What if a helicopters propeller stops spinning, is there a back up generator or something or are you fucked?

What if a helicopters propeller stops spinning, is there a back up generator or something or are you fucked?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pzWw5U3eCok
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autorotation
youtube.com/watch?v=BTqu9iMiPIU
youtube.com/watch?v=9kxu543VwlA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Depends on why it's stopped, I guess... if it's an actual hardware fault then you're probably fucked.

Depends on what you mean. You mean the rotor seizes or the engine stops? One you're fucked, the other you have autorotation.

Yes, the rotor seizing. You talk as if the engine is fine the helicopter can still glide.

It's called autorotation and let's you land the heli in a controlled manner if you loose engine power. Some places require it as part of your helicopter certicifate/license.

This video shows it from about 1:25, keep in mind the last 20 feet would be harder than in the video: youtube.com/watch?v=pzWw5U3eCok

The blades autorotate if it loses power.

You're fucked.
You're fucked if they even SLOW DOWN.
Helicopters are controlled by adjusting the tilt of the blades, not their speed.
They need to spin fast enough so that centrifugal forces keep the blades straight. If they slow down, the blades bend and the helicopter falls like a rock.

To clarify; last 20 feet being harder is only when the engine is completely dead, if you can restart/fix it on the way down you can land smoothly.

To clarify; 20ft is aroundish 6 metres in non-retarded units

OP here, it was nice knowing you guys ;_;

>What if a planes wings disappear, is there a back up generator or something or are you fucked?

That's pretty much what you posted

What the fuck would a backup generator do? Do you actually think there are electric motors on a helicopter

Flying machines use retard-units, because that's how it has always been. Fuck off with your logic and reasonable "System of Units" aka SI aka metric system.

Many modern planes come with parachutes that deploy if the wings fall off...

Thanks.

No they don't

Seriously that is a super rare feature that only exists in a couple small planes

Okay, so the "many" didn't belong there, but airplane parachutes still exist.

By what mechanism? Is it totally mechanical? I'm sure there is an electrical element involved. Just to clarify, the engine powers the propeller. If engine stops another mechanism takes over to power propeller. What is it exactly that does this?

pretty sure the A380 doesn't have that

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autorotation

Magnets.

nothing made by airbus or boeing will

You read this off the Internet, didn't you?

Is there ANYONE here who knows shit about engineering or aviation? Everyone here is a fucking pleb.

I'm OP. Don't play talented Mr Ripley with me.

The airflow from the helicopter dropping provides both the energy to keep the blade spinning, and the lift to keep the helicopter from free falling.

No, I learned it in flight school

Completely mechanical.

Of course not, those planes are designed to carry as many people as possible as cheaply as possible.

Yes, I do think there can be a battery attached to a motor of sorts. What are you some kind of fucking idiot?

>Sup Forumstards in charge of knowing the difference between lose and loose

Then no. It will fall out of the sky.

you can try to jump out.. but that might not work if the blade lops you in half

Easy

One is your wallet
One is your mom.

Source?

Well fuck you, I'm tired and English isn't even my mother tongue.

Look it the fuck up you lazy shit.

LMAO no they don't, I worked for Agusta for 5 years, only few amerilards requested non IS units

But seizing of the rotor is highly unlikely. I'm guessing this is a core part of preventive maintenance and testing.

Watch this: youtube.com/watch?v=BTqu9iMiPIU

>isn't even my mother tongue
Non-native English users are usually better than natives, especially with shit like lose/loose/affect/effect/fallow/follow(how do you fuck this up).

Another poster included a diagram of autorotation. It is completely wind driven. Quite cool. No magnets though.

You guys make helicopters with meters on the altimeter? I'm gonna have to see that documented with pictures to believe it.

Because I'm fucking tired, cunt.

>Because I'm fucking tired, cunt.
Yeah, I'm tired too. Tired of your bullshit.

Underrated.

You just broke rule #1, user.

You don't talk about flight club.

I identify as your image

>Retard alert

youtube.com/watch?v=pzWw5U3eCok

"In 1927, the meter was more precisely defined as the distance, at 0°, between the axes of the two central lines marked on the bar of platinum-iridium kept at the BIPM, and declared Prototype of the meter by the 1st CGPM, this bar being subject to standard atmospheric pressure and supported on two cylinders of at least one centimeter diameter, symmetrically placed in the same horizontal plane at a distance of 571 mm from each other."

How is this less arbitrary than a foot. Metric was a bunch of pseudoscientific wankery from the start.

Nice quads.

Here's a comprehensive and friendly explanation of how you go about making autorotation happen.
youtube.com/watch?v=BTqu9iMiPIU

If the engine dies you can still land it by autorotation

Please stop repeating the answer.

Pilot here.
The only airplanes that exist that have these are the three Cirrus aircraft models.
Cirrus airplane are extremely expensive ranging from 150K-400k$.
Uber expensive for a single prop aircraft with four seats, and you would only use the parachute if you're 100% fucked. If the engine dies you can glide to safety, If you pull the parachute...well you just glide down. (No guarantee where the you would land.)
If you look it up- people will pull it for ridiculously fucking stupid reasons. (Like forgetting luggage or forgetting to put fuel in the aircraft, typical rich people that shouldn't be flying.)
Pic related, if he hadn't freaked out and pulled it, this guy's plane would be fine.

Comanche lives on in ArmA3.

I'm pretty sure if the engine dies you'll be able to land a helicopter if you use autorotation.

>Cirrus airplane are extremely expensive ranging from 150K-400k$.
That's expensive? Sounds reasonable for an airplane.

thanks kind user.

then helicopter is kill

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I think you should be able to land by using autorotation.

Pretty much all out standardized measurements have some arbitrary way they have been standardized, because they started with a measurement and they decided they needed some way to accurately define it.

depends on the weather outside

my friend jerry who flies helicopters says you can land with autorotation.

>not basing your system on a universal constant capable of being used as both a unit of time and length

Cirrus' are very nice airplanes, it comes with a full leather interior, body made out of plastic, looks good, feels good, all touchscreen, great sound system ect ect....
But at the end of the day it still comes down to: It's a single engine plane that holds four people.
For 160k$ could buy a LearJet 24, I flew one from Mexico to Alaska in 4 hours. One stop. Holds 6 people.
Old jets are so cheap, the airplane market crashed alongside with the housing market and people could not afford their old fuel demanding jets, I've seen some 400k business jets for 14+ seats go up.
Pic is a LearJet24.

Well my dad who works at Sikorksky says only their helicopters can land that way.

>For 160k$ could buy a LearJet 24
Now that I didn't know. How used is that? Sounds like I need to buy a jet.

it crashes with no survivors.

damn bro

>universal constant
It would be great if we had one.

>what is Planck constant
>what is hydrogen spinflip

>What if a helicopters propeller stops spinning, is there a back up generator or something or are you fucked?

The pilot tells you to put on a propellor hat and flap your arms a lot

It usually keeps it in the air

This isn't true at all. You can get the aftermarket parachute for like 15k I think. Good for more than 3 planes

thats ridiculous everyone could just step out of the helly and start spinning around with their arms out

XD

Well the only problem now- the plane is banned in 2016 for, get this, "noise complaints"
So you need to get this things called a hush kit for around 200k$, but if you look around you can find a lear24 around the same price with them or ever a bigger Learjet that doesn't need them.
The biggest deterrent is the maintenance and fuel. Fucking 300Gal/firstHour. -but people forget about this: It's a hell of a lot cheaper than a 4 million$ 'modern jet'
They where built in 1966-1977, but even high time engines will give you plenty of time unless you fly every week.
I have a small story:
>be living in town
>small shit town, I hate it, but good pay
>Get call, time to fly the Lear24 again
>airport is on plateau, city is in valley
>5am
>takeoff
>take off and at end of runway go strait up
>(climb rate 10,100ft/min)
>the roar of a thousand thunderstorms
>shakes every single house in the town
>almost window shattering
>impossible to sleep through
>louder than F-16's at an airshow
>do this for a few days
>It's in the news paper and local television
>mayor of town gets involved
>he goes to airport to complain
>I still do it
>Can hear local chatter in town about plane
>everyone pissed off
>mission accomplished
This is why there is a noise ban now on older planes

Not for a 4seater single pistoned-engine

Just what the fuck is going on here?

THIS IS FUCKING Sup Forums

Share maki and discuss GPUs

Tip top kek

No never. I would highly doubt you could ever put on an aftermarket parachute. It would never ever be approved by the FAA. The Cirrus is basically built around the parachute, It has a rocket the explodes the chute out, the sides pop out with cables, and the handle that sits right onto of your head.

Awesome.
What engine does it have?
I'm assuming it isn't a turboprop since pt6(my only experience with jets)s aren't really too loud from my experience.

Also underrated.

>I'm assuming it isn't a turboprop since pt6(my only experience with jets)s aren't really too loud from my experience.
Oh is THAT what gave it away?

The meter is a fraction of the median that crosses Paris. The platinum-iridium bar is just a way of creating a standard defining meter.

It's powered by two 2,950 lbf thrust General Electric CJ610-8A turbojet engines.
Its one of the highest civilian jets you can fly at 45,000ft.
It's one of the best climbing, loudest, and fastest civilian jets you can buy.
It's basically a military jet that holds 6 people.

You idiot
>rotor stops spinning
>helicopter falls through the air
>air pushing against the blades makes them start spinning again
>helicopter flies off

This post made me smile aloud.

auto rotation
if the engine fails the helicopter would just float to the ground.

Just hold the 'J' key, user. Credits will just be deducted to repair and you will be good to go.

>Well the only problem now- the plane is banned in 2016 for, get this, "noise complaints"
thats gay as fuck
fucking government

Not a native speaker, I actually do notice something like that too.
I never make misspellings, except when I'm tired or underslept. Then all hell just breaks lose, and I only notice them when I reread through the post.

Plank constant is a mathematical formula.

Falls out of the sky like a rock.

T. Guy who seen them crash before

>Then all hell just breaks lose
*loose

You can safely land a helicopter without power.

Helicopter falls -> downward motion -> rotor spins -> rotor provides thrust -> downward motion cancelled

A skilled pilot can abuse this to provide a slow descent without any power whatsoever.

The one loopwhole is that 'experimental' aircraft don't apply to this, so any fighter jets are safe.
Pic is my Jet waifu. If only I had 25k$.

You sound like a fucking child.

Takes one to know one

It all depends in the type of failure.

If the rotor can still free spin then you can auto-rotate. If it can't then you're fucked.
You're also fucked if the tail rotor stops.

bitches don't know 'bout my autogyro

youtube.com/watch?v=9kxu543VwlA

You're not helping your case.

What's the likelihood of rotors seizing?

Auto rotation allows the helicopter to change pitch slightly so with the fall of the helicopter the pilot can glide to a landing zone. The blade are shaped like wings and the pilot locks yhe blades in place and tilts the chopper forward to keep them from moving, this creats slight lift and allows the pilot to land safely.