Is it worth buying just one ?

Is it worth buying just one ?

Do you like Lays potato chips

are you retarded?

I AM. SO YES OR NO?

I was In a gpu thread last night. Had about 6 people all say that for 200 bucks it was going to be powerful enough to run the latest shit. If this is so, I wpuld say yes.... however... it is AMD you gotta get your head around that.

Do you not?

If you're happy with 1080p, sure. Not really for current AAA games at 1440p+, though.

Buy 20 and scalp them

It's not worth buying two. Like, you fail to understand that buying two actually means that you're a retard.

I can't even answer the question, and no-one who is honest can. You know why? It's not fucking out yet, we don't know how well it performs. We have good estimates but the exact performance is unknown.

>Zen 8core
>32Gb ddr4
>Rx480x/rx490 when released
>4k display
Comfiest setup ever

1080 is 3 times faster in realistic workloads don't fall for the Poolaris meme.

1. wait for benchmarks
2. wait for AIB/aftermarket cards
3. wait for Nvidia to respond

if the rx 480 is still a solid choice then go for it

The simple fact is wait until it's released - only 15 days or so - wait for the benchmarks, and go from there.

Decide if it'll suit your needs and buy from there.

> hurr but GTX 1080
If you don't need it, why buy it?
> but it's XY% faste-
Doesn't matter unless you plan on actually using the extra power it provides.
> muh poorfag
Not an argument
> lel drivers
They've been improving slowly but consistently.
> muh power draw
You're not consistently drawing 100% power, 100% of the time. Relax. Not to mention the majority of people don't make or break their decisions based on power draw.

Can we please put this to rest yet?

Realistically it should be around 50% faster according to die size.

Yeah no need for benchmarks, just pull out your ruler and measure the chip. That's exactly how it works. I don't know why Jay, linus, Logan and the other guys still bother with actually running the cards to see the performance

And it costs 3 times as much.

Fancy that.

Because that is how it works, there's a limit how much hardware you can stuff inside a fixed die area.

But benchmarks say it's only 60% faster. user said it was 300% faster in realistic workloads.
So clearly benchmarks ARE useless.

Drivers, architecture, memory speed, clock etc.
AMD Chips have been very good hardware wise lately, (more expensive to produce too) but the final performance always was dogshit compared to their potential. It's not just the capability of the hardware, but the ability to use that in the real world. And in that area AMD sucks the most voluminous bags of dick

3x is 200% better fucker.

He was talking out his ass but I'm 199% sure he wasn't serious.

I have an R9 280x right now. Is it worth the trouble of selling it on eBay and getting an RX 480 at the end of the month? I feel like I could sell my 280x for $150 easily.

I'm trying to sell mine and I don't think it's exactly "easy"

But you'll definitely get something better so if you can afford this go for it.

Yes, the 480 is way faster.

I am sure ASUS or MSI will come up wit X2 version so hold your horses.

>multi-gpu outside of the highest end
>multi-gpu at all

If you're willing to pay the $500+ for 2 just wait for the 490 or whatever that $500 tier gpu will be.

>is it worth
Depends on how highly you value your time. If you have a real job then it's probably not worth it. If you're working hourly at the MICKEY D'S drive through then it's probably worth it.

It's generally not a good idea to buy two cards or more at once for SLi/crossfire. It would be smarter to just buy a better single card, wait some time for a price drop, and then buy a second card. When you start off with a multi card set up you are really hurting your future upgrade ability.

I haven't seen anyone on eBay selling a working 280x as low as $150 so far.

How are the amd Linux drivers. Recently made the switch to Linux, but have a nvidia card at the moment.
I would mostly be playing valve games, so there Is the option to use vulkan

I wasn't planning on getting a new card this generation to be honest, but after hearing about the supposed performance that 480 has for the price, it peaked my curiosity. This PC is only being used with a 1080p set up however.

AMD +Linux isn't a good idea currently.
If you want to play games use Windows

It's about the same boost in performance you'd get from Crossfire, but without the microstutter.

Performance gains aside, next generation will have a better value. That's just the way of the world. If you don't need a new card don't buy a new card.

the 8gb version is estimated to cost 260-290€ in euroland.

so much for the cheap price

>euroland
So much for mattering at all.

Don't you have a race war to fight or something?

>race
Islam is not a race, silly.

Also that looks pretty good to put any kind of sticker on.

Besides, I'd pay 260 for the 8gb version. It's not like there's anything for that price that can touch it. An used 970 costs 250.

>ruffles master race

If you haven't sold your current card to buy one, you're retarded
It's a perfect placeholder until GP100/GP102 and Vega launch

I'm currently playing games at 1440p on a 960

What's the next step

The next step is killing yourself.

Big Volta really.

Getting more then 17 FPS would be a great start.

This is honestly the best advice.

Are you me? I literally use 960 on 1440p, playing overwatch, dota 2, csgo and diablo 3 occasionally. Literally nothing wrong with 960.

>I literally play steam-engine tier garbage that would run on a integrated Intel

Okay.

Your point is? 960 is the only GPU that fully supports HEVC decoding. I enjoy my 4k hevc torrents with it.

That would be interesting if you actually had a 4k monitor you blithering idiot.

downscaling from supersample > native res

Cute.

The RX 480 is the fucking king of price/performance of fucking course it's worth it to buy just one

Well, it's nice to know you literally only buy into gimmicks
At least run madVR instead of relying on retardation

dolbaeb pidaras blyat, huesos sin sabaki yebanie)))

Wouldn't a 10 year old used gpu, that you got for $2 have even better price / performance? How can it be king then?

>madvr
>not a gimmick

It was just released. It'll normalise.

Kill yourself.

madVR has much better downscaling than what Nvidia uses with supersample
mpv has slightly better downscaling that madVR, unless you love gimmicks and convoluted things like SSIMDownscaling

Yes and if you get a 4850 for free from a friend that has best price performance possible
Stop being dumb

because the goal is to run games at 1080p 60fps or higher and if a GPU can't handle that with current games then it's irrelevant how cheap it is because it's effectively worthless.

I was specifically saying that madvr is a hacky piece of shit

The RX 480 doesn't get 60 FPS in Witcher 3. Does it mean it's irrelevant?

Can it though?

yes

Was $2 it's retail price?

Yes.
>Doesn't even get 60fps at 1080p in The Witcher 3 on max settings
Literally worthless GPU, who would even buy such a thing ?

>who would even buy such a thing ?
I don't play the latest AAA garbage

This, its interchangeable with any new GPU generation release.

>$199
For me, yes

Seems cheap, but does anyone have experience with GPUs at launch? Cause I usually buy an ASUS version or whatever.

>Waifus
I'm sold.

I'm going to japan in Jully. Do they actually sell the GPU with that kind of stuff on it ? Should I buy it there ?

Of course not. AMD is a shit company that produces only shit products and supporting them is antisemitic to boot.

T. Undertale cuck

no one ever buys gpus at launch. everyone always waits and buys used.

Brah the 480/490 will max out most of your shit on 1080. Relax. One is enough.

Will any of these newer cards i.e. 1080/1070 or 480/490 require Windows 10? Fuck man, I really do not want that shit on my system.

No. Only DX12 needs Win 10.

woah woah woah, slow the fuck down

so wait, you telling me that you are 199% sure.

That means you are 3x sure, that is a lot of performance. You should go to a GP and get benchmarked.

But the $$$, you could probably buy two for the cost of a 1080...

If you're just playing in 1080p (in other words, merely replacing a console) then yes, it is.

But how can there be used cards if nobody buys new? Is it because of aliens?

>just 1080p
Since when has 1080p not been absurdly overkill for PC monitors sized screens anyway? Oh that's right, since they ran out of 1080p monitors to sell and invented a higher resolution.

I'm hard

i will buy one probably 4gb to save money since 4gb should be enough for 1080p
currently i have 380 2gb

>1080p
>absurdly overkill
kek'd

>our eyes can't even see

one of those guys again.

Nah, but if you measure his surety. It has a profile of 300mm2. Meaning that at 199% certainty, with the full area of a GTX 1080 as 1x sure for each 100mm2.

199% * 3 = 597% sure.

Thats nearly 6x sure. Then if you take into account the memory compression algorithms, increasing the levels by a further 42%, that makes the score now 8.5x sure.

AMD fags on fucking suicide watch. Sell your stocks right now.

Invest in AMD stock.

>4K isn't a meme.
Some of those guys again.

I use 47" TV as my main display. No, it isn't.

>insinuating there is no game in existence with graphical requirements between TW3 and Undertale

Undertale is better than Witcher 3 goy

no
mouth hurts after a 100g

Will the 480 be an upgrade from a 380 4gb?

unmodded w3 maybe

Are there mods to make the gameplay not trash?
Legitimate question

Undertale is garbage

i have an question. would a pcie 3.0 4x slot gimp a rx 480???

>ddr4
Are you even trying?

Nope. Literally nothing but a 1.0/1.1 x4 makes a meaningful difference, and even that isn't world-ending. (it's above 80% of 3.0 x16 performance)

You haven't played it. This discussion ends here.

I have played it.