/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of March 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES

News:
>Galaxy Note 7 to come only with 5.8" curved screen, 6GB RAM
gsmarena.com/galaxy_note_7_to_come_only_with_58_curved_screen_6gb_ram-news-18968.php

>LeEco teases June 29 event, the world's first SD823 phone incoming with 8GB RAM and 25MP rear camera.
gsmarena.com/leeco_teases_june_29_event_is_the_worlds_first_sd821powered_phone_coming-news-18960.php

>Phonearena's OnePlus 3 Review
phonearena.com/reviews/OnePlus-3-Review_id4214

>New report states the Galaxy Note 7 will only come with a curved display
phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-7-to-be-offered-with-dual-curved-edge-screen-only_id82469

>Elephone P9000 Edge Details Revealed: 4/6 GB RAM, 32/128GB Storage, Dual Camera, 2K 5.7", Helio X25, starting at 250$
gizmochina.com/2016/06/13/elephone-p9000-edge-specs-revealed/

user has a warning

>OnePlus 3 vs Samsung Galaxy S7 Camera Test Comparison
youtube.com/watch?v=vQZaOUpIDjE

>ZUK Z2 Pro 4K Video Sample
youtube.com/watch?v=SLbWdS5iRCU

Previous

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/10411/the-oneplus-3-review/4
phonearena.com/reviews/OnePlus-3-Review_id4214/page/4
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-umi-super
kimovil.com/en/compare-smartphone-prices
youtube.com/watch?v=8FlopsCafng
youtube.com/watch?v=cAbpP7OMc2Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>yfw this years nexus will have msd slot

→ user has a warning

user is fucking stupid
why would you continue to buy their shit after the 2nd and 3rd failures. Its fucks like this that make the western market full of expensive, flimsy and half arsed phones

Is this the best phone on the marked?

lol no.
literally nexus' plan is to keep you using their cloud services. why change now.

What?

Exynos yes. Wouldn't buy this locked down shit though.

At the moment yes, by the end of the year probably, past then maybe not.

Its a cool phone though, depends if you need its features and have the money to entertain the luxuries. Hope no-one robs you too

Yes the Exynos S7 Edge is. But 4gb will be mediocre soon once phones with 6 and 8gb ram are in the market.

What is going to suddenly use up the 1-1.5GB free RAM everyone with a 4GB phone currently has?

Someone explain what's so great about this phone.
I used it in store demos on several occasions and it feels utterly ordinary to me. Still has shitty Galaxy 3 design with the huge bezels (except now the casing has a glossy finish and looks even worse).

Is this just a case of "this phone has the most advanced SoC right now"? since when is that the only thing that made smartphones good?

Yes it has the most powerful soc, as well as outstanding battery life, not forcing the 5.5"+ phablet meme, sd card slot, waterproof, premium look and feel, top quality DAC, easy root and bootloader unlock and by far the best quality screen of any phone.

Of course this applies only to the international version, the Americucked model isn't worth it.

Best SoC on the market
Best Camera on the market
Waterproof
SD
Great battery
Perfectly sized

It's better than all the other competitors.

would you guys say this phone might be better than whatever the next Nexus is? I've been playing the waiting game since January.
again, I hate the design with a passion but everything else is pretty impressive.

Depends what you value from a phone I guess. Nexus is guaranteed to have no sd slot and below average battery life.

Windows 10 mobile. What is the general consensus? I'm thinking of buying a Lumia 950 XL and then perhaps upgrade to the up and coming Surface phone.

I don't care about the "app gap" at all. I only use whatsapp and a few dictionaries and note apps which are available for Windows as far as I know.

If you don't care about apps or the fact that it's a dead platform with less marketshare than desktop linux, then the hardware itself is actually really good.

You bastard summoned all the samshills.

Anyone have this phone? If so, how do you like it?

Does the quality of GPS differ in chipsets these days or is it mainly of equal quality? If they do differ, what are the chipsets notorious for strong GPS?

see

I'm glad I asked because I always have questioned the quality of LG phones. I'm currently on an S5 and upgrading within the next couple of months.

Anyone here ever get their phone fixed from Cellairis?
I've got an S5 with a broken LCD and I want to get it fixed, but I don't know how much they'll charge me.

Not worth

It's shit. don't fall for it
this is coming from someone who was on windows phone since build 7004

>$800 dollars
>samshit

Funny that its missing a feature as important as voice unlock.

The fingerprint sensor is on the front like an iPhone instead of on the upper back which is far easier.

You will get updates half a year after everyone else and they typically refuse to release source code if they don't have to (GPL).

What was the last meme phone you fell for? For me it was the g4 meme
lg never again.

Palm Pixi Plus.

G4 here as well.
Going back to Samsung, desu. Stuck on Verizon though, so I need to deal with locked bootloaders and shit.

>tfw removable batteries never coming back
>SD cards are an uncertainty, they'll probably use the cloud meme as an excuse to finally kill them off

Excuse me tripfaggot, but front sensor is the best placement. How are you going to unlock your phone without picking it up from your desk if it's on the back?

By saying Ok Google.

Are you seriously telling me you don't have that shit disabled... and you actually talk to your phone???
Holy shit.

HTC 10

Better software
Better speakers
Better looking
MUCH more durable
USB C
No fingerprint magnet
Back and multitasking buttons are on the right side
Less Bloated
No touchjizz

G4
Considering a Moto X Pure but not sure if that's a meme either

You can't unlock your phone with one hand from your pocket lol.

>Not using Ok Google
You must be some kind of insecure faggot, Ok Google is a feature I won't go without.

>Using "Ok, Google"
>Not using the home button to bring up voice search.

Stay pleb.

great phone imo

switch from that to turbo 2, I miss it desu

>Needing to unlock your phone to use voice search.
Sure is 2013 in here.

Yeah I'm just wary of a 5.7" phone with Lenovo behind it, pretty ideal if not for that

Just get a OP3, will do everything that Samshit can but for hald the price and much more efficiently due to the 6gb of ram.

Is the HTC One M8 any good? Should I trade my Nexus 5 for it?

Fuck off Carl.

Where have you been for the last week or two

One release the OP3 has ram management issues, upon that there is a fix you can do in settings but why OP set them to handle the ram with a leash is yet to be known. The screen is also very lacklustre.

BUild quality and the rest of it is good but there are some heavy downsides and with better phones with similar speccs in the ZUK Z2 Pro and the ZTE Axon 7 released later this year.

>BUild quality and the rest of it is good but there are some heavy downsides
Like what?

Abysmal screen, no sd card support, terrible battery life, proprietary quick charge that wont work on custom roms and only works with their bundled charger.

>Implying I unlock my phone with a pin/password
Fingerprints bro

As you said, it's fixed now. It's not going to be perfect, it's a $400 phone. The screen is fine, have you actually used one? unless you're a autist it's completely fine for what 99% of the population will be using it for, Facebook and the occasional game.

ZTE Axon 7 hasn't been confirmed yet if you can unlock boot loader yet and the ZUK z2 Pro is nearly $600.

It's shit, m8.

>The screen is fine ... unless you're a autist
Stop this shit. Just fucking stop it.
The screen is not fine by any metric, it is bad. If you're okay with a bad screen, that's lovely but don't go acting like everyone who won't tolerate that in 2016 is somehow inferior to you.

>Abysmal screen
It's a typical 1080p amoled screen and literally the only complaint I've heard of it was from some android review site that pointed out it's pentile, which is supposed to be bad now.

>no sd card
To each his own. I've never seen the need in an sd card, then again I dont use my phone as a portable drive.

How is the battery life on the moto x pure?

California, US.

My wife is amazing, except she signed us up for Verizon last year and we've been paying 70 bucks each for our phones per month. It's brutal.

Anyone have advice on the cheapest network that still has unlimited talk/text? (She works for the feds and needs unlimited talk/text for work) data would be nice too, we get 2gb for 70 bucks each (she is not a deal hunter)

>the only complaint I've heard of it was from some android review site
anandtech.com/show/10411/the-oneplus-3-review/4
>I just feel unpleasant whenever I look at the OnePlus 3's display. I don't think it's a stretch to say it's the worst display I've examined during my time at AnandTech
>Put simply: this is one of the worst displays on a phone

Is that 2GB split, or 4 total?

Places like Straight Talk or Boost give you 5GB of data for $45 a month per line, and boost lets you grow 3GB to 5GB or 5GB to 8GB over time.

Different user. I've ordered the OP3, but I honestly feel that the €399 price level is so high when there already are used S7's for €100 more from people who renewed their contract and want the monies instead of the phone. That whole "half the price of a flagship" is pure autism. If it turns out to be shit, I'll return it and get my money back.

It's 4gb split. The main problem with it is she works from her phone and needs data so ee usually allocate 3 1/2 to her, I just use Google maps and such with my half.

I'll go check out boost mobile. I also heard something about Google having a phone service here in Cali

Still rockin my nexus 4 running PA curious to see what the next nexus device is going to bring to the table

I think the GoogleFi stuff is way overpriced. $20 + $10/GB, so getting the amount you have now would save you some money still, but you'd have to compare the benefits of the non-contract carriers vs. Google's.

What's the best google cardboard replacement, preferably one that can work with glasses on

>phonearena.com/reviews/OnePlus-3-Review_id4214/page/4

Dat battery life

>It does fall short in two key areas: display quality is definitely sub-par, as this is one of the worse displays we’ve seen on a major phone launched in the last year or two. Battery life is also disappointing.

>too fed up with my Nexus 4 which i bought on release
>someone i know is selling an iPhone 6
>get it because i've never owned an apple phone
>everything works great and smoothly
>but the battery life sucks ass, even more than on Nexus 4
Am i doing something wrong? I know this phone has a smaller battery than N4 but it's supposed to be more efficient, isn't it?
I turned off all the tracking and geolocating shit and other battery hogs but it still is far from satisfactory.

so the screen on my Z3 is literally peeling off. through my coverage i have the option to get a replacement for $175. should i do it or look for something else? mainly peeved i'll never get 6.0 on it cause t-mobile is being cocks about it.

I was looking at the Xiaomis but read they dont do LTE in the US

Same. Fuck LG. My G4 suddenly died for no reason and they won't fix it for free because it's out of warranty even though it's hardware defect.

There is a reason why all normies walk around with chargers only the + models have good battery life.

Also fellow n4 user here what were you fed up with senpai?

I wish other brands had a compact variant of their flagship phones. With z5 compact dropping in price I might get it to replace my z2

My phone has barely any internal memory and a lot of my apps can't be moved to the SD card. With Android 6.0, supposedly you can format the SD card to be your internal memory. However, there's no official update for this phone yet. Do those custom ROMs require your phone to be rooted?

Alternatively, I'm willing to root my phone and use that folder mount app, but not too familiar with it. Don't give a shit about the phone warranty being void, just don't want to brick it or get disconnected from my carrier.

Yeah same here. This is an LG Optimus L9 and T-Mobile refuses to update it any more.

I love t-mobile and the wifi calling, but the Z3 has had 6.0 for awhile, but they just dropped them for no reason.

The N4 was starting to fail i think. Battery life was abyssmal - and it also couldn't stay connected to cell towers if the battery was below 25%

Aside from that, the amount of heat it generated and the fact i already broke it twice along the way (replaced both front and back)
The camera quality, let's not pretend that it was ever good

It was a good phone, but i decided to move on

Not sure if i'll stay with that iPhone, i might get one of those battery cases and if that doesn't work i'll just get something different, but i like how smooth the OS is

My OPO has served me well, but I'm after an upgrade.

The one thing that's always let the OPO down imo is the camera. Wanting something with great battery life, good camera, and about to unlock boot loader.

Was thinking the Redmi Note 3 Pro but the camera is just too shit. Should I wait for new Nexus maybe? Ideas?

Budget is about $650 AUD

Going to buy OP3 but its says it will be delivered by july 6. I'm in the UK. Will it really be that long?

Is the UMI Super Sup Forums approved or literal chinkshit?

kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-umi-super

About to buy a 64gb iPhone SE. Talk me out of it.

Want a phone I can hold securely in one hand. Something I can use while jogging, that I can whip out of my pocket for a second, do something, and put it immediately back. Don't play games or whatever stupid shit people do to justify these giant phones.

Is there anything on the Android side that's a quality smaller phone (4-4.5"), and with enough of a price advantage to be worthwhile?

I heard iphone's have better stand by time but not so good screen on time. As for me I'll keep the n4 at least until the new nexus is released then I'll see

If you buy an Android device buy a Nexus device. 5" Nexus 5X is a good smartphone.

Way too big.

iPhone gaming is p good.
Nexus 5x (i own one) isn't.
It's cheaper and it can do more for you as long as you're not a social media fiend.

pls respond

>have the option to get a replacement for $175
No, it's shit. get a chinkshit.

kimovil.com/en/compare-smartphone-prices

X820 or X620.

>5"
>too big
End yourself, worthless manlet

M A N L E T
D E T E C T E D

Even my 5'1" imaginary girlfriend can handle that phone you cuck

Unless you have NBA-size hands, you're still 'balancing' a 5" phone as opposed to HOLDING it which I think is critical for something you're meant to use on the move.

well now that OP3 is confirmed shit, is V10 worth it? It's the same price in my country as OP3. Or should I buy something with s820?

nigga r u serious

Should I get the Moto G3 or the LG G4 Stylus?

change in top right and check Hide devices without price then apply price/size/performance filters

how is it shit if it holds a 10/10 rating on the site you linked
Yea figured it out.

You're either a helpless infant or the smallest man alive, probably a faggot, too.

and xiaomi doesn't support LTE on us carriers from everything I've read.

Well if you like it so much then get the replacement? why the fuck is the screen peeling off anyway?

the htc google nexus one had msd and they'll probably make the new nexus based on the htc 10 which has msd.

No fucking idea, supposedly a defect that occurred in some of them. It's not even from a drop or anything. And again, Xiaomis don't get LTE in most of the US.

Go for the v10 and get a extended battery

Please, someone

I want to buy a Nexus 5x but I have read some complaints about the battery life, is it true that the battery is not very good? I dont play games on my phone so I dont care if the battery suffers doing that

>Xiaomis don't get LTE in most of the US.
Yeah I know, why are you repeating yourself? lel. the 2 devices I mentioned are Leeco not Xiaomi and they are compatible with AT&T/T-Mobile.

youtube.com/watch?v=8FlopsCafng

youtube.com/watch?v=cAbpP7OMc2Y

Looking to get the Moto X Pure, leddit complained that it's LCD instead of LED and it's fuckhuge. My Moto G 1 feels pretty small, I'm not worried about the screen. Is the LCD thing really an issue?

nigger those phones are like $400+
If I had that much to replace my phone I'd probably just go with the Xperia X

No, it is not going to have micro sd. Google will not allow it.

topkek, im an eejit.
looks interesting, thanks user.