Upgrade?????

>Upgrading from an x58 i7 920 to an x58 i7 980x in 2016

I currently have the 920 clocked to 4.20ghz on a noctua cooler. 21c at idle about 35-37c gaming. I was thinking about upgrading my motherboard and processor to compete with the speeds of modern processors as some of my friends have them and games like fallout 4 and bf4 seem to run alot better on a newer processor with similar graphics configs (gtx680 4gb). I love everything about my current setup but its shows signs of weakness nowadays. I eventually plan to buy a 1070 or 1080, maybe an older card idk.
But the question is it really practical to upgrade to such old hardware?
Should I do it?
Should I not?

Other urls found in this thread:

cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel Core i7-980X @ 3.33GHz&id=866
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>That gigantic Northbridge heatsink

you can put together a pretty kickass build for not that much right now, but honestly I'd wait until some more Zen stuff gets released before you make any decisions.

it is kinda obnoxious
i was thinking either a classified board or just the sli 3x
currently have the x58 sli le
the thing of it is the classified is still pretty fucking expensive for a 5 year old board and the sli le i have works fine so idk if i should even upgrade the board. I just plan on oc-ing the 980x if i get it and i dont think this board would handle it very well.

I'd get a new card now and wait for upgrading the cpu

>compete
Why exactly are we competing? I'm still using my old Q6600 without issues

i mean i like amd and all but i feel like an intel with an nvidia gpu is the way to go if you want long term reliability. i love evga products and wish they made amd motherboards because i would probably buy one. but no im not switching, sorry (unless shit goes sideways for intel when zen gets released)
However i will definitely wait a while before i upgrade anyway (probably before bf1 gets released)

LOL nice
I was honestly considering getting that when i build my system because i7 benchmarks were basically the same
i just want something a little faster, a 980x seems like a cost effective way to enter the "more than 4 core" market without breaking the bank on newer mobos and ddr4

ok but should i go full blown crazy and get the brand new card or just buy an older one like a 690 or even a 980 if they ever get cheap?

If you game, it's just not worth getting anything older than Sandy Bridge. You need strong single threaded performance. You can get an i5-4690K or i5-6600K for a similar price of an i7-980X.

yes but is the performance really that much better?

according to cpubenchmark the 980x is very close to the performance of the 4770k
im sure with overclocking i would achieve even better performance but why spend all the money on a brand new board and new memory if i already have 12gb?
heres the link
cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel Core i7-980X @ 3.33GHz&id=866

Couldn't you look into an x5650 instead of the i7 for cheaper similar performance?

hmmm not a bad idea.

my brother tells me that xeon cant game but he listens to fucking linus tech tips (used to be good but sponsors got out of control)
can anyone tell me if it would be good for gaming ive never messed with xeons before

Several videos have x5650s gaming, and that one is able to be oc'd. I actually use a Xeon instead of an i7 because it was cheaper.

If you are willing to save I'd go that route waiting for the 480 to release and maybe see what Zen has to offer, your current stuff isn't failing so no reason to rush.

>4.2ghz i7
>35° C under load

Of course son

no, staying on x58 is stupid. Even a 980X will perform absolutely sub par compared to some very affordable slightly newer cpus. SATA controllers also got MUCH better after x58. So before you'd upgrade your Graphics card, an SSD would be a smart investment too. An SSD will not work very well with your mobo

What are you tælling about. I have a 920 on an ASUS board, and my SSD works fine.

Xeons are literally higher binned i7s, they`re the same chip with ECC support, and maybe some slightly different instruction sets. You can stick with your mobo, and buy a x5670 that`ll OC to 4ghz cake for ~60-70$. They game just feckin fine.

Probably be better off with a new GPU.

x58 still only has Sata 2, unless you have the 2 additional sata ports that supposedly give sata 3 speed. There`s a big difference.

what should i upgrade? im not great with my computer my fan is bluetacked on cos i snapped the things off and the gpu wouldnt fit in, also cpu fan makes load sound i tried to fix and broke plastic but i hot glued it my front panel had dust went to take of but it bend so i just removed it i play games but they go a slow

Sounds to me like you should just save up and buy yourself a nice affordable prefab computer...

honestly ssds work just fine with this mobo/chipset i just have the shitty 30 doll hair raid card from newegg with sata 3. got 120gb ocz vertex 3 maxiops and a 480gb intel
also pretty sure you can get x58 mobos with sata 3 built so
whats the advantage of having sata 3 on a new board vs an old one?

ok it only reads that on the mobo temp display.
in rl its like 10c hotter lol

yea i think the sabertooth x58 has sata 3 built in

but wont i have to buy ecc memory then?
what the hell does ecc even do?

Sorry for using the board for this but I really could use some advice. I want to upgrade my fucking outdated PC which is:
AMD Phenom II x4 955
MSI Gaming 970 (AM3+)
MSI GTX 760
8 GB RAM GSkill Ripjaw
NOX 750w

I was looking at the cpus but the ones I see for AM3+ chipset have really poor rating, like the FX8370. Should I rather go for a i7 4770k and a motherboard for that? Or get a AM3+ CPU, use my motherboard and save that money for a new GPU/More RAM?

Just wait until 2020 to uprade any hardware