/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Post small or dumb questions here, someone will probably answer you! This thread is for questions that dont deserve their own thread as they would not inspire discussion.

My questions here:
>where can i find windows xp 64 bit with a key
>what spraypaint works good on galvanized steel

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie
tomshardware.co.uk/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-970-maxwell,review-33038-11.html
forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/hardware-recommendations-read-this-first.23069/
pcpartpicker.com/list/ryYqsJ
forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=125119.0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What thread do I go to to ask about flight sticks/racing wheels? What about VR shite?

Please don't say Sup Forums.

From Wikipedia : On 28 December 2014, Der Spiegel published slides from an internal NSA presentation dating to June 2012 in which the NSA deemed... privacy tools such... TrueCrypt... as "catastrophic," leading to a "near-total loss/lack of insight to target communications, presence..."

Am I the only one that thinks the gov shut down tc with false claims of security flaws. Also, tc recommends bitlocker, given the recent botnet fiasco with ms, wouldn't this be a play by NSA to get gullible idiots to migrate to a backdoored software?

battlestation threads, theyre all about peripheral stuff like mice, keyboards, and stuff like controllers and all that

>>where can i find windows xp 64 bit with a key
on amazon.com

/vg/ has a flight sim general i think

Christ I never would have thought of either of those. I'm glad these threads exist where I can feel stupid but not too out of place.

How do I just snap windows to the sides/top in Cinnamon? It just prompts me to "press to enter snap mode" but if I press or hold Ctrl with any combination of mouse/window movement the window never snaps.

I want to get into cyber security, where do I even start?

I'm planning on upgrading my system and I'm debating whether I should retro-fit a new system in this old thing.

Should I do it Sup Forums?

>job interview tomorrow
>can't sleep because i'm nervous as fuck

what do i do now? i already took a sleeping pill like 3 hours ago.

i'm going to fuck this up

holy shit, OP here, thats what im doing right now with my old thinkcenter

just stripped it down a while ago, waiting on the parts to show up now

thinking of painting the inside so i dont see galvanized steel

I've been there my dude, I usually turn on some cozy background noise and play a relaxing, low stress video game. Obviously this won't work for everyone but you need to take your mind off it somehow so that you can feel relaxed enough to get some rest. Staring at your ceiling in bed isn't going to help.

My Oculus Rift is arriving tomorrow and I only have an Nvidia 750. I was waiting for the 1070/480 to become available before I upgraded but I wanted to use my Oculus as soon as it arrives.

What I was thinking of doing was ordering a 970 off of amazon, then returning it for a full refund once the 1070/480 becomes available. Now I don't want to get somehow stuck with a 970 that I can't return so do you think I could run into any problems doing this?

Thank you my friends.

Got weed? That helps me
Maybe a shot to help you sleep? I would be careful with that sleeping pill though

If your interviewer says something about you looking tired say you were anxious or excited and had trouble sleeping.

What's the hot new video card shit to get right now? Budget is $200-300.

When will there be more 1070s and 1080s in stock, do you think?

Are AMD's new Polaris cards any good if I want good performance?

but yes, you should
the cases are beautiful, and have fantastic airflow and most of them have a panel below the motherboard that allows you to tuck cables underneath it safely
its a dream for cable management

i got some shitty biostar micro atx board, a zotac gt430 (needed VGA), 8gb of hyperx blue, and a kit of misc screws and such (because half the fucking motherboard hex risers were fused to the screws and were a bitch to remove)

next paycheck im going to get an evga 430w psu, a pentium g3260 and some SSD
overall, the whole build is costing me less than 250$, as i already have the stock case fans, the pentium 4 heatsink fits lga1150 motherboards, and the HDD uses Sata II so i can use that alongside the SSD

iirc, the ones with the honeycomb front are a few years newer than the one I have. Still looks good tho. Hard to believe it's 10+ years old, it just looks so modern.
What are your putting in yours?

I'll repost this since the old thread died shortly after I posted it there.

So I've been thinking about making my condo into a "smart home". The core of this would be IFTTT for connecting everything together and programming the devices to do scheduled and predefined tasks, while an Echo Dot would be used for controlling it as needed and be a sort of hub for all of these devices (smart lights, smart lock, etc) to run through.

I want an Echo Dot instead of a normal Echo because of its ability to use external speakers. I want to be able to have a speaker in every room so that I don't have to have the Echo at full blast just to hear it in the room over, I can hear it evenly throughout my condo at a reasonable volume.

Basically what I'm wondering is if you guys have any recommendations for a speaker solution that would do what I'd want it to do. I'm thinking a receiver next to the Echo Dot with wireless speakers throughout my home, but I'd have no idea where to start when it comes to finding good ones.

server dooty

seems we posted at the same time

IBM always made their shit look modern minimalist, no excessive detailing, only 2 LED's, clean cut lines
got the original system for like 30$, used it as a shitposting machine for a while

Thats horrible. Most often you will be hit with a 15-25% restocking fee if the card is not defective. But It's amazon, so just say it didn't come. They will ship you a new one, usually.

i'll get a beer and play some tf2, thanks. i hate it when that happens, used to be the same when i had presentations in school. i would usually just take caffeine pills, but i had to stop taking them at some point. i hope everything will be fine, i'm probably overthinking it again.

This person here:
Nah, I got the the mATX version, the power supply is top mounted and the layout it average at best. I'd have to modify it to have a front intake, as it has a single 3.5" drive bay that's accessable from the front instead of an intake.

Well Amazon is usually very good, but seeing as you'll use the card it will likely have a "restocking fee" and cost you some money.

good luck~ I hope you get the job user!

ah, mine has 3 3.5" bays, a 2.5" bay, the floppy bay and two bays for things like CD drives
and it has the front mounted fan, plus the back mounted fan
even with a dothan pentium 4 housefire with original thermal paste it idled at about 34c

botnet is absolutely disgusting, you are not welcome here, kys

How do I get Samba shares working properly in linux mint? I have it set up but constantly get disconnected or I am unable to add/edit/view files from either Linux or Windows?

hello stupid questions thread i am a stupid frogposter . if a cpu is dead, will the motherboard internal speaker beep ?

the cpu LED is red indicating there is a problem with cpu but i'm not sure if it's the mobo of the cpu .

sudo chown root:sambashare /var/lib/samba/usershares/

sudo service samba restart

Did nothing.

MYSTERIOUS AS THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON

We're on the internet, if you cared about avoiding the botnet you're too late.

our recommendation is don't fucking do it unless you like the NSA watching you masturbate

Do WebRTC offers expire?

Well I see no need for cameras. They can listen all they want, not like they couldn't just point a mic at my winder if they were really desperate to hear me in my "alone time."

a motherboard will post without a cpu installed.

post=beeps

>winder
Window*

so it will beep but not actually have the video card display anything ?

it's a mobo from 2012 i believe

Why is that horrible?
Here is the response I got from Amazon customer support if you were interested.

So I've currently a R9 390 as my graphics card.
With the new cards coming out, should I just crossfire another 390 or consider a single card from the latest Nvidia? 1070/80

Try sharing a folder within the Home folder, tick 'Share this Folder', 'Allow others to create and delete files in this folder' and 'Guest Access' and see if you can access the share from a Windows machine.

I hope you have a hefty psu. And a case that can handle heat. But you could get another 390 for 250-300 I bet, which is less than 1070/80.

is defraggler still the best option for windows 7? because I forgot to defrag for a long time and when I start it, it makes pretty good progress but slows down around 50+% and says it will take >1day

The crossfired 390s would outpace a 1070 at a cheaper pricepoint (since you're only buying one), but there's always the issue of games needing Crossfire support for you to take advantage of that.

A 1080 will still beat that setup.

Facebook keeps me logged in, even after exiting my chrome browser, why is this?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie

firefox has many tools to manage the HTTP session to get the results you want. not sure about chrome.

cookies m8

I'm trying to upload 300TB of music data in a cloud storage so what is a good service to use to upload all this crap I have?

I hope you're using hyperbole.

At 100mbp/s upload it would take almost a year to upload all of those files.

Why I can't use an animated GIF as a desktop background?

You use to be able to in XP.

i'm planning to buy another gtx 970 but i don't know if my 700w psu is enough for a sli.
I got a gtx 970 and a 4790k.

Devs gave up and didnt want to have anything to do with it anymore.
bitlocker was for the lulz

what gpu do i need to be able to play skyrim with good enb at 1440p60?

I'm not going to play skyrim but it seems like a popular enough reference.

Hey guys I tried installing debian on my machine but now it asks me for a username/password and I never specified one. How do I get around this and can I directly delete the partition with GRUB?

try user and live
or root and password

both of those failed. any ideas?

install again or just toast it like an english muffin

tomshardware.co.uk/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-970-maxwell,review-33038-11.html

Power spikes happen with the 970 that would overpower a small psu. It would be somewhat questionable.

how do I install again I am trying to boot from the usb but I can't find an option for that

nvm I got something to work

anyone know where I can get a DVI-D m to DVI-I m cord?

Anyone have recommendations on building a decent home server?

used xeons + motherboard, maybe 8gb of ram, and a shitload of WD blues

What's the difference between 32 and 64 bit programs?

How trustworthy is a power supply calculator

It recommends 550w under full load, overclocked and extra things added. If I get a 550w I'll be fine right, it says it only uses 500w at unrealistic worst case scenarios.

What would even happen if I managed to need more than 550w anyway?

What do you plan on doing with it? You could be anywhere from a Raspberry Pi to a room full of racks.

They generally overestimate by a safe margin. Look at Anandtech's bench for your GPU. AT benches with an overclocked 130W hex core, so if you're running just a standard consumer desktop processor you're going to be under their max load.

I want to stream 1080p video, store files so that I can access them when i'm not at home, and also act as an auto torrent downloader/seed box.

How much memory they are able to address (make use of). Also when comparing x86 against AMD64, you get more CPU registers to work with, which could allow a program to run faster.

what anime is this from

So a desktop.

Howl's Moving Castle

I was an idiot and tilted the can of compressed air I was using to clean my PC. I was spraying my GPU. Haven't plugged my PC back in yet. How fucked am I?

This thread is geared towards hardware that will run FreeNAS. FreeNAS is designed primarily as a storage server ("Free (as in freedom) Network Attached Storage"), but it can also run "jails" (think VM's) that run Plex (video transcoding), ownCloud (remote file access), and Transmission.

forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/hardware-recommendations-read-this-first.23069/

If you end up deciding not to use FreeNAS and run a Linux distro instead, the guide is still valid, but you can ignore the emphasis on ECC memory.

>Reposting because nobody replied the first time

I was sent a .mov movie file. The audio cuts off after the first like ten seconds (at a consistent time) for the rest of the video. If I skip past it, the audio will play and then cut off again at seemingly random times. I can listen to cut off parts by skipping ahead, so I know the audio is there somewhere. Something is just telling it to switch off. It generally looks like it syncs up with a spike in noise level? Again, I know the audio is there so this isn't like a noise filter that activated when it was recorded.

I've never had this issue before so I don't really know how to troubleshoot. I tried playing it through different programs, and the same thing happened for each.

Apparently it plays fine all the way through for them.

What's going on here?

There's no benchmarks out for the specific card I want, but their site says 230w and recommends a 500w PSU too. I think as long as I don't raise the voltage I'll be fine.

Throw a hair dryer on it on the spot for an hour to be safe

So you got it all wet?
Just dab it with some paper towels and let it air dry for a couple hours. No need to go crazy and scrub it with towels -- a little water's seriously not that bad.

Just fucking say what CPU and GPU you're getting. "Stupid question thread" doesn't mean to make your questions extra stupid.

This may seem like a weird question, not even sure if Sup Forums is the right place to ask. But, if I wanted to connect something like pic related to a computer that runs ubuntu, how would I do it? Are there any bill acceptors that already have drivers for it?

I can almost expect the answer, but what's your guys' opinion on RAID0 vs RAID1 on a NAS?

I need a new computer and I'm tired of waiting for Am4. Is Am3/Fm2 still worth buying in 2016 or I jump ship to Intel?

pcpartpicker.com/list/ryYqsJ

Can someone make sure I'm not being stupid with anything? This will be my first build in a long time and I'm going to wait for partner 1070s to come out before pulling the trigger. An NVIDIA GPU is non-negotiable as I do CUDA-based work but I'm open to advice on anything else.

I have no idea, but I really want to know why you're doing that.

can anyone tell me how to backup my systems. Do I just copy the entire filesystem to an external drive or is it more complicated than that.

Depends on if you care about drive failures.

Wondering about cooling.
Getting a new CPU, going for an I7 6700K 4.0GHz, wondering if I this is the time I should fainlly bother with water cooling or just do the usual and get a fat heatsink/fan combo going. I tend to play the occasional thing that loves to eat CPU time more than anything else, Cities Skylines in particular causes my current machine to shit heat and fan noise.

I just connected my old Yahoo account to Thunderbird. The date is wrong on a lot of the emails. I'm seeing stuff listed as received today that I actually received six years ago.

Any way to fix this?

arduino or raspi
google bill acceptor arduino or bill acceptor raspberry pi

for example:
forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=125119.0

Im working on a small personal project, basically making a jukebox with a microcontroller. And I dont know how to implement the bill acceptor. Also, it doesnt have to be ubuntu, as long as it can run an os with a video and audio output. Im really lost here.

How do i customize my firefox appearance?
is there a way to get the nightly theme on firefox?
why is firefox developer edition not syncing my nightly stuff but normal firefox does?

Obligatory >Seagate and >Rosewill
But it seems okay

>cuda
Kek
if you're spending that much, there is no reason to not have an ssd

>basically making a jukebox with a microcontroller
That's cool.
>Im really lost here.
I can imagine, I don't even know where to begin with researching something like that. I imagine google is no help whatsoever. I wish you the best of luck though.

That case has openings everywhere. As far as sound is concerned it might as well not be there.
Do you really need a mATX build? For all the money you're putting into this, I'd get a Fractal Design R4 or R5.

this is such a pure and innocent question

Thanks a lot, user. I think the raspberry pi might be what Im looking for.

Thanks, user.

>That case has openings everywhere. As far as sound is concerned it might as well not be there.

What is best to look for in a case?
Beyond if it fits the hardware that is.