers for people, it's something to consider. People will pay a big premium on something that seems to handle itself.

They do it to stop piracy

I don't understand how is this even a fucking question? You can do an infinite ammount of things with a computer, it's not even comparable to a fucking console

Consoles have cheap APUs and unified memory that would suck in simple tasks such as zipping files or decoding video.

Also, they are basically crappy PCs, and the "console image and feel" is the only thing that keep illiterate people to be aware of it. If they behave more as PCs all the "charm" would be lost.

>consoles have cheap apus
Only this generation have apus.

prior to this generation most consoles were made at a loss and then made profit off accessories and royalties from software

>Consoles are capable of performing as modern desktops
>still no 1080p 60fps
>been gaming at 1080p 60fps since 2010

This right here. About the only reason that you'd want a console now is for either their near invincibility (I swear n64s are the nokia of consoles) or just sheer nostalgia.

There is nothing a poor console can do that an intelligently build pc can, and often for less money.

>Consoles have cheap APUs and unified memory that....
buzzwords buzzwords no proof of anything buzzword buzzwords
>"console image and feel" is the only thing that keep illiterate people to be aware of it
I don't know who you see on a regular basis, but most people I've seen aren't retarded "sheeple" as you seem to think.

Here's a $215 gaming PC:

pcpartpicker.com/list/7ZrMpb

Specs:
160GB HDD
8GB RAM
A8 APU
430W PSU (up to 34W/408W 12V rail)

It will handle most games in medium-high 720p settings and give you ~60FPS.

Later you can add a dedicated graphics card like:

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ZGF0TQY?pc_redir=T1

This graphics card is only ~$100 and can play most games in medium-high 1080p settings and give you ~60FPS

Now fuck off

Generations ago, have you looked at the specs in modern consoles? They ARE pc's.

according to Sup Forums's own logical increments

the X4 860K and a 950 along with 8 gigs of RAM is cheaper than either console and will out perform AAA games like Witcher 3 at 900p and most others at 1080p

pcpartpicker.com/list/v8XRBP

He means the normal person does not care about the specs of the console as long as it can play video games.

Ypu realize that consoles are loss leaders for their manufacturers? It's not until late in the product cycle that they break even on the hardware. The real money is in the software licensing.

>buzzwords buzzwords no proof of anything buzzword buzzwords

Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean they're buzzwords.

Console manufactures actually lose money every time you purchase a console. Since they are locked down and your only choice is their services, they make their money back fast from games, accessories, services ect. For PCs, manufacturers dont offer any other services so they can only make their profit from hardware sales alone.

OEMs like M$ and Sony can build consoles in bulk and huge quantities thus bring down the price. Additionally, they can make back some money from liscensing, charging for internet access and all the accesories. Also notice how the price of games go down slower on consoles?

>buzzwords
They are not buzzwords

They're buzzwords when they are being treated as buzzwords.

also the 10xx series GPU's are supposed to make them even cheaper so you could upgrade to the i3-6100 and stick with the 950 or get a 960 or 970 if its pushed down enough

Yeah, but they can't do shit besides play games and watch movies.

Because they aren't allowed to do shit besides play games and watch movies.

That's the point of the thread. The question was based around why they're limited to only doing this.

pcpartpicker.com/list/Np4pgL
Tgis is the best price/performance pc i could make

>praising the n64
>not the indestructible shoebox nes

>2yr old FX processor that costs under $10 less than a skylake i3-6100

>for playing games

Because consoles are designed to have a generation of 6-7 years (debatable now). They are created with the mindset of licensing software that runs on them. They serve a specific purpose whereas you build a normal cheap PC just to do day to day things, and if you want to turn it into a gaming machine you have to dump more money into it.

This is the simplest fucking concept to understand. You have unified hardware and you don't.

Fuck off.

breddy gud