Does knowing math makes you a good programmer?

Does knowing math makes you a good programmer?

Other urls found in this thread:

css-tricks.com/tales-of-a-non-unicorn-a-story-about-the-trouble-with-job-titles-and-descriptions/
engineering.jhu.edu/ams/faculty/john-wierman/
reddit.com/r/learnmath
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

*Maths you fucking retard

Don't tell me how to speak American you fucking red coat

>being non-american
kys

T. PhD in pepperoni pizza

no being a good programmer makes you a good programmer.

No, but not knowing math makes you a shit programmer.

OMG MATH.

i have a lot of respect for statisticians.

math sucks

In my experience, mathematicians get why algorithms work the way they work MUCH faster than computer scientists.

Where does this meme come from? I must know.

Depends on what you are programming.

Knowing a programming language is like knowing how to use a set of tools. What counts is, do you know how to build something? In that case, knowing math would help because you can implement algorithms into your code.

css-tricks.com/tales-of-a-non-unicorn-a-story-about-the-trouble-with-job-titles-and-descriptions/

Bitch makes a little rant because she couldn't fizzbuzz
already linked it

Is that John Wierman at JHU?
He used to put corny jokes up on the screen before every lecture like this one

engineering.jhu.edu/ams/faculty/john-wierman/

>Bitch makes a little rant because she couldn't fizzbuzz

IMO yes. If you were one of those people in school who 'got math' then you have a shot at being quite a successful programmer.

If you (like me) sucked at math then the best you can hope for is being an above average script kiddie.

Been programming for 10+ years. Most of the math I use is simple algebra. Everything else is useless.

You can always get better at math.

reddit.com/r/learnmath

It helps a lot

Fuck off with this growth mindset bullshit. Let's assume that a growth mindset really is useful. That does NOT prove it correct. It may be that people who believe intelligence is improvable are more successful than people who believe it is fixed, but that doesn't change the plain fact that intelligence is almost totally fixed.

"You can always get better at math." does NOT follow from "Believing you can get better at math makes you better at math."

Depends. They are fundamentally the same sort of thinking, so math is probably good practice. Furthermore, some types of math have direct applications to programming. However, some math (e.g. real analysis) has no obvious connection to programming at all.

Some kinds of programming are more mathematical than others. A web developer needs less math than someone who writes games or simulation software.

No. It may help you develop the problem-solving logic process, but it won't make you good.

This. I used to suck really hard at math and years later I am literally among yhe best in my group.

I didn't learn long division until my 20s and now I'm pretty gud.

(((You))) are not incapable of programming, but it is entirely possible you couldn't enjoy it and you'd take too long to learn and do things.

U.S - (Math)matics
U.K - (Math)matic(s)

Why do these redcoats do this dumbshit?

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Does knowing how to raise chickens make you a good cook?

For programming things worth your time, yes

>(and JavaScript... grrrrr)
Kill me :^)

Fuck off commie

Damn man, I thought I was functionally retarded for not knowing how Gaussian Elimination worked on paper.

Code monkey detected.

is someone like this actually making a living programming?? how?

Maybe they're more of a designer? Or the reason I need hundreds of gigaflops processing power to view a contemporary web page?

She's a "designer/developer" who only knows CSS and HTML, so no. She's not making a living programming

then why ask for fizzbuzz? this is stupid

Because she was applying for a real programming job. Ergo the reason she didn't get it.

Yes believing is not enough, practice is key

That ignores plasticity of the brain, user. Self correction is possible, but requires years of effort

>Mathematics (from Greek μάθημα máthēma, “knowledge, study, learning”) is the study of topics such as quantity (numbers), structure, space, and change.
>mathematics is the study
>mathematics is
>is

the S doesn't indicate a plural in mathematics, which would the only justification for adding the S to the abbreviation.

bongs are wrong

Think of the modern website with it's heinously bloated UI, and tons of parallax scrolling. It should be clear how she can have a job.

Math makes programming much easier however for most applications you will rarely utilize higher level mathematics. If you are very good at math it is foolish to become a code monkey, become a statistician instead.

Commie cocksucker.

So, is there a deeper reference regarding "functional brains" like it being a mathematical concept or is it what means?

Though I agree with what it's trying to say it's a pretty weak execution.

>using the smiley with a carat nose

math is pretty gay desu senpai

Sure, if you're dealing with mathematical problems. You can program faster algorithms.

No, but it helps.

if it's the right math, yes

programming is just math

In the original it said
>Answer: (B) - the other three can all feed a family of four.

absolutely.
as a matter of fact back in highschool and college i was really bad at math. even when i started programming i forgot a lot once i was out of academia too.
when i started seriously programming aka working.
i learned actual math through programming.
it made me better understand a lot of concepts that were taught to me in a way which made me able to solve tests but not actually apply math in a way i want to apply it.

learn programming op. it makes you good at programming and math.

Absolutely.

mostly makes you a good computer scientist

programmer? depends on what you make desu. most programming doesnt require much math at all outside of basic stuff. solid understanding of discrete maths makes life much easier though.

Being good at math will make you slightly better at nearly everything, buddy.

>I know what you meant to say
>despite understanding it i myst still correct your regional spelling difference
>also you're the one who's mentally handicapped

See what's going on here, honey?
Your problem is you.

>theoretical mathematics
God dammit it's just mathematics

>bsc in discrete math(s)
>any job I want
>£30k starting

Buzz.. Buzz.. Buzz..
Holy shit she thought she was being smart by adding in the fire..

I'm in business intelligence work with Spark and Hadoop, into sports analytics for fun and I've never wanted for more advanced math.

The math side will help you while you're in school and doing the usual useless academic shit like writing programs to graph functions, but it is of little use in the real world

>"knowing math makes you"
kill yourself

they ask for fizz buzz in american job interviews ???

U.S - (Math)ematics
U.K - (Math)ematic(s)

Why do you not know how to spell mathematics?

>(Math)matics

Your retard is showing, asshole

Posting original, just in case someone hasn't seen it.