So is the RX 480 really going to be the ultimate mid-range card? I've heard different comments about its performance...

So is the RX 480 really going to be the ultimate mid-range card? I've heard different comments about its performance, but a month from now you'll be able to get a GTX 970/980 for the same price as it, and months from that it will face competition from the GTX 1060. Is it really going to hold up?

Other urls found in this thread:

extremetech.com/gaming/175190-amd-beats-earnings-estimates-thanks-to-console-sales-but-apu-outlook-is-bleak
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>mid-range card
It's entry level. Get a GTX 1070 if you want mid-range performance.

The 1060 will be half a 1080, or a rebranded 980. Not worth the money.

Nvidia filed for insolvency mate, go with the rx480

Wouldn't entry level be 460x?

I don't think you understand what a rebrand is.

Is it fair to say the RX 480 will have GTX 970-like performance, but with more VRAM? Or will it be more like the GTX 980? Talking about the 8GB version.

Should I go with this
My setup
>i5 4570
>gtx 770
>1080 60fps gaymen

Im tempted to buy a better monitor but for a time being this is what i got. Would 1070 be overkill?

Well it could be, if AMD had good drivers.

But they don't so it won't.

>770

No. Not at this point. I can guarantee it will fall behind rapidly, as if it hasn't already enough.

Reports thus far indicate that it will be closer to 980 or non-x fury performance. This remains to be seen however as the card isn't out, and AMD are hardly going to 'leak' results that make the rx 480 look weak. Wait for the release date.

Wow tripfag, I've never ever seen you post the same shit in every single one of these threads. Thanks for keeping it original friend :^)

It's around the same spec as the 980 up to the 980ti.

He's autistic when it comes to brand loyalty, Just ignore it.

He's also salty there's no 1060 and he can't afford a 1080 or 1070.

Remember how Bulldozer was boasting powerful multi-core performance for low low price? (which it did if you oc to 5GHz and the app uses all 8 'cores' which no game does)
Yeah... AMD is all talk at the moment. The RX 480 will be okay, but just ok.

1060 will be a 980 equivalent for $230 with 6GB.

Firestrike ultra of RX 480 (3460) :
/watch?v=rG-_mzIho5g

980. Compute is greater then 5 teraflops

It's a 5+ teraflop beast. I'm even more excited for vega late this summer.

So, is the result good or bad?

Good thing Nvidia is injecting more AMD anti-code into future DX12 games then or that 5 flops would make AMD gpu seem good.

Source?

It's approximately.

Buy a 290x.

AMD has to do Clinton level political fuckery just so that they can market their garbage.

Then when the consumers are left high and dry with no support and promises instead of performance they buy Nvidia.

Wasn't this benchmark meant to be fake? Or over-clocked or under-clocked or some such shit. I can't remember

Fucking good, a GTX 980 4Go OC do like less than 3200 points.

and 300$ for FE

But fx8350 was trading blows with Ivy bridge i5 and i7 processors in multithreading?

Why would anyone care about the 1060. The 960 is weaker than a 770 and they literally had to gimp the drivers on older cards so that the 960 could just barely break even. If a if the 960 is weaker than a 770 than you can bet the 1060 will be weaker than the 970 and theres no way its going to compete with the 980.
The catch. It will cost about as much as the 480 yet the 480 will at least be a tier up since it competes with the 980.
1070 will probably be better by a little but for an extra $100 does it really matter?

When has this ever happened?

>most powerful card to date will be the 1080 ti
>most powerful card right now is the 1080
>1070 will be the second most powerful card on the market will its released
>mid range
You believe always make me kek.

At the rate the 480 is the 460 will literally be barely better than integrated graphics.

Considering the 780 shat on the 960, I think it's pretty optimistic if you think the unconfirmed but inevitable 1060 will be 980 levels of performance. I wouldn't be surprised if it was also more expensive than $230... Gotta get that founders edition thermal throttling.

Don't feed the tripfag please.

I thought Nvidia never released reference cards for the x60 and below cards.

What makes you say that?

I want to see him try and justify it. On the rare chance that some retard actually believes him, plus for personal humor.

Why go to the effort to rebrand your reference coolers as 'founders edition' and charge significantly more for them if you aren't going to milk your entire lineup?

Do you need one of two to play the latest AAA titles at max setting 1080p 60fps

After how many people fell for the 1080/170 FE they will.

>AMD
>Fucking consumers over

Among other things..

One.

new benchmarks show its as powerfull as a fury nano in firestrike, so easy beating a 980

Don't underestimate the memelords

We're at a weird point in the PC gaming market. Graphics cards have progressed to the point where low end cards can now max out games at 1080p 60 fps or come close to maxing them out. 1440p and above monitors are still expensive as fuck and adoption will won't take off for a few years (cheapest 1440p monitor I could find is $260). So basically, people who buy a graphics card now and will upgrade to 1440p or 4k in a few years when those monitors are the same price that 1080p ones are now, won't have a reason to upgrade their GPUs for several years. So after the rx 480 and whatever Nvidia puts out in that price bracket are out, are AMD and Nvidia going to be forced to focus on price and power consumption for the low/mid range as competing in processing power will be mostly irrelevant for this period?

>Why go to the effort to rebrand your reference coolers as 'founders edition'
Because that takes no effort, it's purely marketing. The "founders edition" nonsense is purely to get a few extra shekels from the "gimme gimme now, I can't wait for a board partner card" crowd. People who buy mid range or below cards don't really have that mentality.

Probably one if you don't go crazy on the AA.

>Implying all the extra marketing takes no cost or effort
>Implying Nvidia is only trying to cuck people who buy their high-end cards

With every AMD product announced product in the past 5 years.

They show a bunch of shit that isn't representative of the product, like heterogeneous compute benchmarks and other retarded "APU" shit.

Now they rely on Crossfire numbers and NDAs? What are they hiding? lmao

I was using hyperbole, obviously marketing takes effort, but not nearly as much as it did to redesign the reference cards.

>>Implying Nvidia is only trying to cuck people who buy their high-end cards
Not entirely sure what this is supposed to mean, but I wouldn't be surprised if AMD started acting like Nvidia on the high end because AMD needs money and what Nvidia does generates a lot of revenue.

>ignoring vega release
You did a wrong user.

>AMD
>Shit that isn't representative of the product

10 TIMES MORE POWERFUL THAN TITAN X!!!!!!!111!!1122@#!!

>So is the RX 480 really going to be the ultimate mid-range card?
It seem given the leaks that the RX480 will be plenty for 1080p gaming (+60fps). So if you only play at 1080p like 75% of gamers do it makes sense to get the rx480 and save around €240 compared to the gtx1070. With the GTX1070 you got quite more fps headroom on 1080p giving the card a more future-proof headroom but at double the price it is absurd because in 3 years time you could easily upgrade to the next AMD offering with the saved money.

You do realize AMD makes bank on consoles right?

AMD has chips in every single ps4 and xb1. Do you know how much that accounts for in profit? AMD is doing really well right now.

extremetech.com/gaming/175190-amd-beats-earnings-estimates-thanks-to-console-sales-but-apu-outlook-is-bleak

Honestly I doubt the redesign took that much effort, considering how similar it is to the 900 series reference cooler, which was almost identical to the previous generation and so on. The marketing team on the other hand probably got a media budget in the millions if not tens of millions to push 'founder's edition' and the creative budget is usually 20-30% of media budget.

What I'm saying is that if they already have the cooler design why would Nvidia, or any company for that matter, not use it to make more money out of all their products, even if won't be quite as popular on lower end cards?

I appreciate your hyperbole, however.

>but not nearly as much as it did to redesign the reference cards.
Holy shit I'm retarded. I meant to say that marketing takes less effort than engineering, and would in this case if the "founders editions" cards actually required a lot of engineering to add new features. Like if they created a blower cooler that performed as well as a regular cooler, that would be noteworthy.

Also don't forget supporting the competition for making great products only benefits consumers long term.

>every AMD product
Could you get any more vague?

I love how you're incapable of even giving one example, thanks for the laugh

>mid range
you mean low end

>Honestly I doubt the redesign took that much effort
Yeah I got my sentence all mixed up, I don't even know what I was trying to say there. See Anyways, I doubt Nvidia does their own marketing. I'm sure they just hire the best marketing firm that they can afford to work with them. So that takes little effort on Nvidia's part.

>Implying APUs aren't a massive cash cow for AMD or relevant to a huge portion of the market

The only reason Nvidia doesn't do APUs or consoles is because they lack the manufacturing and their yields are too low

Is a 980 low end? I'm still running my GT240. That's low end.

in summary:
GTX1080 -> 1440p gaming + 4K(not highest setting)
GTX1070 -> 1440p gaming or retards that play at 1080p and do not care about overpaying
RX480 -> 1080p gaming knowing you paid fairly for the performance you get.

>disclosure: I have been team nvidia since the 8800 days but I am switching to 480 pending final benchmarks.

A reference blower card from either company would be sick.

Yeah probably not, I guess not so much effort as just throwing money at something and getting results

>>Implying APUs aren't a massive cash cow for AMD or relevant to a huge portion of the market
How? They'll only ever be relevant for "console killer" PCs and laptops. APUs aren't quite there yet for budget PC gamers to get them over a cheap GPU. Laptops require a good processor first and foremost, so an APU with a shit processor isn't good for laptops and AMD hasn't put out good processors for a while. APUs are something that could be huge in the future, but they're not very relevant yet.

Is the RX 480 going to be the new HD 4850?

Do I need windows 10 for this shit? To play properly

Plz say no, I dont want that shit.

Dude if you see the 390 price drop less the $225 you should snatch it.

What's wrong with windows 10? Only issue I have is horrible nvidia drivers.

>not realizing your the cancer in this thread
>not realizing the bait

embrace the botnet

>or retards that play at 1080p and do not care about overpaying
A 1070 is pretty good for 1080p 144hz.

This

Why are you bringing in last years architecture?

Compared to cards of this architecture the 480 will be low end yes

I'm no expert, but all the news pointing to Apple teaming up with AMD leads me to believe it must be pretty lucrative. I don't think you can dismiss laptops as being irrelevant either, discreet graphics is a comparatively small industry.

Nvidia R.I.P

>have 290
>overclocks alright, but nothing special. so at best it's stock 290x performance
I'm thinking RX 480 would be perfect. assuming it's no worse than a 980, I'll get higher performance, less heat and noise, and newer architecture for ~$100 (assuming I can sell my 290 for $150, which seems reasonable)

is this real?

You're*

You need to be over 18 to post here. Did you fail second grade English and drop out of school?

You know the 480 will be good when AMD parties this hard.

We'll we've only seen 3 cards from this generation so far. it's hard to say where the 480 will fall until more cards are released.

lel

Witness here a retard that thinks anything over 60fps is noticeable.

Obviously you don't realise that playing above 60fps actually makes your dick bigger.

Yeah/

Are you mentally ill?
WHAT DO WE COMPARE TO THEN?
$200 decent overclocker RX480 ≈ GTX980
$380 poor overclocker GTX1070 ≈ 980TI
Do the math.

1070 won't do 1080p 144hz. It usually takes 2 Titan X cards for that so you need 2 1070s too.

>what makes you say that?
Integrated graphics are beating even discrete cards these days.
Any entry level i3 has enough graphics to run most basic games at 60fps at medium settings

No, iGPUs are crap.

Is it confirmed the Zen was delayed again?

post the entry level trash gpu scores

>are you mentally ill?

Are you a complete fucking retard?

the 1070 is a mid end card, the 1080 is high end, 1080ti will be enthusiast

Compared to the 1070 the 480 is a low end budget card, nothing more

>using Homefront: The Revolution as benchmark

an a8 and a10 can match an r7 240. Intel can't yet, unless you get the iris pro.

This, I have a 1440p screen with freesync. One 1070 isn't enough for high fps 1440p. I'm praying to AMD that vega would be ≈ a 1080 for $400. Then rip nvidia.

Nope, just another rumor. We've had rumors about Zen being delayed to 2017 going as far back as 2015, so you really shouldn't put too much weight on it. We've known for quite a while that we'll get a few high end desktop chips towards the end of 2016 and that the main rollout will be in 2017.

>mfw a 980 in 2016 is low end

What game do you want to see?

>Nvidia says the 1070 is midrange so it must be, regardless of the cost and the price/performance being offered by the competition

The low end of this generation is going to gtx970 levels of performance. RX 480 is going to be on par with an r9 nano and outdo a 980

>the 1070 is a mid end card
At almost $400 it's not mid range, it's lower upper range. The RX 480 on the other hand IS mid range along with other cards in it's price class.

>The low end of this generation is going to gtx970 levels of performance
So the 480

>amd apu on a weak ass cpu and ddr3 is doubling the performance of i7 6770k

Holy shit.
Can't wait for ddr4 APUs.

could this potentially mean that their cards will be a fuckload cheaper than their comparable nvidia counterparts?