/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt to use IRC on a web client.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
fglt.nl/

Resources:
man
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AvfTZmecifc
youtube.com/watch?v=afISni_-Z5g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>GNU/Linux
Stallman, you lost your little autistic naming squabble. Get over it.

So is Ubuntu the way to go if you haven't really touched Linux in the last 6 or so years? And even back then I never used Linux for any extensive periods of time. I don't really play games anymore so I'm thinking of switching from Windows permanently, but my interest in all of this isn't as big as it used to be so I don't think I'll have the patience to learn stuff from scratch and really get deep into it again. I just want it to be a fairly painless experience where I can get into doing my regular stuff quick without having to set up the system for several hours.

So I have a font and I don't want it to be bold, ever especially in GTK applications. Is there an easy workaround or am I doomed to change my GTK theme file?
I'd also like to know how to set a fallback font (for non-latin characters, for example), any tips?

That's exactly where I was when I started getting back into it a couple months ago. I found I was happiest with Ubuntu or one of its variants. I'd suggest grabbing standard Ubuntu, Ubuntu MATE, and Mint Cinnamon and seeing which one feels best to you.

Thanks bro, I'm setting up a VM as I'm typing this so I'll be sure to try those out then.

You can change that in your fontconfig. It's a simple xml file where you can set up rules how fonts should appear.

From what I've heard, Mint seems to be pretty insecure.

I have tried that, but it didn't seem to work at first so I kind of gave up. Will it work even with GTK applications? Guess I'll look into it more.

>didn't seem to work
You need to restart X after changing the file.
The Arch wiki has a nice article about fontconfigs.

I did; maybe my syntax was wrong
I'll check that out thanks.

I'm having trouble finding inspiration. I only have 3 things on my Github
>Forensic shell script
>VPN shell script
>Xresources
Almost everything has been done before.

The claims of insecurity are overblown from what I've seen. No reason to use Mint unless you happen to like Cinnamon, though.

Actually I've never really liked Mints devs. I've been telling people that for years but nobody listened to me at least until that dude upload a rogue iso.

see

So i have an old laptop that i wanna install linux ,what you recommend?I have only so far used a VM.I wanna use the laptop to learn more about linux.
NOTE:i am not new into programming .

Doesn't matter. Whatever you feel like. I stuck with Debian for years or if you want to go balls deep shoot for Gentoo and learn how to maintain a source based distro.

What are the differences between Ubuntu and Mint Cinnamon? Are there any advantages that Ubuntu has over Mint Cinnamon?

see

The main one is that Ubuntu uses Unity as the desktop environment by default, and Mint Cinnamon uses, well, Cinnamon. You can install Cinnamon on Ubuntu.

Ubuntu gets updates faster, is more secure, and is more thoroughly tested. Mint has a better default configuration for Cinnamon. Otherwise they're mostly the same.

Oh, and Mint removes Google from Firefox by default because Yahoo pays them to, so you have to add it yourself.

>tfw 4.6 kernel
The following NEW packages will be installed:
linux-headers-4.6.0-1-amd64 linux-headers-4.6.0-1-common linux-image-4.6.0-1-amd64 linux-kbuild-4.6
The following packages will be upgraded:
linux-headers-amd64 linux-image-amd64

I have Ubuntu 16.04 running in a VirtualBox vm on my windows 10 machine (sue me, I play dem gaymz).
My problem is, that mouse-move events seem to 'consume' or override scrollwheel events. This means I can only scroll with the wheel if I hold the mouse absolutely still. As soon as the mouse is moved, scroll events don't get through. Is this a problem with Ubuntu or the vm?

I haven't had any luck with it. It goes past grub, scans my main drive as clean, and it just stays there. I do have Nvidia's proprietary drivers installed, maybe that's the issue.

History of GNU/Linux in 20 Minutes
Part 1: youtube.com/watch?v=AvfTZmecifc
Part 2: youtube.com/watch?v=afISni_-Z5g

of course that's the problem...dkms or reinstall

How can I remove this shit manjaro firefox theme?
I want my own theme

Install/write your own.

I have my own
But it doesn't go away

install gentoo

Maybe something's wrong with your theme?

This is with all themes

Reinstalling fixed it. It's weird, the drivers themselves build DKMS modules, but it didn't like 4.6.
I sure wish AMDGPU had better performance. I would move in a heartbeat. Really hoping Polaris gets more love in Linux.

Fixed it with removing ~/.mozilla/firefox/manjaro.default

When ever i unplug my mouse, all the settings in Xmodmap are no longer honored.
I looked at udev,but i didnt see how i could reset the config/bindings

Why do I have so many Opera processes running when I only have one Opera window open?

Maybe you need an Opus instead.

Holy shit this is in my town, in fact I know people who work there lmao. Pretty good food, a little pricey though.

How do i put PowerTop v2.8 on my debian that has no GUI.
On the powertop website there is just a .tar.gz file.
I am a beginner in gnu/linux.

Download tar file
tar zxvf filename.tar.gz

sudo apt-get install powertop

don't skip the easy stuff

so i type in tar zxvf powertop-2.8.tar.gz ?
Do i do this after going into the directory where the tar.gz file is?
What happens afterwards? Is this powertop program supposed to be GUI based?

How will it know where powertop is?

You use whatever the filename is. I don't know what powertop is so I don't know if it uses a GUI
Do what the user above suggested and try installing with apt instead, that's the best option if it's available in the repositories

it's in the repos

It will be installed into the standard place with the other programs. You can run it by typing "powertop" in the command prompt just like any other program you have installed

cool thanks. I will report back in a bit.

Currently my mouse buttons are bound to homerow number line. Yesterday xev reported them as F13-F24 correctly. Randomly(have not restarted since it was working) it is bound to the home row again.
Configs are as below. Did i miss something in the process?
.xinitrc:
if [ -s ~/.Xmodmap ]; then
xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap
fi
remote_id=$(
xinput list |
sed -n 's/.*Naga.*id=\([0-9]*\).*keyboard.*/\1/p'
)
[ "$remote_id" ] || exit

mkdir -p /tmp/xkb/symbols
cat >/tmp/xkb/symbols/custom

Thank you for posting your solution. Good boy.

Modern browsers split up addons, plugins and the actual browser in multiple processes.

Hello 9GAG.

np

What is the easiest image processing software? I only need to do basic shit like transparency.

pinta

if you're just going to do basic shit,just imagemagick

Thanks, I'll try both!

Ok so currently my only working linux is puppy, because i failed to install debian on to my usb, because i previously corrupted it with encryptions and partitioning.
Do any of you knowbhowbi would get powertop on slacko 6.3?

if i want to make a script "installable" for others but it needs to run something when starting a new shell.. is it okay to append to the user's startup script (.bashrc or .zshrc) or are there more friendly methods? I don't think anything I've ran ever added to my startupscript

Why not run it before starting the new shel and during the installation?

via whatever package manager ships with slacko?
puppy is supposed to be grandpa friendly, so the software manager should be readily apparent

>before starting the new shel and during the installation?
What do you mean? If I run it just at installation it won't stick around. It's some completion thing like

tepstar() {
sh test.sh $1
};

_tepstar() {
words[1]=(pacman -Qi);
(( CURRENT ++ ));
service=pacman;
_pacman
};

compdef _tepstar tepstar

to allow tab completion

linux amatuer here
installed the latest fedora with xfce de on my x200s chinkpad
can you give me some tipps or recommend me some stuff ?
the only things that bothered me is file manager that you can add to the panel, it is great but it cant open files, only folders, annoys me a little bit
also I cant install the brackets text editor, the software manager can not open the .deb file

>.deb
You want .rpm for Fedora.

Success!!:)
Now, if only i could run slackware in gui mode now.
I dont have access to sudo because in puppy theres no user system or w.e that thing is. Only root. And i cant find the runlevel jn etc/innit like it says when i search the web.
Would you happen to knowbaything abiut this?

Following the download instructions found on the Iridium browser's website. I add the repo and key, but when I go to apt-get update. Apt shows an error saying the repo for Iridium browser does not have a release file.

How can I install apps on elementary os, the beta literally has no programs, using sudo apt-get install is completely worthless, going to chrome or firefox and downloading a file to install, is also worthless, so what the fuck I am supposed to do?

sudo apt install firefox

install fedy

Alright, now how do I install chrome? or rather what do these files you download on the internet even do? (.deb) opening them doesn't seem to do anything, even if I open them in the appcenter.

and number 3, how come apt worked and not apt-get even though all tutorials seem to use apt-get?

Question, how would I put a summary up on checkinstall so I don't have to retype the thing every time I want to rebuild something? I don't build that much software, but I do have it done daily. The man pages don't say anything about passing the summary as arguments.

apt and apt-get should be functionally equivalent, unless you fucked up somehow.

opening a .deb file should install an application on debian-based systems, unless you fucked up somehow.

I suspect that this fuckup is called elementary os

>I suspect that this fuckup is called elementary os
Fine I'll try another distro, just need to look up how to uninstall this shit first.

So I have been using Gentoo for quite some time and I'm really used to it. I recently got an old X61s thinkpad and I need some minimal distro for it. I''d use gentoo, but the compile time would be too much. Would it be simple for me to get used to arch after using gentoo for a long time?
tl;dr how is switching from gentoo to arch when I'm used to gentoo?

You could try writing a small wrapper script to parse the data if nothing else workd

Also, sauce on that pic?

Only an idiot would use Elementary Os. Only an idiot would use niche distributions which are based on other distributions and only chance the visual appearance. Elementary Os' case is specific because they ship an immature desktop environment which shouldn't be used, because the alternatives are more mature and accomplish the same (Xfce with Plank/Docky for example).

Stop installing niche distributions and then complaining when things don't work.

Something like passing a string and the Enter key? All my script does is call other scripts.

For example, my daily build script goes something like
cd /home/user/software1/
./rebuild_software1
The scripts called upon vary, but they're nothing special. Here's one for OBS studio.

cd build
sudo dpkg -r obs-studio
cd ..
sudo rm -rf build
git pull
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -DUNIX_STRUCTURE=1 -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr ..
make -j4
sudo checkinstall --pkgname=obs-studio --backup=no --pkgversion="$(date +%Y%m%d)-git"
sudo apt-mark hold obs-studio

For the sauce, while Google does bring out personalized results, they do point to Sup Forums archives. In it, I found the name. It's Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko.

any distro can be made 'lite'

the fact that you are asking this question AND a gentoo user is both sad and hilarious

I been having trouble with my rice. I was using the solid arc gtk theme, but since then switch to the transparent one. For some reason I am not getting any transparency in the theme. Has anyone ran into something similar?

He obviously isn't a Gentoo user.
It's obnoxious as hell. People claim to be using Linux distributions for years and then ask such questions which someone who has been using it for years should already know. What do they get out of it? Why ask such questions and lie on the internet anonymously?

>hai gais ive been using arch for 10 years, centos for 6, debian for 7
>do you recommend fedora? i like how it looks, the xfce spin
>do you think i as a former slackware user will like it?!??!? pls respond

He dosent want to spend 2months compiling to make gentoo 'lite'

Because your desktop isn't composited.

this post is like a breath of fresh air in an increasingly polluted linux community

I thought I was alone

So you know every single command ever ever made ever for all distro?
People know enough to serve their purposes,and daily needs.Random joe blow has no use for lamp + services

Compton just turns my boarders white and makes every stutter and and moving windows turns it in to xp solitaire distortions

wtf

What the actual fuck are you talking about?

That has nothing to do with this.
The point is that anyone with that amount of experience would know the key differences between distributions. Package managers, release model and packaging philosophies (related to patching for example). Someone who has been using Gentoo for years would know how to look up Arch's website, read a few sentences of documentation and see its key features. Heck, someone using Gentoo is most likely already familiar with Arch's core principles (rolling release, pacman package manager, vanilla packages as close to upstream as possible). What's the point of asking such a subjective question then?
A normal user would just spend 10 minutes installing it and see for himself instead of asking a question on here and waiting for an answer.

Generally you shouldn't fuck around with users config files, just provide a INSTALL or README file, where you explain how to install your script.

>People claim to be using Linux distributions for years and then ask such questions which someone who has been using it for years should already know

>being this dense

Your response doesn't follow, unless you think that only omniscient wizards can switch distros without being spoonfed.

Are you going to be alright?

Compton isn't the only compositor out there. Depending on your desktop environment, it might come with a compositor (Xfce's xfwm4 has a built in compositor, KDE's Kwin does too, GNOME does too, etc). If you don't use one of those, try Xcompmgr (Compton is based on it, I wouldn't recommend it) or Compiz.

Either way, getting transparency is impossible without having a composited desktop.

I feel like I'm on a different planet right now

What's a good tool for making VOB IFOs from DVDs?

I think it must be a really, really angry non-native English speaker.

>to fix your problem, first uninstall your operating system

I am on unity. Some applications like gedit have transparency while others like nautilus do not.

Compton doesn't magically work; you need to give it the right settings. Read the manual.

Let me devolve to your level
>HURR DURR I HAS PROBIM
>INSERT INSULT
>HUUR DUU I KNOW EVERYTHING AND EVERY COMMAND
>HUUDUURR IF YOU USE LINUX FOR 1 SECOND YOU SHOULD KNOW EVERY COMMAND EVER EVER EVER EVER CREATED
No.
People know what THEY do on THIER system,if they dont use VM how can they possibly get help with it,if they have never had a use for it,but now 15 years later,they want to use it. So they should have already learned it? Even why there would be no reason for him to have any interest in it prior to this day?

>still this dense

So default use is to fuck your screen up?
Sounds like a awesome default setting!!!!!

Angrier and angrier, but still no clearer.
Do you know an interpreter? Can you bring them here?

A seasoned GNU/Linux user knows that all distros are basically the same.

>fucks up his screen
>blames %random program%