Would an iMac make a good file server? Could it stay in low power mode while accessing an external drive?

Would an iMac make a good file server? Could it stay in low power mode while accessing an external drive?

Other urls found in this thread:

floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAD5500
ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20150023279.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>mac
>good

Pick one.

I like my sister.

>would an iMac make a good
stopped reading

I like your sister.

I am your sister.

>mac
>HFS
>file server

AIO
file server
wat.exe

It would be a waste of an iMac, unless it's a really old iMac.

If you're on a budget and actually going to use the file server for more than a month, then get a meme-pi. The usb interface will bottleneck you if you have a fast connect, but you're only looking at 5-7 dollars a year in power consumption.

Post pictures of your sisters

Apache is already built in and secure ftp is easy to install so it's not any hassle if that's what your wondering. If it's an old iMac you could give it life by turning it into a file server yes.

The main concern is power consumption. I understand even if you put an imac into sleep, it's still running. Just wondering if serving files from an external drive would keep it at full power.
I intend to use an external drive formatted with some other file system

Macfag, its not running in hibernate. The ram contents are merely written to the hard drive so it boots faster. If power consumption is your issue, then its not going to be pruden to run a desktop 24/7. This is one of the few things a raspberry pi or orangepi is actually good for.

>The main concern is power consumption.
Fucking give information about the machine, retard.

Don't fucking do it. If you have the iMac sell it and buy PC-parts and assemble your own. If you are considering buying and iMac - find a NAS instead. The iMac is likely the least suited computer for a fileserver

/thread

ITT
Dearly held opinions presented as facts.
OP was trolling and got what he wanted.

I'm actually setting up my old iMac G5 to be a headless server while I use the screen as a secondary monitor. Go for it, practically anything works as a fileserver

ebin

>G5
>server

Reported for attempted arson.

Have fun with those fucked caps m8

>HFS
This would be a valid point if Macs could only run OS X.

Wow like I haven't heard that one before. Meanwhile my dp PowerMac G5's been going for years without issue

Will do

Anything would make a good file server.

/thread

Oh look, another twelve year old showed up. I know it's summer and you're looking to have a good time now that you've got a break from middle school, but this is still an 18+ website. Please don't come back for another six years.

>defending toddler toys
>on a technology board
>calls someone else 12

>technology board
>but you're not allowed to discuss technology unless I approve of the manufacturer
You're just making it more clear that you're underage.

lmao this

Should we discuss fisher price laptops too? Because compared to fagbooks they're pretty much the same thing.

#BTFO

simply ebin

And then someone on Sup Forums says that Reddit is bad, at least you can have a normal conversation on there without memers shitting up the thread.

Fucking kill yourselves inbred pieces of shit.

At least Fisher Price lets you change the batteries.

Why don't you go back to the hole you crawled out of redditor?

true lol

PPC 970 has the same max temp as the 64-bit Broadcom BCM2837 85C. Meanwhile my old T420 regularly hit 98C while compiling shit. Try to educate yourself instead of parroting what you hear like a retard.

>macfag redditard
>calls someone else inbred
ayylmao

I don't know why people say this, the 970MP had an 80W TDP, that's not crazy. Not even for the time.

Even so my dual single core 970MPs don't break 55ºC even under full load.

Air cooled?

>mac
>server
Literally the most expensive server ever

Yeah

>I know nothing
Why do you have to show us so eagerly?

2 poos have been deposited in your loo Pajeet.

>t420 hitting 98C
Repaste that shit now.

Not him, but is there any reason to buy a G5 these days? I already have a few G4s lying around because i like old macshit and I'm wondering if i should get a G5.

Yeah Apple's really paying me to shill hardware that was not only canceled over a decade ago but is also an unsupported architecture. Quit whining that technology's being discussed on a technology board

>toddler toys
>technology

This. My i7 has never gone above 95 at full load while docked. My idle is usually around the high 40s with ambient temps at 25 or so.

A G5'll still make a great desktop and an awesome server. Mine's a dp single core 2GHz model but I'm picking up a quad soon.

Meh...Not really. Unless you have a specific PPC program you want to run.
>toddler toy
>IBM PowerPC powered workstation

I'm guessing that it cant handle html5 1080p jewtube?

If you can find a browser that supports HTML5 for it, I can't see why it shouldn't. Flash won't work for shit.

Can't say I've ever tried, I play videos using a video player. I can confirm it can handle 1080p though.

>If you can find a browser that supports HTML5 for it
TenFourFox, it's based on Fx 38 last I checked.

The 2005 models had a PCI-E slot instead of AGP, right?

Just about to post TFF.
Have a download link.
floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

>toddler toy
>workstation

Yes I believe 65Cish was the hottest I ever saw my 1.6GHz PowerMac hit. My Raspberry Pi 3 hovers around 66.6C seemingly on purpose. 85C was simply the maximum temp it could operate. Meanwhile Intel has a maximum TJunction temp of 100C on their Skylake CPUs.

Late 2005 has nothing but PCIe, earlier models have AGP

>1080p is an accomplishment on macs

I sold my T420. Install Gentoo seriously if you want to see for yourself.

A quad-core i7? Because my i5-3320M rarely gets over 76°C while encoding or compiling(ambient: 23°C).

Keep in mind I'm talking about a 12 year old computer, you fucking twat

Nope PPC is done. They are still fun to fuck around with though.

And that's without docking.

>PPC is done
Far from it

No, a stock i7-2620m with probably stock paste.

I'm not speaking of POWER. I've seen some embedded Freescale PPC stuff after Apple cut the cord but it has largely fallen out of favor. ARM is dominant in the embedded market these days.

PPC is used a lot still. There's rad hard versions, iirc, and a lot of storage controllers have a PPC core. LSI 2008s, for instance.

>I'm not speaking of POWER
I'm not either. I'm talking about using G4 and G5 machines. Apple may have dropped support but it's still very easy to use one as a daily driver, be it on Tiger, Leopard, or non-Apple operating systems such as OpenBSD or Debian.

>There's rad hard versions
Yeah but even radiation hardened PPC 7XX has fallen out of favor these days. There are radiation hardened ARM Cortex CPUs which I believe NASA has moved on to.
>and a lot of storage controllers have a PPC core
I have seen PPC micro controllers inside WD My Cloud storage. I think even they have cheapened out and use ARM now as well. It's nice to see PPC being used in RAID controller cards. That is pretty neat.

Yeah it's pretty neat that the SCSI RAID card's processor in my workstation is the same architecture as the CPUs

>toddler toy
>daily driver

Well meme'd Pajeet.

epik

macfag is triggered

>wew lad

>Mac
>server

4chin shitting itself every hour and getting database errors should tell you exactly how that's going to go.

use a raspberry pi you nigger

No, I lie. They're replacing the RAD750 with this.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAD5500
I think I had heard of TI's Keystone from somewhere and assumed they had given up on PPC. Looks like they even have some FPGA and Intel being used.

sauce
ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20150023279.pdf

I'm not triggered, just sick of summerfags shitting up technology discussion on a technology board. Go back to your homescreen thread, mongoloid.

>mactoddler
>calling anyone else summer

Back to

My point exactly.

Hey that's pretty neat. Another article on wikipedia says the Orion spacecraft is going to use some PPC shit, too.

I'm genuinely surprised PPC is still being actively developed for these applications.

Where do mactards get the false impression their toddler toys much less they are welcome on a technology site?

Where do summerfags get the false impression that computers aren't welcome for discussion on a technology site?

Where do summerfags get the false impression that fruity toddler toys are welcome for discussion on a technology site?

When is the first gen Mac Pro bubble going to burst, and would I be retarded to buy a base single socket 5,1 and load it with a W3590 and 32GB of RAM? I can do this for about 700 bucks.

>mac
>would I be retarded

You already are.

ebin

nice meme

>mac
nice meme

lol dood macs suck amirite xDDD

Reported for attempted terrorist arson.

>he can't even get his memes right

Unless you NEED mac, yeah. you can get a dual xeon e5-2670 rig for another $100 or so.

lol dood macs r0x amirite xDDD

lmaoXD u sure got me

It does have to be Mac. I was going to get a dual socket system but people want way too much for them.

I would say go for a hackintosh build, but apparently Xeon hackintoshes are rare and a pain in the ass.