Sup Forums university starter pack

1. Wikiwand, browser extension - wikiwand.com/
2. LaTex, document software - latex-project.org/
3. WolframAlpha, does your math - wolframalpha.com/
4. Todoist, best task manager out there - en.todoist.com/

Are there more things that should be added?

Other urls found in this thread:

moo.do
hollyapp.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Gentoo

Sup Forums university UNIX edition

1. instiwiki, zim, rednotebook: Notetaking and personal Wiki

2. LaTex or any other LaTex processors: for fancy, eye pleasing documents

3. remind : generates calendars and reminders. fully scriptable.

4. taskwarrior: a free feature-filled, and powerful commandline todo list

rMBPs are pretty much a necessity

>implying any serious student has time to mess with unix

And yes, "serious" disqualifies anyone who study computer science.

>Be me, studying math and Economics
>Ubuntu 14.06 on self built machine for data science
>free software
>shell tools for data parsing
>libre office for writing and spreadsheets
>always works
>no gaymes to distract

Ah yes, all the serious students are on windows playing counter strike. Good point

>tfw always distracted playing dota on ubuntu
you can play games on linux desu

Wolfram Alpha is pretty useless for serious math

why latex is so large ?

>graduated from university
>losing office 360 subscription from university

what do I use next? Should i just use pages that came with my mac? I hate that it doesn't capitalize the first letter in a new sentence like word does.

I want to keep my mac as clean as possible so less piracy shit going in there the better

Thanks this should help me for engineering.

But I really need to learn mathematica. Maybe I can use it as a calculator like my TI call.

google docs

Most courses stop before any serious math. Mine calculus 2 stopped at z, laplace and fourier transforms

All of the counter strike games support GNU/Linux now.

You should buy software, degenerate.

Isn't Sup Forums against the botnet?

I also think that googledoc doesn't caitalize the first letter in a new sentence too. But otherwise it looks very identical to ms word. Wonder why MS didn't do anything about it.

google doc > pages ? thought someone was going to suggest libre or open office

poor grad student without a job. Need to use something to write up my resume mate. I will when I am rolling banks in the future. I will not forget my roots

Chrome Data Saver for protection protect from the prying eyes of the university IT department.

If you want to look like a normie tech illiterate who buys a certain computer because everyone else bought one.

>Need to use something to write up my resume mate

LaTeX is perfect for this.

but I'm not a CS major tho. the first line of latex literally says this is not a word processor

Just messing with ya mate

>Ubuntu 14.06

>being a grad student
Why would anyone do this?

poor people's mentality. they think that education > everything so they try to educate themselves to ensure a brighter future.
It used to be that getting a masters and phd is a rich people thing and people would look up to you but nowadays you can get masters and phd in women study and it's not as fancy as a chem eng phd or something idk

pen & paper

So what matters other than education?

Sup Forums is only nominally against the botnet. At least Stallmanites walk the walk and don't just talk the talk.

Education doesn't matter.

It's all about the face.

Maths and philosophy student at a top 1% university
I use a laptop with openbsd as my daily driver

attractiveness. You can be dumb all you want but if you're good looking, people will give you the chance to live the fine life.
Being an actor / model is a great example. Even the cute girls that you see are dumb as fuck but they look good and manage to get by with hardworking nerds paying for their everything. Life is unfair but it is what it is.

I've been using the botnet's service for too long, there is no point resisting anymore. Might as well just use it for the convenience.

Also LaTeX is essential for good scientific papers

Bloat

>Wikiwand
botnet

How is it poor people's mentality to get a PhD, are you stupid?
College is used pretty much for two reasons: to get a job, or out of a genuine interest to do research/science in that field.
The first group stops after a master's degree, if anything these are the poor people.
The science/research group has nothing to do with poor or rich, because researchers employed at Universities make a pretty average salary that you might as well get by being a factory worker. It's just that working in a factory sucks, whereas doing something you love is great.

There's nothing wrong with mastering out m80.
PhD isn't really worth it in most cases.

and who stops after a bachelor's degree?

You are literally retarded.

Delete your shit post then kys.

>doing something you love
Boy I would really love to work as a lab monkey making pennies compared to how much I owe in tuition; and on the off chance I would discover something the university takes all the money and credit.
/sci/ cucks are pathetic

>you can game on Linux
I suppose counter strike was the worst possible example...

you will look like a dumb with that

>Todoist

Something like that is too structured. We prever to edit text files.

If one HAS to use a TODO app, it might as well be text-oriented:

moo.do
or
hollyapp.com

the correct answer is of course Org Mode

>emacs

>WolframAlpha, does your math -

Wow. Get software and apps to do everything for you. No wonder your generation is seen as being so fuckin useless.

You are at university to learn. Do the work yourself. Stop chasing instant gratification. Entitled motherfuckers!

>Calculators

Wow. Get technology and apps to do everything for you. No wonder your generation is seen as being so fuckin useless.

You are at university to learn. Do the work yourself. Stop chasing instant gratification. Entitled motherfuckers!

Emacs

This. Kinda.

The thing people forget, with today's instant access to information, is that in order to come up with good new ideas, existing concepts must be sitting in your brain at the same time.

If all you do is outsource remembering shit to Google, you have no raw processing material to make new and cool schemas/associations with in your brain.

So, remembering shit is not redundant. And it's also good for keeping you sharp.

Yes grandpa when I get a job later I will 100% need to have mastered the abacus or else I'm FUCKED

I should also mention that what I meant depends on the situation.

In some places having tech do shit for you is good, because it stops you from getting bogged down in some long, rote boring shit and then forgetting the bigger picture of what you're doing.

But the thing is people let tech do too much work for them, and they become uncreative and dependent on tech.

Tech is supposed to make you dependent on tech. Get with the times, gramps.
Robot revolution when.

>hey guys, I'm going to put myself $200k in debt to not learn anything
You know you can do that for free, right?
Your university work isn't saved. No one is going say, "Aliens have just landed! Quick, find out what a freshmen got as the answer to question #28!" You're not there because humanity cares whether you write down the correct answer, the point is to learn.
If you don't want to learn you shouldn't be there.

I do depend on tech, and I use it for spaced repetition so that I can fucking remember everything.

It's so great to just lie there and think about shit, and magically come up with ideas because all that info is just sitting in your brain.

It's also nice not having to google and regoogle shit over and over again.