give me a good reason why you arent using emacs as your main editor

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mnfPRLlsXqU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

because i have Sublime Text

>give me a good reason

>He needs emacs to write that garbage

>the good and best reason

Emacs is a very good OS, shame it's missing a functional text editor.

Vi

fossil key bind.

Why are you using uppercase for a function?

doesnt matter what is displayed :^)

because I wanted to

Why vi when vim?

you can clearly see from the rest of the code that he simply can't program

because i have mg

I have wanted to try emacs for a while but from what I've seen it doesn't have tabs. You can split the screen in half but for any other files you have to write the filename everytime.
Is there a package/plugin/whatever to work around this?

both codes displayed aren't mine. aside from that, I actually can't code, good atleast, but that isnt the subject here is it

VIM

Do you know any way to toggle/untoggle selection in sublime text? I hate keeping the shift key pressed while moving the cursor.

creat a macro or something like that. I am sure there are built in functions for it

>I'm not autistic

emacs works with buffers.
each buffer you open is basically a tab.
you can freely switch between them and split view them.

>freely switch between them
But every time I need to open a new one, I have to write the name.
I'm looking for a keyboard shortcut like "switch to the next/previous open buffer", and maybe a one line list of open buffers

People who use emacs/vim etc. Are like people who ride hybridcars

vim

because i use spacemacs

Be honest, how new are you?

You can do that and you can also just switch to the previous buffer if that's what you're looking for.

Oh cool, I'll check it out.

>muh newfags
go to leddit if you want a safe space

Because i spent more time fucking around with elisp and packages rather than doing actual work.
Now i'm on vs code and while less powerful and more resource hungry i'm not tempted to go and write a quick "fix" if the editor isn't doing exactly what i want.

I dont think he wants a safe space?
What are you even trying to say

>not implementing in Emacs Lisp

you have to start somewhere

i use vindos notepad

I haven't found the time to set it up properly

isn't that literally just a bunch of elisp plugins you slap on top of emacs

Because I'm just a newb that's still doing HTML/CSS and the ever-growing clusterfuck of JS variants...

so Atom does the job just fine for me at this point in time.

Because I use Dreamweaver :^)

Your code is formatted terribly. Please read the documentation for pep8 or at the least run it through flake8 or some linter.

Because it has minimal effect on my efficiency. I spend much more time thinking what I'm going to write than actually writing the code so the choice of editor is quite irrelevant to me. I use whatever is available and that ends up being vim most of the time.

If this is not the case for you then you will probably be replaced in next decade or so.

Please blow your brains out as soon as possible, preferably now.

>Vi or die son
I've never even tried emacs. I don't want to become one of those faggots who think they're superior to vim users.

>not part of posix

replaced for not using a 25 year old editor.

Fucking think before you right, you complete troglodyte.

>memacs
>vimeme
>memo
>atomeme
>memepad
>memedit
>sublimeme

lmao

Few honestly give a shit what text editor you use.

*write

>Incoherent

DELETE THIS

Because Visual Studio exists linux turbo nerd

Well as for me, I use the one I've grown up with, you know, the one they taught me at school? I will never switch away from Microsoft Windows Notepad. Even running it in wine as we speak.

> If this is not the case for you then you will probably be replaced in next decade or so.

Eh, what? You are going into a workforce that is full of idiot managers who care more about if they are making their ethnicity quotas than the text editor you use.

I fully suspect people will think less of you for using Vi and you will be invited to less social gatherings, coffee breaks, etc.

>Imgur picture proll taken from a subreddit
Looks like you also wanted some safespace

How did you manage to understand that you will be replaced if you don't use vim from that post? It even has "choice of editor is irrelevant" in it, please explain this anomaly.

I wished I could give you Sup Forums gold
What do you like :^}

Normalfags are welcome on Sup Forums with open arms these days. How much longer till Sup Forums unironically has a /facebook/ general

I haven't installed it

Your post was fine, you're just surrounded by idiots who can't into reading comprehension

/smg/
Socialmedia generals
Latest facebook updates:

Latest twitter updates:

Who should I like/follow

Join #smgsoc.irc to like and follow eachother

If you start thinking about "how socially compatible is xyz" your life is already over. You take a shower for yourself in order to feel well, not for others to think you smell good. Christ.

Because I use Notepad++

There is but I am not at my computer to check. I think it's C+Space

It's 2016 and c++-mode in emacs still doesn't have proper syntax highlighting for c++11, what the fuck.

>Fucking think before you right, you complete troglodyte.
Sieg Heil!

Refer to

But I do.

Well make them yourself?

because notepad++ and command prompt work fine so far

Oh boy. I can just imagine your life. XD

This.
I see all these emacs vs vim threads but I don't really see the point

Hi scriptkiddo

What do you do? As in what do you use it for to write

But I am

Does Emacs or vim have syntax auto complete?

Emacs and Vi seem like they require a lot of time invested in order to master.
What exactly will I gain in return if I invest the time?

Python mainly. I use it for HTML/CSS when needed

/thread

>2016
>using text editor
>not outsourcing to India

vim has a few nifty features for debugging. It even has mouse support for people who enjoy that.

>nifty features for debugging
For example?

Can emacs do this?

Or this?

Or this?

because i'm actually a productive person and not a ricing meme faggot

>productive person
>sublime
kek

>loading js before html
>15 fucking loc of external content
>not using CDN
Ask me how do I know that you're a colossal faggot.
Also
>html
>productivity
Pajeet+dreamweaver license cost less and do better than you.

Holy fucking Jesus, you don't even use protocol agnostic import links... Who even put you in charge of their frontend?

/thread

>being this fucking autistic
>spending entire day writing fizzbuzz in some obscure shitty language in your shitdick editor
>not being actually productive

Kys already

yes you can embed assets in emacs to be diaplayed if you are that big of an autist and need such a thing

and yes.

i dont think you realize how powerful emacs is if you take the time to mod it. practixally anything that can be run even through the terminal can be piped in too.

oldfag

Because I program in Java, C++, Haskell, Python, etc, and I use a variety of IDEs depending on what I'm programming in.

For example, I use Emacs for Haskell/Lisp/Prolog.

I dont know about np++ but in emacs its super easy to open a file - edit it - split the screen - run the file

and I dont know about html/css but you can always just youtube.com/watch?v=mnfPRLlsXqU

emacs is really nice with a lot of keyboard shortcuts so you dont have to regrap your mouse.

because im not a fucking apple fanboy

what the fuck does that have to do with anything?

Because your code is disgusting.

Because even plain notepad is a better editing tool than emacs.
Install Vim.

uh hi circlejerker

>impatient mode
Every IDE and their dog have this feature. I mean it's CURRENT_YEAR for fuck sakes