So I'm about to buy my first desktop with the following specs:

So I'm about to buy my first desktop with the following specs:

Intel 6700k - Skylake i7 4.0 - 4.2 GHz, overclocked to 4.6 GHz

32 GB RAM

GTX 970, overclocked (don't know what to)

512 GB M.2 SSD for Win10 & 3TB Seagate HDD for main storage

Gonna get myself one of them Ultrawide LG monitor's for it too (LG 29UB65-P).

What performance can I expect in the following;

GTA IV
GTA V
Watch_Dogs
3DS Max with VRay RT
ZBrush
Gazebo (running on Ubuntu)

>Finally, plot twist;

Why is Ubuntu 14.04 preferred to more recent editions in literally everything I see?

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/MDrWZ8
pcpartpicker.com/list/qwVHxY
scan.co.uk/products/512gb-samsung-sm951-m2-(22x80)-pcie-30-(x4)-nvme-ssd-mlc-nand-read-2150mb-s-write-1550mb-s-300k-iops
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>gta
>Ubuntu

Stick with windows kid
I you're buying a gaming rig
Don't bottleneck it with an os that isnt mainstream yet for gaming

i7: Useless if you are only doing gaming
32GB RAM: Completely overkill
970: Wait for the 1070

>970
no

So plan was to have Ubuntu installation on a partitioned part of the 3 TB drive, just for running Gazebo and other such software. All gaming and most usage on Win 10.

This is intended to be a moderately high-performance PC for simulation/computation/casual gaming.
Went for 32 GB RAM to future-proof it. Planning on leaving 2 slots free to expand to 64 GB in the future.
1070 is already a purchase option for this rig, but I'm already at £1500 and don't really want to add on £157.30 for the 1070. Is the 1070's performance really that much better? I see the VRAM is doubled (in fact, more than), but the frequency and # cores increase is minimal... What are your thoughts though?

Why? Cost effective solution, no?

just wait for the 480 or 1070's price to drop desu

it would be retarded to buy a 970 right now

if you really like your gay men, you should go for the rx480 or the gtx10xx

if you are serious about using your pc, you should go for a quadro or firepro

Future-proofing with that much ram is a meme, 16 is the max needed for gaming.
>casual gaming
I'm building my first one and just went with the i5-6600k, only $220.

Make a pcpartpicker.com list or something dude, like so
pcpartpicker.com/list/MDrWZ8
No vidya/monitor chosen yet because I'm still waiting to see how things pan out.

wasted quads

buy a 1TB drive instead of a 3 TB
buy only 8 or 16 GB (meme) RAM. you don't need to "future proof". if you need more, you buy it at a cheaper price later

congrats. you are retarded.

1TB fills up pretty quick unless you mean 'buy multiple 1TBs'

You are better off using virtualbox on your windows install and running linux there.
Dual booting is a meme.

I'm also being shamed by my cousin for buying just an i5 for gaming.

He's a mac faggot that is going to spend close to 2 grand for maybe a 20% performance increase in his itunes/kikebook machine.

I can't even begin to..

>frequency and # cores increase is minimal
look at real world benchmarks to determine gpu performance. the 1070 is like 40% faster than the 970

no

>2016
>falling for the 'professional graphics' meme

Really makes you think.
It is just a 'professional tax'?

Budget does definitely not allow for Quadro or FirePro cards.

Made you a list.
>pcpartpicker.com/list/MDrWZ8

Already have 6 GB on laptop, and I'm filling it. Want moar.

My specific usage has issues with VirtualBox setup.
>Done research.

Okay, agreed.

Agreed.

>not recommending op to buy more expensive shit with worst gay men performance

What performance drop would I see switching from an M.2 SSD to a normal SSD for main OS installation? Want to reduce costs if I upgrade to 1070.

Also, apologies, that was your link. Here's mine;
pcpartpicker.com/list/qwVHxY

>first PC
>Over clocking

Make sure your system is stable and good before you go OC'ing shit on your first build.

You as a user will notice pretty much no difference since I believe M.2 still uses SATA lanes like a regular 2.5" SSD Just use the 2.5" since it is much more cost effective and take the savings to get the 1070

I really can't speak much on professional pc's but it looks okay to me. Some might recommend the Broadwell-E CPUs because they have more cores. I'm not sure if the m.2 ssd is much faster, I think the pcie ones are the fastest but again I'm not very well-read on those, really turned off by the price. Nice mobo btw

Also, I've seen that Ultrawide go for less at bestbuy. It was roughly $300 last I saw

Given time, you may be able to run your Ubuntu application under the Ubuntu windows subsystem (imagine reverse wine)

Unsure if it will work out with your application through
Shit like tmux and zsh work in it, been using it myself for a while

Fear not, I'm not building it myself; getting it professionally built, overclocked and tested to death.

The M.2 drive I'm looking at using PCIe 3.0 lanes, claiming 2150 MB/s read and 1550 MB/s write speeds. This compares to 520 MB/s read and 520 MB/s write if I were to go with regular SATA III SSD.

UK user here, so I'll be buying from Amazon UK. Currently looking at £215 for the LG 29UB65-P - equates to about $304.

It even says on pcpartpicker that the M.2 uses a SATA Express lane and the only difference you'll see between SATA and PCIe SSD's in in Crystal Disk and when moving very large files

I highly recommend you use a 2.5" SSD, use two 16GB sticks of DDR4 at 2400MHz or higher, get an HGST or Western Digital HDD, and get an AIO liquid cooler. The liquid cooler will not perform much better than the air at full load, but it will bring temps back down much faster

Does 2150 MB/s vs 540 MB/s not sound like a significant enough difference? I'm afraid I don't see the SATA Express Lane reference you made on PCPartPicker. Scan.co.uk definitely does not mention it.

scan.co.uk/products/512gb-samsung-sm951-m2-(22x80)-pcie-30-(x4)-nvme-ssd-mlc-nand-read-2150mb-s-write-1550mb-s-300k-iops

Liquid cooling proved to costly.
I intend to call them after I place to order and switch to 2x 16 GB sticks (not an option on the website). Not sure what they'll offer, but could likely be Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX at 2133MHz.
Main HDD is Seagate Barracuda, 7200 RPM, 64 MB cache. That's the cheapest 3 TB option they offer me.

As a system builder (though I doubt that carries much weight on Sup Forums) I have seen many Seagate drives fail well before their time. Also, yes, those numbers look impressive until you get into real world use and moving files is barely noticeable on a 2.5" SSD. I have used 2.5", M.2, U.2, and PCIe SSD's before and there is rarely much difference until you start moving files over 4GB around. My laptop has a M.2 drive and it's fucking quick in benchmarks, yet I hardly notice a difference between moving files on my laptop and moving files on my desktop. You're likely to bottleneck almost all of that Read/Write speed with the Read/Write of your HDD. So the only performance gain is when you are moving files around on the SSD and Startup time for your rig

So, I guess if it's worth almost double the cost for the same space to you, go with the M.2

Duly noted - thank you.

I wish you the best of luck!

check out the r380 if you are in that kinda priceclass. If you can wait 15 more days, look at the 480 specs

Plug for AMD, R9 390 is competitive with the 970 and the RX 480 (available at the end of month) will stomp them, though I'm not sure how you'd feel about OpenCL vs Cuda. Nvidia cards I recommended waiting for the next gen 1070, when they get their yields up and cards shipped, not the price scalping that's going on now.
As tor the M.2, it runs off of PCI, so large transfers will be hella quick, but random transfers (the speediness of which gives SSDs their snappiness) won't see much of an uplift. Also, boot times are usually a few seconds longer, because the PCI needs to initialize first.