I've never learned coding, but I want to learn A language before this year ends

I've never learned coding, but I want to learn A language before this year ends.

Any suggestions on which one and how?
I'd prefer a language more forgiving for beginners but I'm always up for a EXTR3M challenge.

Other urls found in this thread:

golang.org/
gobyexample.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

python

C++
HTML
JavaScript

I've heard a lot bout this. But never where it is used

learn C
simple as that

HASKELL
A
S
K
E
L
L

Learn JavaScript. It is nice fast language and it will earn you money.

>which one
It literally doesn't matter, it's easy to pick up a second language after you know how to program in one.
>how
Google for the best "intro to programming" book using that language, find a PDF of it, read it, and do the exercises.

This is the only acceptable answer.

golang.org/

it's fun and easy to learn, gobyexample.com/ will get you going in no time

>nice
no
>fast
no
>will earn you money
maybe

Javascript is terrible to learn. Pretty much anything but javascript is a defensible choice.

Whatever you try to learn will be really hard at first. Just keep exposing yourself to the concepts you have trouble with until you get good.

It can be used for a lot of things. It's pretty much general pupose now, thanks to its popularity. It's an easy-to-learn scripting language, so it's useful for data flow tasks, server side scripting, or generally just glueing things together.

>The most powerful programming language is Lisp. If you don't know Lisp (or its variant, Scheme), you don't know what it means for a programming language to be powerful and elegant. Once you learn Lisp, you will see what is lacking in most other languages.

>Unlike most languages today, which are focused on defining specialized data types, Lisp provides a few data types which are general. Instead of defining specific types, you build structures from these types. Thus, rather than offering a way to define a list-of-this type and a list-of-that type, Lisp has one type of lists which can hold any sort of data.

>Where other languages allow you to define a function to search a list-of-this, and sometimes a way to define a generic list-search function that you can instantiate for list-of-this, Lisp makes it easy to write a function that will search any list — and provides a range of such functions.

>In addition, functions and expressions in Lisp are represented as data in a way that makes it easy to operate on them.

>When you start a Lisp system, it enters a read-eval-print loop. Most other languages have nothing comparable to `read', nothing comparable to `eval', and nothing comparable to `print'. What gaping deficiencies!

>Lisp is no harder to understand than other languages. So if you have never learned to program, and you want to start, start with Lisp. If you learn to edit with Emacs, you can learn Lisp by writing editing commands for Emacs. You can use the Introduction to Programming in Emacs Lisp to learn with: it is free as in freedom, and you can order printed copies from the FSF.

>You can learn Scheme (and a lot of deep ideas about programming) from Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs by Abelson and Sussman. That book is now free/libre although the printed copies do not say so.

>Please don't buy books (or anything) from Amazon!

That was the longest blob of sarcasm I have ever seen. Congratulations.

Lisp, lol.

OK. Getting serious now. Learn C. All languages used in the industry are eithe based on C (for example, C++) or written in C (any interpreted language invented in the past twenty to thirty years). If you understand and can use C well, you can pick up new languages quickly.

He said programming language, not text editor.

I recommend C, Python or Haskell.

>coding
It's called programming, you dunce.

If you want make money, then be webdev or choose java or cpp, but python is great for first language. If you are into embedded things you can try C too.

Pick up a baby language first, because the more languages you know, they easier it is to learn new ones. I tried learning c++ from the start and had to metaphorically smash my head against documentation for years before I understood the concepts behind it. Learn Lua or Python or smallbasic and use that to grasp the concepts before moving on to more in depth languages.

Programming your editor is a great way to learn, really.

Lisp is a great first language, a much better one than C if only because you learn fundamental ideas rather than bit diddling. There's a bit of Lisp in every language anyways because Lisp is very close to the AST other languages have to squeeze through a parser to reach. And parser's only exist because we mistakenly thought they make writing programs more human friendly.
if you're satisfied with the mediocrity present in the industry today, yeah, learn C

Lua is great, just learn it. Then learn C.