Redpill me on a 2013 Chromebook Pixel

Redpill me on a 2013 Chromebook Pixel

I'd get it used, bought off ebay for a lot less than retail, probably like $400

I wouldn't bother with chromeOS, I'd throw Arch on it as soon as it showed up.

I want something light, my curent laptop is an X200 and it's heavy as shit

I want something with a good screen resolution and aspect ratio. The screen i'm typing on can barely show white, it's just all yellow, but at least it's 16:10. I'd be okay with 16:9 as long as it isn't 1366x768.

I want a non-ass keyboard. This keyboard is godlike in the way it feels to type on, it's why I've kept with this laptop as long as I have.

Is there

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B01B9APNG0
ldlc.com/fiche/PB00184872.html.
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is there a better laptop for this use case?

> mfw

The cruft on the search key? Yeah used ain't ideal but any new laptop would go way beyond $500

the fact that there's a fucking search key on the keyboard

Also that there's no fn key or super key.

Winbabies triggered.

>my curent laptop is an X200 and it's heavy as shit
How noodle armed can you be? The X200 isn't even 4 pounds with a 9 cell.

just bind it to caps lock in xmodmap.
the fact that there is no mod4 key at all is more problematic.

It's just paint... they key works fine...

Key mapping is something you do when you set up the linux install. As I understand it you just specify a combination like ctrl+alt as your super combo

4 lbs is pretty heavy for a laptop. It doesn't matter how strong you are it's still going to feel better to carry around a lighter machine

You can change what it does in chromeos's settings
Same for the top row of function keys

What?

Dude, the Pixel is .3 pounds lighter than a X200.

>Arch
A truly gimped OS for a truly gimped laptop. The perfect combination for a NEET

Yeah I mean that's true. I guess I just kind of assumed it was lighter cause it was thinner.

Oh well. It's a least a little lighter.

Anything constructive to add?

>Anything constructive to add?
At least don't throw arch on there

If you think any sort of Linux Distro is "gimped" I can't imagine your frame of reference is worth anything, you'll just suggest a mac or something.

Is there a similar laptop I could get for

Also I assume you're just regurgitating memes but in case not I would be using this machine for work the way I use my current laptop. It's why I don't care about performance, I'm fine programming on this core 2 duo so I know anything at all will be a step up.

>you'll just suggest a mac or something
For you, yes.

>Arch
>Work

Why do you do this? Go on to the internet and lie?

Rekt

:/ figures.

I don't give a shit about apple, their keyboards are terrible to type on, their layout is even worse than a chromebook, and to get any sort of a useful resolution you have to shell out a ton.

But I'll bite, suggest a $500 mac without 1366x768.

Again, I guess you're just spitting out random memes? Arch works like any other Linux Distro for day to day use... I use a laptop running Arch linux to work on servers that run Debian and Ubuntu with other people who use windows OSX and Linux laptops and desktops.

But is there actually anything I could post that would prove to you that I use this laptop to work?

>no meta key

What sort of laptop should i get then?

The distro you'll put on your computer is totally out of the scope of this thread anyway.

I like thinkpads, but you'll need to search a little to get a good screen. Otherwise Chromebooks are fine as long as you don't mind having 64GB of cold storage.

vivobook

I'm okay with low storage, I'm on 128 GB now so switching to a lower amount isn't great but my roomates and I run a 6TB mediaserver I keep all my shit on so I'll adapt.

I'd love to stick with thinkpads but I'm really gunshy about going above 12 inches in size, and I haven't seen anything in the X series until the x240 with a non 1366x768 panel.

Do offline docs work in chromeos? is there an equivalent to the desktop application version of drive in windows that syncs files on your hard drive? I like to have my notes saved as .txt files so I can edit them in dedicated editing programs.

why you ignore me here, faggot:
amazon.com/dp/B01B9APNG0

I'm sure you have 15,6" thinkpad chassis, but you'll need to replace the screen by yourself. If there is a way to do so, you can probably acknowledge it in a local free software-dedicated shop.

I was typing man chill.

It seems nice, how does the keyboard feel to type on? I'm not crazy about the overall look. The screen resolution is really nice though.

15 inches is kinda too big. I'd rather not get something that big.

Well I'm typing on a 14" chassis, you probably have 13" chassis as well

Oh on the x200? Yeah probably

>Actually buying anything Google-related in the year 2016

I bet you use Android, too, don't you? Holy shit, the autism levels.

Hidden

>autism
>majority of world market share

>$400
>used

why don't you get a new chromebook for less than $200 OP?

Did you actually read the OP? This is the Pixel, i5 or i7, 2,560 x 1,700 resolution

You forgot the 32 GB of storage!

I'd probably buy a 64 GB model.

And as I said in other replies there's a 6TB media server at the house I live in.

>Not getting a Mac

Confirmed for not being employed in based Silicon Valley.

What mac am I supposed to get for $400 - $500?

especially one without a shit screen

You can't get a decent Mac for that less. It makes sense because you probably aren't employed or else a $2000 laptop is basically a week's pay.

I'm employed but not full time and I'm a student, and I'm not a fan of spending a ton of money on things I don't need. Chill out.

Also it's "you can't get a decent Mac for that little" but thanks for not even trying to read the OP

Just couldn't help calling you out for being the faggot that you are for not getting a Mac, that's all.

Yes I'm definitely a faggot for NOT getting a Mac, after the people shitting up this thread are all Mac fan boys...

I don't really know what to say, I don't want to shill for my favorite computers line (Thinkpads) and it's true that you can't afford Macs at this price. Count at least $700-$900 for that.

I also didn't read you wanted something light, however I don't consider my T420 as something really heavy (I had a much heavier hp).

After a quick search on LDLC, a French website (LDLC stands for Laurent De La Clergerie) with powerful filters, I found that: ldlc.com/fiche/PB00184872.html. Maybe you could get a second-hand laptop like this one for $400-$500.

If you are a poorfag get a used thinkpad. If you are not then get a new business laptop or a mbp when it comes out.

Only poorfags boast from having a MacBook and only poorfags are jealous of people who have a MacBook, but I'd better be a poor student than a rich dude managing Windows developers.

the battery life is atrocious and it overheats frequently, luckily these issues are corrected in the 2015 model

I use the c720 and connect it to an external monitor whenever i need to work more than a couple of hours and it does great. If you're getting a chromebook, either wait until you can manage the 2015 Pixel or get a c720, they're both brilliant for their pricetag.

Forgot to add that the newest dell chromebook is also really good, check it out. It's half the price of a Pixel and I'd pick it over one.

Just got mines for $393

Forgot to add new, not used, not refurbished

I have a 1366 panel and I'll be damned if I ever fall for that meme again. It's really terrible.

Alt IS the meta key.
You're talking about the super key.

stfu

Where'd you get it?

Bump

Bump

The main problem is battery life and storage, if you want a pixel get the 2015 model.