/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of March 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES

News:
>Samsung Is Testing A TouchWiz UI Overhaul, No App Drawer
androidpolice.com/2016/06/10/galaxy-beta-program-reveal-samsung-is-testing-a-touchwiz-ui-overhaul-no-app-drawer/

>Lenovo Moto Z and Phab2 Pro hands-on
gsmarena.com/lenovo_moto_z-review-1450.php

>Moto Z Play still in the works, alongside Pro Camera Mod and Adventure Mod
gsmarena.com/moto_z_play_still_in_the_works_alongside_pro_camera_mod_and_adventure_mod-news-18754.php

>Not dead yet: Moto X is 'alive and well' says Motorola
phonearena.com/news/Not-dead-yet-Moto-X-is-alive-and-well-says-Motorola_id82069

>Google Says Marshmallow Memory Leak Is Fixed In A 'Future Release'
androidpolice.com/2016/06/10/google-says-marshmallow-memory-leak-issue-fixed-future-release/

>Meizu MX6 packaging spied, due to launch 20th June
gizchina.com/2016/06/11/meizu-pro-6-packaging-spied-due-launch-20th-june/

>Sony Xperia X review: X marks the flop
theverge.com/2016/6/10/11889750/sony-xperia-x-review-price-phone-specs

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

global3dmedia.com/products/dt500?variant=1204045456
forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-3/how-to/rom-qualcomm-base-rom-redmi-note-3-pro-t3346350
forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-3/development/rom-cyanogenmod-13-0-xiaomi-redmi-note-3-t3350656
4archive.org/board/g/thread/42801377
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for /ptg/

where do you get a s7 for USA without buying from the carrier? Can only get international version on amazon which won't unlock bootloader.

I will ask my question again, since I didnt got an answer
I will do my research I just want to know your opinion guys thats it

any good YOU think its good for vr gaming? I jsut have 400 bucks

Have any of you guys heard of this company? My friend just bought this and asked me if he got chinked.

Apparently this thing costs $1000.

global3dmedia.com/products/dt500?variant=1204045456

2000 mAh
720p
Fucking Android 4
What the hell is this shit?

s7 since it has vulkan api support

>dude iphone's lame there are better android phones
>do a research
>turns out iphone packs the fastest cpu and the fastest storage on the market
>not even sd820 beats a9
>there isn't a single android device in the world with the storage nearly as fast as the iphone's

Apologize.

wew lads

>tfw z3 compacts finally went down in price

>tfw z3 compact is quite cheap
>according to amazon reviews it's a 50/50 chance to get a cracked back or not

It even has PA. Goddamn.

it fucking sucks, if iPhone had proper file access and app permissions it could be worth it, but it stays walled in, even with jailbreak its very locked down

should I get a mi5 4g edition for 437€ or a 32gb galaxy s6 for 350€? Don't care much for SD-Card Storage

3G, Bluetooth 2.1, sorenson spark support?

What is this, 2007?

Hey guys, budget is no issue, I'm on at&t, and I want the closest thing to a computer for my pocket.

I have 5+ tbs of music and would want to bring major chunks of it with me

I need a good camera for taking pictures of art

It'd be nice to do excel and word documents on my phone in case I'm not around my computer

Don't care much for apps or social media, but an emulator would be nice for down time

I'm reading up on the sites in OP, but was looking for user opinions as well.

lol. Should I tell him to return it?

does wall in even matter
nerds want to mess with dumb shit but does the average person benefit from muh customization?

only thing I dont like about iphones is itunes

It also has N preview, pretty amazing for a 2014 phone.

S7 is the most powerful thing you can get at the moment.

so I fell for the chink phablet meme and got an Oukitel u7 pro. I wanna flash it. What should I put into it?

I know, great support but that fucking glass back scares me away.

Is IPhone 6s worth it?

Get a note for the best productivity. Note 4/5 are great but Note 7 launches in about 2 months.

>MTK6580
>1GB ram + 8GB rom
>$69
Did you actually pay for this shit? haha holy crap.

s7 is for like 700

Still looking for a phone to replace my LG G Stylo.

What I want:
Big screen
Removable battery
Long battery life
MicroSD card slot
Video game emulation capability

So far, I've looked into the LG G5 and ZTE Zmax.

Note 3 or 4 is the closest you can get for that description
The 4 is a pretty big step up (much better camera, better build, 2k screen, better pen if you use it, updated software) but both have decent cameras both processors can easily run just about anything, and both have SD and removable batteries

>some random dude tries to sell me some Alcatel phone while I'm fucking working (I'm a cashier)
I'm more than satisfied with my V10.

Isn't Alcatel a really really chink phone?

No but the iPhone 7 might be
It's still too expensive and lacking useful features even though its fast

The barely faster OS compared to s7 exynos model isn't worth the trade off of
>forced itunes
>no customization and shit
>cant add memory
>much less battery life
>worse camera

and whatever else people love about Android in general. Even compared to the cucked US model snapdragon s7 I still probably wouldn't although you could debate it I guess.

Mi5 is it any good? I wish it was bigger note 3 pro a shit lags like a bitch tried my friends

Anyone have the Huawei Ascend Mate 7 or 8? How's EMUI? I need a good 6" phablet that'll work in the US.

How much data do I need if I will only be using 4G on the train to and from work every day (~1 hour total) for Sup Forums browsing / reading Reddit? Will 2GB be enough? I really have no idea; never owned a smartphone before or used mobile internet.

Your'e probably using a chinky rom. flash AOSP or CM 13 on it.

mi5 currently only has an unofficial cm rom since xiaomi still hasn't released the kernel sources, something that keeps me from buying it honestly.

Nah that shit lags I can tell you it was legit miui. I just want a phone that will be future proofed maybe I will get something else with the snapdragon 820 in it

I was talking about your RN3P.

I'm thinking of switching away from my shitty Windows phone and been eyeing honor 6. Is this phone any good for someone with an actual budget?

MiUi lags, it's a part of their animation fuckery.

forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-3/how-to/rom-qualcomm-base-rom-redmi-note-3-pro-t3346350

forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-3/development/rom-cyanogenmod-13-0-xiaomi-redmi-note-3-t3350656

oh you mean his note 3.

Depends. if you'll view a lot of videos and pictures you will fly past 2GB in no time. I'd suggest at least 5GB if you do.

does the edge on the s7 edge mess up vr or what?

3yo Xperia phone

Thinking about buying nexus 5x since I want a phone to tinker with roms and shit (also a longterm support is pretty nice)

>general Sup Forums shitposting
>music
>maybe plants vs zombies

I don't do much more with my phone, no demanding games. People always talk about lags, will I enocunter them?

I always think about waiting for the next nexus line just to be save.

It probably just blanks the edges when in vr mode.

It it just me or most good phones these days don't have replaceable batteries?

Snapdragon note 4 supports up to 2tb of expandable storage. 512gb ones exist if you can afford it. Also, convert all lossless audio files to 320bit mp3 to maximize the use of storage.

yep, it's a shame honestly. Just look out for a phone that has a battery that is easy servicable (nexus 5x for example).

256gb is the biggest micro sd. 512 is full size sd.

Do note that the higher price you pay for an iPhone is worth it for the far longer software support of 3+ years.

My bad. I thought wrong.

It's physically difficult to fit them in. Theres a reason the galaxy s6 removed storage and had less battery life than the s5. I heard from an insider that the s7 took a huge effort to get the features people loved to fit with the new design.

Yeah, phones are becoming more integrated over time. Removable batteries are one of many victims of this trend.

Hehe this meme is funnier Everytime you post it

That's exactly the phone I'm thinking about getting. There are a billion choices in that price range but I hate shitty software and most other phones will probably have that. I have an old S3 now, it's showing its age but the at least I was able to replace the dying battery.

Another reason, I think, is because most people sign two year contracts and after that the phone is disposable. Batteries start dying right around that time as well. In the case of the S7 it's completely understandable because the phone is waterproof so the battery had to be sealed completely.

what do you guys think about the new sony xperia X line ?

+Good Camera
+Metal Back
+5 inch so perfect size imo
+battery as always been a good feature for sony phones
+expandable storage
+fingerprint scanner on the right, pretty comfy and can unlock as soon as you touch it
+Front facing speakers with hi res audio
+almost stock android

-Not water proof like the Z line
-Not AMOLED although their display is not bad, but I always feel its washed out and dim
-overheating ? its possible
-not important but I love the always on display on the S7 and LG G5

Also correct me if I am wrong but is there anything different about the X performance aside from the snapdragon 820 ? I dont think it will be worth the price tag only for this upgrade.

Are Lenovo phones any good?

Probably shit image processing and screen calibration kills it. Sony over pricing their gadgets don't help either.

Plus, metal construction is awful. Wireless connectivity will be hampered in certain ways.

-massively overpriced
-plastic trim scratches and chips easily
-camera is slow and produces poor images
-Americans don't get fingerprint scanners
-battery isn't near as good as the S7

You guys think I should go for the ZTE Axon 7 ? audio is an important factor for me but I am afraid of chink products desu

Are there any practical ways to increase LTE reception to my phone in a building?

I read that it has a common problem of going into a restart loop after charging battery or something. Don't know anything about it myself. Wanted to reply though because I would like to know if it's a good phone too and hear suggestions about other around 200€ phones.

Headphone use for most part, could use some advice

What's your budget and country you live in?

no budget i am willing to pay, I live in the middle east, although I prefer the phone to be around 5 inch and a fingerprint sensor on the back, Dont really care much for the camera...hmm I also Love Samesung AMOLED, and ya good audio output.

>note 3 pro a shit lags like a bitch tried my friends

Your friend is a retard for not flashing it with a custom rom. Hope he enjoys his chink botnet/spyware.

>For $350 or $400? Sure, it’d be easier to feel good about recommending. But you shouldn’t pay $550 for an okay processor. You shouldn’t pay $550 for a phone that lacks a fingerprint sensor. And you shouldn’t pay $550 for a device that does little to improve the ailing fortunes of Sony’s limping mobile division.

>I’m not sure how stuffing a faster processor into the more expensive Xperia X Performance a couple months from now will sell me on the idea any better. In a smartphone market that’s become so roundly impressive, Sony’s slow crawl and iterative habits are painfully clear now more than ever. It’s time for the company to do some reinventing.

>IT'S NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO RECOMMEND THIS PHONE AT THIS PRICE VERSUS THE COMPETITION

Since we're kinda talking about Sony phones, I just got a Z5 yesterday and I've never had an android phone. What are some necessities app-wise? Should I root it even though I'd only really remove the proprietary apps to save space?

>1gb ram
>1.2 ghz quad-core cpu
>asked me if he got chinked.
Yes he won't get his money back.

What are you talking about?

what is that shit, iPhone aside for now, isn't the exynos faster than snapdragon?

Again - wat?

Clover for better Sup Forums browsing. If you root it get AdAway if you don't you can install Firefox and get uBlock Origin to browse the web without ads. You can try Nova Launcher too.

Cpu is faster yeah, GPU is slower.

You don't get smartphones under 150$ it's not 2005 glory dumb phone era anoymore when the best feature was 1 gb storage for all your music and a 16 colours display.

Why not a v10? G5s battery can't be replaced with mugen/anker/zerolemon if you are into this.

In your opinion is the upcoming Note likely to have mSD card support?

It almost certainly will have it.

Also I don't know if Clover is on the Play Store, anyway get F-Droid and you'll find Clover there.

after the way s6 sales dropped after taking it out they will never release a phone without it again

I've already managed to snag clover, coming from a windows phone it's great that I actually get .webm with sound now. Thanks for the suggestion.

Clover was removed from the playstore since it linked to Sup Forums. Only way to obtain it is via fdroid or you download it directly from floens github.

Anyone with a nexus 6p either since launch or for at least 5 or 6 months (or just a significant while to get to grips with it and for the dust to settle) wish to comment on how they feel about the device now?
Any regrets?

Did you root?
Any custom roms?

How are you in regards to battery, now compared to say your first month?

Thanks for the input.

Yep v10 was the last of them hopefully they release a sequel.

why are there are so many conflicting opinions on this shit

which is the better model?

Paid:
Moon+ reader pro
Zetatorrent pro

Free:
Chrome
Opera mini
MX Player
Waze
Clover (get it from f-droid)
Youtube Downloader (get it from github)
FOTO
Macropinch Battery
Flashlight (pick the one with a UI you like)
Igor Fast Notepad

When a new model is released does that immediately cause a price drop for earlier models in the same series, or does the price just drop more slowly over time through supply and demand fluctuations?

trick question the prices never drop

200$ too much.
A phone is nothing without a strong gpu. Many phones render the ui with the gpu. Mediateks x20 is getting amazing scores at geekbench(only cpu measuring) but is still not a competitor for the sd820 or exynos bc it has a weak gpu.
Please just look up the archive. It's getting annoying 4archive.org/board/g/thread/42801377
If you consider getting a 6p you should get an iPhone se and jailbreak it.

Exynos is better because the cpu matters much more than the GPU in 99% of everyday use. It is also a lot more power efficient and gets 1hr+ more SoT than the 820 in battery benchmarks. The GPU is still very good and more than capable of running any current game and vr stuff.

2 is enough if no video.

>After further development, when 4.0 came along, GPU rendering got more reliable, so it became the default for all apps: it's now up to the developer to explicitly disable GPU rendering if it causes a problem in their app. (That's very rare now.) The "Force GPU rendering" option is vestigial and rarely used even by developers now, because it's already the default.

But yeah I would prefer the exynos s7 bc of rooting. Still i wouldn't get a s7 bc if samshit drops software support you won't get custom roms to update further.

yeah but look at every speedtest on jewtube
exynos is faster and nobody wants that bloatware shit either

can you prove me wrong?

Guys I'm freaking out abit, I had around 70 pics and they all disappeared, my phone's Moto G if you're wondering

whoever heard of getting shit back after its lost except with a backup?

safe to say youre fucked

Read I didn't want to proof you wrong i don't lookup every day reviews of phones I'm not interested in just wanted to differentiate.

I fucked up quoting wanted to refer to

Xperia X is way too overpriced for what it is. People keep bitching about it but don't take into account that it is the average phone in the line. For a non-flagship phone it's ok but the price kills it.

Xperia X Performance is great still too expensive, but at least has pretty much everything going for it, size, screen res, waterproofing, battery, materials, etc.

What would be agood phone to get in terms of camera under 200$?(no chinkphone ,but they have shit camera anyway).
I am thinking of either an 5s or s5(if found cheap enough).