The macbook air on Linux

Hello Sup Forums
I would like to know if the macbook air is a good utra-portable laptop.
I would like to install Archlinux or fedora maybe.

There is a good hardware support on linux or not really ?

Were i can find a very similar lightweight and slim laptop with 11 or 13 " screen.

Thank you so much

>mac
>good

Pick one.

It's definitely got a portable form factor and weight, but the screen is awful. You could have decent luck using Arch on a 1080p Chromebook to be honest.

But is it good to run fully Linux

>Were i can find a very similar lightweight and slim laptop with 11 or 13 " screen.

XPS13, ASUS UX305, TP X260

My girlfriend have a XPS 13 but i find it brittle

i will have to do 2hour of train per Day to go to work. i need a very good battery life

Xps13 has autobrightness issue that cannot be fixed

Asus of the hingebreak and no quality control

Thinkpad x260 maybe

>autobrightness
Even without any of the Windows driver/software fuckery? It's baked into the hardware?

The x260 is bigger than MBA O_O

you might as well just use one of those tiny thinkpads or eee-pcs or a chromebook... youre going to have to deal with driver difficulties with apple wireless hardware most likely.

They fucked it up just google it

X260 has only single channel memory and build quality issues

At this point I would probably get a macbook air 13.

the MBA is great. god tier battery life, build quality & asthetics. use macOS instead tho. unless your time is fucking worthless

i agree with you, it's a great machine, but i definitely won't use MACOS.
So the wireless may not working out of the box ?
more of this ?

Ubuntu usually works out of the box and requires little post-configuration after its installation. After that you don't need to do anything, just keep it updated.

Nice
So if it work with Ubuntu, it could work with Archlinux with some hack

Just buy a Jumper EzBook 2 you fucking fruit.

I think it could definitely work with Arch, but Arch isn't for users who'd like their computer "just to werk". I'm not against Arch, but I don't have that much of a time for it (e.g. installation, configuration, keeping it up-to-date, and troubleshooting if something isn't working).
So the comfiest way (imo) is to use Ubuntu with the MBA.

ah , maybe try ubuntu first so

I have an xps13 and have had no issue with the screen brightness. It's a damn good laptop.

nobody use a MBA on Linux here ? ^^

i disagree man. i've got one of those 2015 model 11" airs and apple purposely messes with the firmware so you can't install earlier versions of os x or windows. i had no idea before i bought this, and knowing this now i would not buy an apple laptop. you can't install an os x system lower than 10.10 and you can't install a windows system lower than version 8. so it's a machine made for the shittiest (imo) new operating systems that isn't specced properly for it. i'm telling you man, for someone who fell for the apple meme, just get one of those old thinkpads if you want to run linux.

chances are a linux distro won't be able to recognize the apple made ssd either. and yeah chances are there are no out of the box wireless drivers.

Sup Forums people use ThinkPads. They are better Linux laptops than MBAs ever were.

Are there any distros that have good Trackpad support outta-da-box, and which have or can allow you to customize macOS-like gestures?

I don't expect shit like Exposé, but being able to utilize the trackpad would be nice.

Spectre x360 and 13t

xps13 has better battery than air if you configure it to run 800mhz too

I was looking for a Linux ultrabook too and landed on the XPS 13 developer edition (no windows, double RAM)