Is docker actually useful or is it just a meme?

Is docker actually useful or is it just a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

boycottdocker.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

cool guys use rkt.

Yes, especially if you are using cloud, and have to move platforms.

If you have to ask, you don't need it.

If you don't need it, why ask?

Oh right, this is Sup Forums, home of the dpt meme programmer.

how is docker used with java ee app serservs like glassfish?
is it like deploy app into glassfish, deploy glassfish into docker, then deploy docker in some cloud platform?

>deploy an app server onto a different app server to run an application that could have been run on the first app server

Are you retarded?

It's fucking retarded. Bundling your dependencies in to a black box that can't be maintained is asking for trouble.

Docker is incredibly useful for quick, effective setup and takedown. I've been doing something similar in embedded management systems for years now. Many popular apps already have similar functions. It isn't really a new idea, but yes it is very useful and far more secure.

/thread

>Docker
>Secure
pick one

Elaborate?

It's a meme. Just like this.

The whole point of docker is that it's more secure as its a completely controlled environment. In the same way user spaces are with Linux it's just far easier to setup. Please explain what you think docker is

no the whole point of docker is that it is a convient and easy way to provide a working enviornment for your application that can be replicated and deployed en masse.

instead of the traditional way of providing just a binary of your program and noting that it needs libfoo3.3 libbar2 etc to run you package all that shit into a 'container'. this lets your users have a guaranteed working environment and stops you from having to deal with users complaining that hey libfoo3.4 breaks your app and so on. when you're ready to support libfoo3.4 you can fix that shit in house and then ship a new container.

this becomes a security concern however when you have developers that don't keep up to date on the supporting libraries and shit included in thier container. you could be deploying something to hundreds of servers that has weeks or months old vulnerabilities and not know it. another issue is that quite often the ``reccomended'' way to get container is often: hey guise get my docker shit its so easy just ``sudo curl randomurl | bash'' and it's installed. if you can't figure out why that part is a bad idea than there's no hope for you.

im aware the community is trying to fix shit up but still they're just patching more and more shit on top of a system that was never designed to be secure in the first place. kinda the story with security in linux in general; an afterthought. there's alot more to this but those are kinda the main and obvious points. imo if i needed to run docker in production id do it inside a smartos zone or freebsd jail because then if someone compromises your container they break out into an actual secure and locked down system.

tl;dr im a faggot so go ahead and just dismiss everything i said this is Sup Forums afterall

Way better than using lxc on its own, but painful if you don't use docker-compose

Also, what said

i'd also like to say that im not just bashing on docker it provides some cool shit. i mean the ability to deploy a working application environment across hundreds of servers that easily is fucking cool. just don't be fooled into thinking that ``container'' means security because it doesn't.

drew we all know you're in here.

Illumos zones > FreeBSD Jails > dirt > the worms inside of the dirt > shit > Docker

>My name is Drew and I don't know what I'm talking about

FreeBSD is amazing.

>containers are obstructing the whales' blowholes
>whales die
>docker breaks
kek

boycottdocker.org/

>unsteady platform
>everything can sink at any moment
what did they mean by this?