Opera vs. Vivaldi

How do the two compare these days?

As I understand it, Opera got gutted and basically became a glorified Chrome, and it alienated most of Opera's core userbase.

And Vivaldi seems to be an effort to bring back the features Opera's old users used to love.

Am I ronk, Sup Forums?

nothing will bring presto back, sadly.

Wasn't Presto just the layout and rendering engine? I don't think *that* was what people missed, but the UI and other stuff that was part of Opera, like Notes, torrents, IRC, and "Opera Unite" (if anyone remembers that).

> Wasn't Presto just the layout and rendering engine?
Shit is still much faster today on old/legacy hardware. It was really efficient and capable engine.
>but the UI and other stuff that was part of Opera
With minimal css knowledge you can customize most parts of vivaldi to your liking
>Notes
they got it some versions ago, it's not as robust as it was back then.
>torrents
torrent-client was not needed in browser, imho. It can't even seed properly at the beginning, and if all you need is watch media - you can easily use peerflix for that (regardless of your browser) >IRC
Yeah, wasn't that great/usefull. Mail client on the other hand was perfect.
>"Opera Unite
Cloud without encryption is not needed in first place.

I like the little stuff Opera added so I'm using it, Vivaldi is no different than Chromium. I'm planning on switching to Brave soon though.

>Use opera 12
>too outdated

>Use vivaldi
>shit performance and crashes

>Use otter
>Barely working, doesn't display half of the web correctly

Well, vivaldi will worrectly some day. right guys?... right?

>Vivaldi is no different than Chromium
why not just say "i haven't used it"

Why can't they open the source of the Presto?

Great question - guessing they are very proud Norwegian, or probably some bureaucratic shit.

Supposedly licensing issues with code that's not theirs.

I have used it and it's no different than Chromium. I don't care about some obscure UI gimmicks or whatever.

I have driven a BMW and it's no different from a Mitsubishi. I don't care about some obscure engine gimmicks or whatever.

I have eaten beef and it's no different than chicken. I don't care about some obscure biology gimmicks or whatever.

I have lived on the moon and it's no different than Earth. I don't care about some obscure atmosphere gimmicks or whatever.

>Vivaldi
>Brave

Christ, what is it with all these Chrome reskins? It feels like the age of when Microsoft added an embeddable instance of Internet Explorer into Windows Forms Applications, and everyone just glued together their own widgets that'd interact with the IE browser component. And then they called it a new "browser".

I swear, the reason these Chrome reskins exist (and all seem to be made with NodeJS/ReactJS) is that that hipsters have some kind of a program to go along with the graphics they've made.

>Otter
At least this isn't a reskin, and they are building everything from the bottom-up in Qt. But jesus, these guys have no design sensibilities.

>Ugly as sin
>Creating new notes
>Slow
>Buggy
>Flickering everywhere
>Creating new Note folders doesn't work
>Creating a new note takes multiple clicks to do; no shortcuts

No other browsers are worth using except for Chrome, Firefox and Safari (cuz battery life). Or maybe if Opera does something cool, because I like some of their features like Battery Saver mode and built-in adblocking.

What part of ''I get the same experience browsing the internet with Vivaldi and Chromium'' don't you understand? My main UI demand is that a browser has a fucking bookmarks bar. The fact that you can turn the UI upside down or turned into a massive cock doesn't interest me in the slightest.

What do you like about Brave? I just tried it and it's literally Chrome but with adblock/tracking blocking/HTTPS Everywhere built in. And it looks like 1Password is in there too.

The wording on their homepage is also weird:
>Soon, micropayments and better ads will give users and publishers a better deal.

What the fuck does that have to do with the browser itself?

I like it because it's just snappier. If you don't believe me,go have a look at the tests some sites did back it was in alpha, it was faster even at that point. And I support the replace ads function once it gets properly implemented. The idea is that they replace the slow ass ads that most sites offer with their own ads and you get a share of the ad revenue because you're enabling Brave to put their own ads in. Of course, the site gets its cut.

Wasn't brave a browser developed by a German advertisement company?

Not as far as I know, it's Eich's project.

>German
>Eich

Any chance we're talking about H Online? Fuck, I missed their publications about tech and Linux and shit.

Rip H.

Opera has pop up videos, that's what made me switch

I use Opera, didnt know about this.

How the hell do i enable this? does it works for YT?

It does. It's enabled by default in the developer version, I don't know if it's rolled out to the stable version yet