/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that is required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.watchuseek.com/f71/list-meca-quartz-watches-1224386.html
amazon.com/Parnis-Automatic-Flywheel-Display-Movement/dp/B00QABCAVU/ref=pd_ybh_a_10?ie=UTF8&refRID=B9BV011GD5C73NWB9JJY
amazon.com/dp/B00KD6EUWU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1GJBZH697MG3R&coliid=I13G47HQJB7M4I
item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1-c.w4004-11926096291.31.1Nbb1T&id=531155307499
dagazwatch.com/
s161.photobucket.com/user/yobokies/library/?sort=3&page=1
youtu.be/f82wjlU30Gg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

So i kinda know why i should avoid chicken tika masala watches
Why Philippine ones though?
I found one i like in manilla and it says genuine or money back. The internals don't look like they where serviced by rajesh so what's the issue?

Well if they showed you pics of every angle of the watch and the movement, and you feel confident in discerning its value based on those pics, then I don't see how its riskier than any foreign purchase. Though keep in mind that if you need to return it you'll need to pay out of pocket to ship it all the way back to flipland, and wait for the entire length of the voyage before you get the refund.

Looking for the cheapest chronograph with subsecond capability. Probably mechanical. Not sure if mecca quartz is sweepy enough. Dont really need a swiss 7750 but idk, suggestions?

Probably a Seagull 1963.

First (pic) for AP's glory.

Could you share the link here?? It will be far easier to give advice if we can see the watch.

I don't know if you've already read this thread, but I hope you'll find it helpful.

forums.watchuseek.com/f71/list-meca-quartz-watches-1224386.html

It begins.

Casio incoming

Are the gray stripes painted on these Bond natos? I have an original Bond style nato, with the black, red and green and they're different colored nylon, not just printed on.

I'm starting to wonder if the Bond straps look good on anything other than dive watches. I put one on the Sinn 356 and the gf hates it.

I believe it's different nylon colours.

I think it's more down with the style of the watch, no doubt there is a more casual or sporty watch that would wear a Bond well.

Okay. It just looks weird on pictures if it's not some top-quality strap like mil-spec nato, or Omega.

Ok, how the fuck do you remove a bracelet on a Vostok 420.

Remove or resize? Resizing is a huge pain in the ass and not even worth doing. Completely removing just requires some patience and a springbar tool to attack one of these points.

All done!

Wears a little bigger than my Orient Marshall, has to be said.

>Remove or resize?
Removing.
And got it in the end. Just took 20 minutes with a penknife is all. Didn't have a springbar tool to remove the fuckers with.

So tempted to buy a sumo and mod it up like a marinemaster, I love the lugs and the height of the sumo compared to the MM so it would be a dream come true to have the best of both worlds

Any military style watches look good on Bond natos IMHO. For example my Citizen field watch looks pretty neat of it think.

*pretty neato I think
Ducking autocorrect!

Jesus man. Loose the strap a bit before you loose the hand. Or don't, whatever.

Also,
>all that work and takes so shitty pics after

About to buy a "used" SARB033 for €300 with no shipment charged.

Do I proceed?

>mfw I will never own an example of superior horology like that AP
>mfw I have no face
Why live Sup Forums??

I'm not about to hold my arms perfectly still for 20 minutes for my iPhone to focus in.

Strap doesn't actually feel tight. Like, at all. Apart from my wrist being warm, I don't feel it even being there.

Bit pricey

I got a new one for $430 Australian

Free shipping, you might get singed with shipping

Have a look on seiya Japan anyway

>AU
Nigga it's without shipment and fees, EU. It's hard to do better than that. I've seen one at €250 but it was on an ad site while this one is on a forum.

Fair enough, mine was $430, so about 300 euro shekels brand new

Mine was with absolute zero import fees or taxation, I'll let you do the math and see if it is a decemt price

Then show me how to get one for cheaper in Italy. I'm waiting.

Im servicing an omega 1010 today, what about u senpai?

What do you think of Dornbluth and son avocanon? Ive been looking around for places to ask about an internship and i figure an independant would be cool.

Was being literal, no irony or satire round here

I'm assuming the vat or whatever tax you will have to pay will be like 10-20%

You can get a new one for about 300 euros from seiya Japan plus whatever tax you'll have to pay

Could be worth it to pay the extra for a new one, but I don't know how it will work out, haven't done the math

Anyway, all money aside it is a really good watch for the money

The VAT (IVA) alone is 23%, all the fees should be around €90 for a €300 watch.
Not worth it in my book, with that money I can get a Seiko 52xx.

>Dornbluth and son

I went to a Watchbuys roadshow last year and got to see a few pieces from their collection. They're beautiful watches. If you can get in with them you should totally do it. Maybe look into RGM as well if you want to get in with an independent.

If they are the same price as when I bought mine they were 282 euros with free shipping

I'll let you work out the tax you will have to pay. Its up to you if you want to fork out more

I bought my 52xx for $210 Australian

>282 euros
What? It's on sale at €314 now.

It just arrived. It's beautiful.
Should I try shortening bracelet by myself? I want to try it with original bracelet before deciding on diferent strap.

>It just arrived. It's beautiful.
It's the opposite.

Don't tease them josef just because we don't pay taxes on online purchases from overseas :p

Fuark, prices must of went up. I bought it for 282 euros not on sale awhile ago

Kinda makes sense paying the 300 for a used one now

Maybe someone here will sell you one

Best part about this country

Could not get a link from the app and i have no other Internet at the moment but here is a screenshot

Posted in the past thread, but I didn't have access to my camera at the time so the picture quality was shit.

Tudor Oyster, c.1960

Rate would be appreciated Anons.

The watch face

I think it's neat, shame about the acrylic though. Wonder if a you could get a generic one to fit?

I like it, pretty conservative, hard to dislike

Yeah, I was a bit pissed off when I managed to twat the crystal, but hey, shit happens. Will probably go for a sapphire one when I eventually get around to having it repaired.

(pic: tara allsport with custom bezel & black nato)

I think it has to be a 3 hand watch or have a prominent bezel. A chronograph with no bezel (like the 356) doesn't work as well.

Nice, I like the design.

I recently had to get a new one. I decided on a newly manufactured one as the previous used one I bought turned out to be not accurate at all. I chose a simple design because I like watches that can be read with the blink of an eye.

I was a bit disappointed that I had to change the watchband which was only 22 centimetres in length. But with the watch itself I'm very satisfied.

R8 these omegas

>RGM
Ye, im gonna just try a boatload and see what comes up. CvdK or Gronefeld would be really nice though. Perhaps piaget could be cool too. Well see its supposed to be in two years anyway so plenty of time kek

Movement looks nice but a bit dirty, i dont know shit about jap watches though.

Forgot pic

Vintage bros

I like it, solid choice user

you need to lose some weight fatty

This movement looks fucking filthy

And the case looks like it's been polished. I would personally not touch this with a thirty nine and a half foot pole.

Speaking of fatties, where has fat Canadian been? The 52 caliber circlejerk is running out of steam in his absence.

I received mine a couple of days ago, i fucking love this watch.
How has been your experience with it? Any advice?

What does Sup Forums think of parnus > seagull mechanism w/ less expensive body?

Fake tourbillon, brah.

amazon.com/Parnis-Automatic-Flywheel-Display-Movement/dp/B00QABCAVU/ref=pd_ybh_a_10?ie=UTF8&refRID=B9BV011GD5C73NWB9JJY

reverse image makes it seem like its being sold that way, its not

additionally, while I can love and appreciate especially an open heart tourbillion, there is nothing in the

The flywheel mechanism it mentions is specifically made to imitate a look of a tourbillon without actually being one. It's to bamboozle people who don't know what the 'spinny bit' does but knows it goes on expensive watches.

is this any better?
amazon.com/dp/B00KD6EUWU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1GJBZH697MG3R&coliid=I13G47HQJB7M4I

My criterion are:
price:

Nice watches with fluted bezel under $250

item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1-c.w4004-11926096291.31.1Nbb1T&id=531155307499

Maybe they're just not as full of themselves as you.

>item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1-c.w4004-11926096291.31.1Nbb1T&id=531155307499

that open heart...

jizzing, farting, spinning

>Maybe they're just not as full of themselves as you.
Who, the Chinese?

I found your comments helpful, and will likely spend the extra money to get the seagull - seems worthwhile, a more honest and long standing watch maker. If a watch is trying to be something its not for the sake of literally looking rich, people should tell it like it is. Thank you.

Np. One of the silliest things about the flywheel is the shape they made it. Vacherie Constantine incorporates their logo into their tourbillions, and they decided to mimic VC with their flywheels - either full four pronged or just three pronged versions. Other people than VC make tourbillions, and the Chinese do make imitations of lots of different watches, but they seem to always go with the fake VC flywheel from what I've seen. Very odd.

vacheron constantin*

No idea what happened there. Posting from my phone

I never realized the allusion to VC, but it makes perfect sense. I'm jewish, so at the end of the day, I'm in the minority that would be turned off by the presence of an iron cross. I get that its an ancient symbol, and many Jews one the Iron Cross in WWI, but still...it holds...connotation. Hope that doesn't bug you, senpai. I appreciate your guidance none the less

oh god won*** no excuse just posting quickly at work

SEIKO IS DOGSHIT
TAG HUYER IS DOGSHIT
SQUALLY IS DOUBLE DOG SHIT

Buy yourself a Omega Speedmaster MAN ON THE FUCKIN MOOOOOOOOOOOON fuckas! Or an Explorer II, it gives u BEST BANG PER BUCK WHEN YOUR GIVIN THE OL FISTEROONI TO A LADYBOY IN BANGERS, FUCKAROONIS!

Fellow Jewbro, you need to man the fuck up and stop being such a faggot about the Germanic cross. It doesn't carry any connotations at all, unless you're some hipster Liberal who can't into history.

Hows life archie.
I head you pulled some shit with sending gifts for yourself or something...

I mean, let me put it differently:
If I had the ability to afford a Vacheron Constantin or anything above 300 dollars, I'd except it and wear it graciously every day without question.

If I'm buying my own watch, I don't want its mainstay aesthetically to be a Germanic Cross, because I know it would be affront to my ancestry insofar as 1/4 of my bloodline was wiped from the Earth in totality, with their village literally being razed and struct form the map. Pic related - Nikolajs Galdiņš, who would have overseen the muder of my great grandparents had they not fled Rega, Latvia - their mutual home town.

*shrugs* I get what your saying, and I feel hallow saying if I was gifted a 30k watch I'd make an exception, but it is what it is senpai.

accept** jesus I'm hungover

Does Sup Forums where I can get hands for a Seiko preferably coloured or just something to give it personality

dagazwatch.com/

Or browse through Yobokies Photobucket s161.photobucket.com/user/yobokies/library/?sort=3&page=1 and then email him at [email protected] to order.

That second thing might sound kind of shady but trust me the dude is fucking legit.

No, you. Silly buns. :^)

TFW NOBODY RATES MY OMEGAS

>tfw wore a miyota movement automatic for years that would lose minutes per day

>I figured this was normal on non quartz watches

>finally bought an omega mechanical as a gift to myself

>it can actually keep time to a reasonable degree

Feels weird

>minutes per day
That's fucking terrible, you didn't even need to get a few k Omega, even a Seiko 5 keeps better time than that

>tfw wore a miyota movement automatic for years that would lose minutes per day
>I figured this was normal on non quartz watches

If it was gaining more than a minute per day then your watch was broken. The Miyota 8215 is factory rated for -20 to +40 seconds a day and even that's extreme.

I bought the Omega just because I always wanted it.

But had I wanted to stay with automatics I definitely would have looked at those Seikos.

The automatic I had was like a hundred dollars.

Probably was. I may have some one take a look at it at some point.

You know yobokies is legit when you regularly see ppl sell his molded seikos used on ebay

*modded

6'1", 240lbs, not exactly overweight, but it is all fat.

>240lbs, not exactly overweight
Try again.

So what's fake about the tourbillon?
Serious question, as far as I was aware the tourbillon was simply the balance staff suspended in a cage to lesson the effect of gravity.
That seems to be what's going on with these Chinese watches in the 100-300 range, so what is it in missing?

And another cheaper type

They're just buttmad the chinks can do it for 10 times cheaper.

I totally spelt lessen wrong :(

Please recommend a digital watch for a five year old boy.

>Serious question, as far as I was aware the tourbillon was simply the balance staff suspended in a cage to lesson the effect of gravity.

Yeah, balance wheel, pallet fork and escape wheel suspended in a cage that continuously rotates to normalize the effect of gravity across one axis.

As far as the images you posted:
is just a regular watch that uses a bridge across the dial to create the basic look of something like a tourbillon. Nothing actually rotates at all. It's basically an open heart watch that tries to create some of the basic look of a tourbillon.

Type in " tourbillon bridge" into google and you can see the desired look they are trying to get from the bridge over the balance.

This uses the same bridge across the dial sort of look. It also uses the vacheron style logo for a flywheel that sits on top of the escapement and rotates. The escapement itself does not rotate, it just creates a rotational look to fool people who don't know different because it's literally a seperate wheel on top of the mechanism that rotates. It's also kind of funny what they did here. VC and other brands often use a tourbillon as a second hand, where there will be a second hand on the cage itself or a second hand coming out of the bridge over the tourbillon. They appeared to have copied this but there are 3 second hands, each 20 seconds apart, lol. See the second hand VC uses on on both of these

The tourbillon is a device that holds the balance wheel and spring, but also the escape wheel and its respective lever and pallets, all inside a cage that spins over its own axis with the help of an arbor, thus protecting the whole escapement from the effect of gravity.
>pic related

This shitty chink watches don't have a real tourbillon.

Homework on Tourbillon and Carrousel
youtu.be/f82wjlU30Gg

And this non shitty chink watch does have a real tourbillon.

day/night indicator masquerading as a moonphase.

I never said it's good m8, just non shitty.

Daniel Wellington helping out in a south east asia restaurant kitchen during his adventures

>They appeared to have copied this but there are 3 second hands, each 20 seconds apart, lol
I think they copied this from another brand, JLC to be precise, as it was included in several of their master tourbillons calibers, though, in pic related, only one has a small arrow finish.