Ok Sup Forums

Ok Sup Forums
I've decided i want to learn a programming language, for fun.
I've looked over what each can do, and have narrowed it down to either Python or C++
So, for someone who is just going to do fun tests/build fun things, which one should i learn?

>which one should i learn?
shakespear, brainfuck, haskell, lisp or java.

If you just want to have fun, Python

If you want to learn what is probably the most comprehensive and confusing programming language, learn C++. It's closer to the hardware and very rewarding, but you won't see immediate results. You will learn how a computer works though

Python

Either way, get started now instead of worrying about what language to use

how long do you believe it will take me to be able to write my own basic stuff? 5-6 months?

Define "basic stuff". If you start now, you can probably write a basic program that takes user input, processes it, and outputs it by tomorrow.

depends entirely on how dedicated you are. when i started with C i programmed my first functional tetris clone after only 4 days.

depends how smart you are.
i was 12 and only had a commodore basic manual to help, took me a day or two but then my iq is thru the roof, so ymmv

you can write "basic" stuff in a day

Depends on how you define basic. The more you program the more you'll understand what constitutes "basic" and what is hard to implement. I still think you should do Python though. It's a very clean programming language because it abstracts (i.e. makes simple) lots of actually complicated things

Then you'll discover frameworks and APIs and forget how to actually program

Now I'm learning a real life language, Korean, would the study process be similar, or have it's own form for best results?

The two aren't similar at all.

learning programming is like learning math all over again but with weird exceptions very specific syntax and you have to use words most of the time (unlses ur a binary fgt)

Took me a few months while learning through work, but I could have been more diligent.

I know others who have learned it in a week.

Get the fundamentals down (use Learn Python the Hard Way) and then immediately get working on stuff, anything at all. Progress will be slow, then it'll all begin to click as you write more scripts

>use Learn Python the Hard Way

Please don't, anything but that """book""".

>Learning C/C++ will teach you how computers work
Real sick of this meme.

So, are there any dumps or pbins i can use as a "footstool" of sorts?

Sup OP. I want to learn to program just for a hobby myself. I am 32 with a family and a comfy well paying job in London so not looking for a career change.

I am currently stuck picking the "right" language. As it is just as a hobby it doesn't matter about employability. So far I have been told C, C++, Java and Python. No idea which to pick though. Any suggestions other anons?

Well they've told me if I am just going to do it as a hobby, that i should use Python.

space engineers lets you right whitelisted c# with an ingame compiler. theres no intellisense or step through debugger but its a fun environment with immediate solo projects to add functions to your ship.

once you get the feel of it you can dive into full c# modding for the game which uses steam workshop.

yeah but the problem I have with Python is all the GUI stuff is fucking horrible. I want to make a nice looking desktop program not a command line tool or an awful looking thing in Tk or whatever the fuck it is called.

I like the look of Java because JavaFX looks nice and C++ because Qt looks pretty good. Yeah I can use Qt with Python but it looks like a fucking mess with the sample code I have looked at.

python or ruby. just please for the love of king and country, do not go around telling everyone you are a coder, learned to code, or that you can program. not until you've designed your 1000th class, protocol, or algorithm.

c for microcontrollers, c++ for games, c# for enterprise, java for portability, javascript for website functions, brainfuck combined with sleep deprivation to find god

Ha nah I ain't gonna be a programmer anymore than I am an artist because I do some sketching and I am not totally awful at it.

This is just a hobby, I like to make things and I want to make a few programs for my own use is all. I have a maths background so maybe even have a little play with games as well.

Qt with Python is really easy. Or.. just use a web browser.