>Just running configure, make and make install fails
>Google it
> Install yasm by running the following commands:
>sed -i 's#) ytasm.*#)#' Makefile.in &&
>./configure --prefix=/usr &&
>make
>make install

Holy frozen shit on a stick.

Can we make releasing software as only source code punishable by death? What kind of worthless lazy ass sadistic developer 90's bullshit is this? Installing a software is ONE task. I shouldn't have to run more than one script to do it.

Other urls found in this thread:

ffmpeg.org/download.html#build-linux
johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>yum

I can't update to a version that has dnf yet.

>uses a "GNU/Linux station" for "work"
>doesn't know how to compile software

You're a weird ass little kid.

>yum
Also seems you are too dumb to follow simple instructions, probably should kill yourself.

Compiling shit from source is always a game of hunting down dependencies. Fresh linux installs don't come with the 600 million different dependencies required to compile much at all.

It shouldn't require instructions. The configure script should make the necessary changes to the files and its default parameters should work. The fact that a piece of software requires googling to install is a major design problem in itself. You don't always have google handy.

>he fell for the red hat meme

>hunting down dependencies
It's weird how we had shit like yum and apt to get dependencies for software for ages now and people still refuse to rely on it.

should of installed gentoo

It's at work you faggots, let's presume I don't have a say on the distribution and version I get to use.

I would agree it should have had a readme with it, or it should be clear on the website. When do you not have Google when you are downloading source code?

Then why are you using work computers to transcode your anime?

That's not what I use ffmpeg for.

Could we stick to the topic at hand and stop nitpicking at the details of the situation?

The fact of the matter is that there's too much widely used software being distributed as source code on Linux and it's a plague.

Linux will enver become a mainstream platform as long as people have to deal with this kind of shit to do basic tasks.

No you are just being retarded. Redhat is shit. Your average user isn't going to run redhat. Ubuntu and more mainstream variants usually have this stuff in their repos.

If you love binary blobs so much, you can install Windows 10 on your work servers.

The topic at hand is how you're a lying ass kiddo who doesn't actually know how to use his Linux install. Which is pretty funny, so it's a decent topic to discuss.

I don't think ffmpeg or yasm is on any repo.

Why even have different repositories for each distribution? It's just making things complicated.

Why even have distributions without generic compilers preloaded? Distros all weight between 1 and 12 GB nowadays. How is all that shit more important to package with a distro than a few megabytes of compilers?

>The fact of the matter is that there's too much widely used software being distributed as source code on Linux and it's a plague.

>The fact that open source software is also distributed as source code on GNU/Linux is a plague.

>wahhh I can't even go to the website and install using RPM Fusion or use the prebuilt binaries on their website, Linux sucks!
ffmpeg.org/download.html#build-linux

How comitted are you faggots to defending your shitty OS when the evidence that it has major obstacles to being user-friend is so clear cut and obvious?

Can I have ONE thread ranting about shit without having a bunch of NEETs who install Linux as a passtime blame the user for the absolute shittiness of developers?

If ffmpeg wanted to make their packages easy to install on RHEL, they'd distribute a fucking RPM off their website. They wouldn't make me download RPM fusion. You shouldn't need to download RPM fusion for anything in the first place. The OS should be preloaded with the structures needed to install your software.

Pandering to idiots like you is one of Microsoft's main goals. Have you looked into replacing all your Linux machines with Certified Microsoft Servers?

Not everyone needs gcc for example. But your average user is more likely to want a mail client or to write a document or browse the web. That's why distributions like ubuntu are relatively large, because those features are included instead of gcc.

There are different repositories because each Linux distro is slightly different. Some can share repositories like Debian/ubuntu both use .deb files. Redhat based things use rpms.

>How comitted are you faggots to defending your shitty OS

I'm tired of all the Microsoft shilling too user, but this is not the thread to complain in.

apt-get install ffmpeg
OH WOW THAT WAS HARD

OP is a fucking moron. FFmpeg static builds are a thing.
johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/

I build ffmpeg from scratch because I want to optimize everything and include a lot of options that rpmfusion leaves out. Not to mention rpmfusion doesn't support Fedora 24 yet. Good luck doing all that shit by hand. I have something like 3 GB worth of libraries and tools on my computer to build it.

I think your best bet is to download the rpms from some repo and build them on your system. Hell run a vm of a distro that supports it. ffmpeg is huge and bootstrapping it is not trivial. It took me four hours.

That source code is not meant for end users. It's not a release like you think about. It's a release to developers who know what the fuck they're doing. They package it once, they package it right, and thousands of people use their work.

Red Hat isn't shit. It's just not made to transcode anime.

because some packages require other packages that might not be available on the distro. So RPM fusion is used to build all the packages needed.

Hello Pajeet, as I said earlier during our call, I'm on a RHEL-based distribution. I do not have apt.

Redhat /fedoras core software repositories are for open source stuff only. It's common to use RPM fusion. Redhat is also not for an average user.

fedora is shit

You mean like Yum/DNF does?

Why not just make a script that loads the repos for your software and your dependencies into the package manager?

yum install ffmpeg

because devs have better things to do than to maintain distro specific install scripts because someone doesn't want to use all the other ways they distribute the packages.

You should go back to the Friendly GNU/Linux thread and dispense advice on things you don't know about there.

But unless I'm mistaken, that would work on any distro with a repository-based package manager.

Also
>Making a universal media encoring and decoding software in C and assembly
>Not having time to write a script that could take an hour to make and save you the trouble of going through RPM fusion and dealing with user questions.

You're so close to admitting that you're full of shit and this is just a troll thread. Just a couple more posts should finally push you over the edge.

No this is more of a vent thread. I am venting against Linux and developers of Linux software. Because they're assholes for doing this to users and they're the reason Linux is not getting popular.

Anyone sane would think having to go through what I said in my first post to install a single software is fucking ridiculous.

Yes! I, too, have trouble installing those single softwares! They are always to be coming with many wirus!

You're blaming FFMpeg for the fact that YASM, a third party dependency which is only needed when building FFmpeg from source, has a fucked up build from source process on Redhat?

To be honest, I agree with OP. I mean, he's a retard for somehow needing ffmpeg on RHEL, but I always get put off when I'm like "oh cool I could use this thing", then find out I've got to compile from source.

Windows, despite all its faults, has been doing double click, next, next, next, next, finish, for decades. There's no reason, besides sheer neckbearded laziness and elitism, that generic `install x` shouldn't work on all linux distributions.

If you MUST have cool compiler options, then I'm sure you will still be able to, but there shouldn't be any barrier to entry for just installing software.

If ffmpeg had a proper install package it would streamline installing YASM for me.

But I put as much blame on YASM as I do on ffmpeg.

>Anyone sane
Anyone sane would have went to the ffmpeg site and clicked the download tab on the left-hand menu.

You know, that page with the words "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Packages". It's written below "Linux Packages", which in turn is below large text that reads "Get the packages".

That would require him to be able to actually use a mouse.

>Linux will enver become a mainstream platform
If it keeps flids like you out of my profession, it's a price well worth paying.

That just links to the RPM Fusion website. I needed ffmpeg fast. I don't have time to go through another spiral of documentation+trial-and-error bullshit.

Too bad ffmpeg literally takes half an hour to compile.

But it'd work.

This is what you get for trying to be different for the sake of being a contrarian shithead. Had you just installed most any other distro on your NEETBox, you could have just grabbed ffmpeg from the repos. But no, for the sake of "totally not being like those stupid faggots on Sup Forums, whom I'm totally not one of" you went with RHEL. Sucks to be you, I guess.

Cool story about needing ffmpeg for you job, though.

>I don't have time to go through another spiral of documentation+trial-and-error bullshit.
Given your inability to follow simple compilation instructions, this is a fair argument. Might I suggest you install Windows 10?

actually I think debian still distributes libav and not actual ffmpeg

>still ignoring the available static build
I honestly don't think you have the meager brain power required to compile anything. Even if you did your sysadmin noticed you're a fucking idiot who wants to use his cpu time for transcoding anime so blocked you from installing package. So now you're trying to bootstrap it in you home directory.

>install ubuntu 16.04 on dedicated server
>ffmpeg and ffprobe already included

What are you bitching about again? Stop using gentoo for serious work.

>Need to install ffmpeg on my GNU/Linux station for work
>ffmpeg
>for work

Professional Anime Encoder? Senior JAV Consultant? Assistant Director of YIFY Rips?

>windows installer
It doesn't compile. Installers for linux work the same as their windows counterparts. Go compile on windows. Same bullshit

Okay I can see you're projecting your own issues into this so... I'm gonna ignore you now.

>still thiking ffmpeg is only good for transcoding anime.
Hm

Serious question though: What do you do with a static build? Just plop it into /bin/? Is there any chance of that failing?

ffmpeg has other purposes than transcoding videos.

No one releases software as source code only on Windows though.

Rpm fusion is not hard to add to your repo list dumbass, go to rpm fusion site theres a section on the home page thats listed as "users"

Follow the guide to add rpm fusion, yum install ffmpeg. Now you have a built version of ffmpeg and access to the software in rpm fusion.

Okay, I'll level with you. I want to avoid getting fancy features on my Linux station because I want to remain able to troubleshoot issues users have with the software starting with a basic configuration.

I might consider installing RPM Fusion but I need to study it first and make sure there's a way for me to disable it when I need to get the end-user experience.

>I don't think ffmpeg or yasm is on any repo.
KEK

I'm guessing its on Debian-based distros judging by some replies here.

But my employer's project is optimized for RHEL-based distros, so that's out of the question.

>they know i'm full of shit
Why are you surprised? It was fairly obvious from your first post.

>ffmpeg has other purposes than transcoding videos.

How about you just come out with it and explain exactly what your job is, and why you'd need ffmpeg to do it?

The software my employer makes requires it for certain of its functionalities. It's a multimedia application.

And, just the rest of your posts, you're being deliberately vague.

Why is that?

To avoid having my employer identified. I don't know how many companies make software for the exact same ecommended distro and the exact dependencies for the exact same functionalities.

his employer is making the next YouTube

Oh, bullshit. You don't even understand what you're saying at this point.

If you actually worked with software that specific, you'd know each and every other corporate entity out there doing anything even remotely similar to your own setup, much in the same way they'd know you.

No one is asking you for your employer. I'm asking you what your exact job title is, and why you'd need ffmpeg to perform it.

>If you actually worked with software that specific, you'd know each and every other corporate entity out there doing anything even remotely similar to your own setup, much in the same way they'd know you.
Okay, so I'm making all that shit up for what reason then? To impress a bunch of anonymous pedophiles?

Since you have to be reassured, I'm very new in the field so I don't know any of that shit. Stop interrogating me and stick to the topic, or fuck off. No one is forcing you to "believe my story".

You wouldn't have this problem if you had installed gentoo.

>(OPTIONAL) add use flags you want to make.conf
>emerge ffmpeg
You should stop using RHEL and make life easy for yourself by installing gentoo.

>To impress a bunch of anonymous pedophiles?

This is the exact definition of most Sup Forums posts

>still no job title
>still no explanation why you need ffmpeg
>absolutely no one is actually surprised

>Okay, so I'm making all that shit up for what reason then?
Because you don't want to admit you're jobless, lying piece of shit to a bunch of "anonymous pedophiles" for some strange reason. Just being here tells us you're one of the anonymous pedophiles. So what's the issue?

>I'm very new in the field so I don't know any of that shit
Then you'll be happy to know that the orientation for being a anonymous pedophile with a Linux hobby is fairly quick and straightforward. You'll learn the basics in no time. You might want to seek out some specialized training in being a pathological liar, though. You don't seem to have that down quite yet.

>No one releases software as source code only on Windows though.
Incorrect

Plenty of open source software works on Windows and does NOT provide Windows builds. People wanting to use it are expected to compile themselves.

so you went into CS with no knowledge or passion for technology and now when being told that you know nothing you are being a persistent bitch and insisting that all of us are wrong?

fuck off

what bugs me is when somebody releases a program for Windows under the GPL and nobody has really worked on porting it.

>so you went into CS
This is really odd way to say "installed Linux because I got bored."

>I shouldn't have to run more than one script to do it.

Entitled young people these days....

Going to start ignoring you now. You're projecting your issues on me and I don't have to deal with that.

I did not study IT and I am passionate about technology. That doesn't mean I have to love when software is designed to make me do all the work for it. If as a developer you don't feel like preventing issues for the user and making the experience as simple as can be, then you're the one lacking passion and you're just coding to jack off to your code.

Can you give me an example?

But that was my point, you've NEVER had to install from source for pretty much any windows software. Closest it's come was when Python started getting big and fucknips didn't understand how to distribute properly.

>Can you give me an example?
Not him, but Chromium is not built for Windows except by third parties. Only source is available directly from the chromium project.

>projecting
No one is projecting, we just know you're full of shit.

>I did not study IT
And yet you apparently work in the field, or one that requires skillsets from it. How exactly does that happen? It doesn't, unless you've demonstrated the appropriate level of proficiency to your employer. On that note...

How does your employer not realize how completely fucking inept you are? You're literally so bad at your job that you're here making a stealth tech support thread under the guise of "just wanting to blow off some steam." Even worse, you're asking a bunch of "anonymous pedophiles" for help.

>implying he has a job

I'm not asking anyone for help. I installed yasm and ffmpeg successfully after following the instructions.

You're giving yourself a lot of importance.

I'm a software tester by the way. That doesn't require a degree, just being tech savvy.

>Linux will enver become a mainstream platform as long as people have to deal with this kind of shit to do basic tasks.

FUCKING RIGHT OP.

You finally managed to pound on Google long enough to find a job title that might fit in with the already established details of your pathological liar story? That's pretty cool.

Easy add repo, install ffmpeg, disable repo

>started a thread clearly demonstrating complete tech illiteracy
>i'm tech savvy

Do you have any idea how frustrating you're being? And you're imposing your suspicion on me like I owe you something. What did you do for me to be required to prove my story to you? What am I getting out of this?

What I wanted to have was a discussion on how developers are making things too complicated for Linux users. I'm not getting that by answering your interrogations. You're just being a self entitled piece of shit who imposes their trust issues on others like they're the jerks for not reassuring you. Just fuck off my thread please.

>Not knowing right off the bat that installing yasm requires you to edit Makefile with the exact command "sed -i 's#) ytasm.*#)#' Makefile.in &&" and to run its config script requires the parameter --prefix=/usr by default is being tech illiterate

hoo

boy

And do you have any idea how entertaining you're being? I live for this shit. You come in here and tell a story isn't even REMOTELY believable, and then get mad when people begin calling you out and making fun of you for it. You have to milk retards like this for every chuckle you can get.

The small handful of people who bothered to take your story at face value are left wondering why a completely retarded fuckstick (who with every subsequent post further proves he's completely clueless) is trusted with said equipment.

This is comedy gold, and you don't just let it slide when you find it.

>Getting entertainment out of being an asshole
>Being a paranoid fuckwit

And yet I'm the one with the problem.

>Getting entertainment out of being an asshole
Welcome to Sup Forums.

>Being a paranoid fuckwit
Just because someone doesn't buy your painfully transparent bullshit doesn't make them paranoid.

>And yet I'm the one with the problem.
Apparently. Your problems are why this thread exists in the first place, after all.

You still haven't told me why I'm lying, by the way. I mean your "support request" theory has been proven to be complete bullshit so, yeah.

>Welcome to Sup Forums.
There are numerous boards dedicated to shitposters like you. People like you are why Sup Forums are toxic environments for real constructive discussion. Fuck off to where your kind are continuously sucking each other's dick.

Since you are obviously legit trolling, you have one last chance to back down before I report you for shitposting.

>You still haven't told me why I'm lying, by the way.

No, the issue is that YOU still haven't told US why you're lying. We don't know the reasoning behind it, it's just really apparently that you are.

By your own admission, this doesn't make much sense. You mentioned something about not needing to impress a bunch of anonymous pedophiles earlier. That's an odd thing to say, because you're right. You don't need to. So everyone is left wondering why you're putting in this much effort to do it.

Any distro but RHEL has ffmpeg binaries, they're essential for media playback

I explained several times why I made this thread. You not getting it is further evidence that you're being a problem to deal with on purpose.

Oooh, a confession of ban evading. Juicy! : )

>I explained several times why I made this thread.
Yes, you did. The problem, and subsequent lulz, were from the fact that your explanations only further proved that you don't really know what you're doing or talking about. This is a trend I hope continues.

>you're being a problem to deal with on purpose.
Man, you catch on quick. I can see why they hired you. You're sharp.

Oh, noes! Not ban evading! That's like the very worst thing on the list of bad things that I, nor anyone else here, can actually be banned for!

It's extremely frowned upon by mods.

So, you're asking me to prove that I'm not lying all the while determined to never believing me no matter what I say?

>It's extremely frowned upon by mods.
I couldn't possibly care less what's frowned upon by mods. I got over that years ago.

>So, you're asking me to prove that I'm not lying all the while determined to never believing me no matter what I say?
Yes, that's a fair summary of the situation.

So you're just a toxic shitposter and you ruined my thread because you felt like it.

Well, you're mostly right. The point to take away from it is that had you not been a lying faggot I would have found something else to do.