Apple plans to use ARM on Macs

Latest Xcode beta distributed to partners reveal prompts related to building desktop apps to run on ARM architecture.

About time, considering how Mac OS X technically had ARM supposed for the longest time, considering their iDevices with iOS (since iOS is essentially just a stripped-down OS X).

They can't keep getting away with it.

Why is this good? A big selling point for them is Virtualization. Can't virtualize x86 well on ARM last I checked.

Maybe they're trying to pull a Windows, and allow devs to make one app accessible on both? If so, I don't see an implementation that doesn't screw it up for desktop apps. For instance, if VLC does it, they can't do as much on desktop. Maybe if the iOS export/build auto gimps iOS (removing the features iOS doesn't do), that's fine.

RIP Intel

Pardon my vague rambling, but I consider it good because a major or popular OS supporting a new architecture might be good of other architectures.

I'm sick of feeling tethered to certain x86/amd64, and wish code and applications could all be easily-portable to any OS or architecture if technology ever moved that way.

All the fucking Steam games permanently being stuck on x86 kinda pisses me off.

Nvidia lost

>Why is this good? A big selling point for them is Virtualization. Can't virtualize x86 well on ARM last I checked.

huh?

most stuff that isn't stupid currently builds on arm just fine (see basically everything in the linux ecosystem)

Apple might be looking at building a chromebook level device to bridge the gap between folks who want more than a ipad but don't want/need a full macbook. They also could be looking at moving to ARM as their primary platform which wouldn't be the stupidest thing ever.

I might actually consider a macbook for the first time ever if it was running arm.

this is going to end well..

ARM is known for its powerful 30w+ TDP chips..

>implying Apple doesn't have custom ARM processor that scales to >30W that they've been working on for years at this point

What's the improvement besides longer battery life anyway?
No windows virtualization also sucks major dick

>They also could be looking at moving to ARM as their primary platform which wouldn't be the stupidest thing ever.
Considering that they went from PowerPC to Intel that's very possible.

>Apple plans to use ARM on Macs
Alternatively they're not doing this. They're probably trying to port apps to the iPad Pro to make it at least somewhat worthy of its name.

They are dumbing everything down, making desktop applications would not be like apple

>applel goes full toddler toys and tells pro market to fuck off
Nobody cares.

Now tell me the color of this dress.

red

metal

>Considering that they went from PowerPC to Intel that's very possible.

They would piss off a whole lot of folks though if they went intel to arm, big developers of professional applications (like adobe and video editing/ music production) would be pretty salty if they have to port yet again, most likely supporting both intel and arm.

Also would piss off lots of customers who just became comfortable with being able to buy a mac and boot windows and play games on steam. (probably will be able to do the latter since that's easy to port)

I think a ipad pro or something inbetween the ipad and macbook is most likely - sorta like the surface which is a tablet but also a okay laptop

Ice blue

>I think a ipad pro
Which already exists and is basically just a giant iPad with a pencil. It has no real separation from the rest of the iPad line.

jesus you're right. Who the fuck buys this shit? it's 1400 for the 12" one.

That's why I think this is probably going to be a plan to make the iPad Pro a better value. Give pros their applications.

Apple is finished and bankrupt.

Right. They're gonna have to do something to make it worthy of its name and price.

Surface is a laptop and an OK tablet.

It's smart.
Laptops sell to normies based upon their cost and their battery life. ARM gives apple sick gains in both those areas.

I expect the ordinary Apple Macbook to become ARM (price low, battery life good, profit margin still good, Apple own more of value chain), and the Mac Book Pro range to continue being Intel at least for a while, for those who need a more powerful platform.

>ARM gives apple sick gains in both those areas.
Made that right up.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple already had a custom ARM core design that gave them better raw performance with less power consumption than the travesty that is Core M.

There is plenty of technology out there for running one CPU instruction set on another.
See Code Morphing, Binary Translation, and others. Performance of these things is always improving, and Apple could incorporate some help in the die since they would be in control of the whole SOC.

Macs are 5% of applel's revenue, they're purely a toy company now.

It's white you fucking retard.

he's right, mad dosh for apple when selling dog shit at overpriced tags to retards.

#rekt

Stop lying.

It's over 10%.

He's not lying, just mistaken.

They've always been purely a toy company.

What if Apple plan on reviving the Xscale servers with ARM chips?

Xserve*

What if you stopped shitting in the street?

What sounded Indian about that?

They'd need to build up enterprise sales team that they god rid of when they shit-canned Xserve and a whole bunch of other srs computing shit around the time iPhone blew up.

So, probably not.

blue with black stripes

White and gold, you can see by the pixels

>White and gold
retard detected

t. colorblind

>White and gold
>calls someone else colorblind

Open photoshop and see by yourself :^)

:^)

That's a good point. I just meant it as, Apple turned around/more profitable when they went Intel over PPC.

milk icecubes with golden flakes

source you nigertoe

I'm really excited for this. If you compare a snapdragon 820 to something like the Core M you will see why this makes sense. Imagine all the bat shit fucking crazy form factors Cupertino is going to shit out with this

How much overtime are you getting paid Pajeet?

A10 Macs coming?

It will probably be much larger and have a huge heatsink.

>Which already exists and is basically just a giant iPad with a pencil

YOU BLEW IT
O
U

B
L
E
W

I
T

>Maybe they're trying to pull a Windows, and allow devs to make one app accessible on both?

Windows 10 already does that with both x86 and ARM devices.

Poo in the loo Pajeet.

Nobody gives a shit about your fake hype.

Normies do, and that's exactly who they're targeting with these kinds of pissant techniques. When they spend that kind of time and money maintain a good image it's no surprise that their products are as shitty as they are.

RIP imacs

>bat shit fucking crazy form factors
INTRODUCING THE DESIGN FROM 6 MONTHS AGO NOW 2mm THINNER! THE THINNEST EVER! INNOVATION! REVOLUTIONARY!

Every Surface machine is a tablet.

"A good product sells itself." - Jobs

"Good products aren't necessary when you got HYPE" - Cook

Apple died with Steve Jobs.

You know a company's products are shit if it dies from losing a salesman.

Good thing that's not the situation

Tbh, I'm not sure if it was losing the salesman more than losing the vision.

This.

Jobs was a conman, not a salesman.

ebin

Is there even an ARM cpu that can compete with traditional desktop CPU like i3 and upward?

Neat. An ARM mac does a number of good things
-Cheaper
-Cooler
-Longer Life

Intel is now fucked in terms of applel.

maybe they'll make the right choice and upgrade the iPad Pro to macOS.

Why would they release a 15 year old OS that only supports 68k and PowerPC for the ARM based iPad Pro and how is this the right choice?

did you not hear that Apple is referring to OS X as macOS in official documentation? you'll see tomorrow, there's going to be a rebranding.

There goes the best middle ground between Windows and proper *nixes

I'll continue to rip on people who call OS X Mac OS until (if) it's made official

This

Jobs was a tool but he would've lost his shit if any of these designs were presented to him

Because it is Mac OS. Mac OS X. Come on.

Microsoft is in dire straits these days.
Maybe they're angling for a deathstroke.

agreed. the X is the roman numeral ten. version 10. It's always been Mac OS ever since it evolved from NeXT, ever since NeXT evolved from BSD.

If they can make Mac Minis with i7 and i5, don't see why they can make smaller ARM computers.

I hate Apple, but if this is a big blow to Intel, I'm all for it.
Then Android will be the dominant OS of every platform, because everyone wants to copy Apple, switching to ARM on their laptops as well.

Nice blog Pajeet.

it's also funny that the article states 'even Athlon XP' results were better, when Athlon XP was the top performing processor of that time.