User's first build

Ok Sup Forumsuys so, after falling for the osx hipster meme, I've decided it is finally time I build my own desktop pc; I need it to be mITX as I'll take it with me on the plane in-between terms and the main uses are going to be matlab and solidworks as well as some casual gaming (rl, witcher 3, dark souls 3, ..) on a 1440p monitor. I'm not interested in 144hz, I would just like to play the games on high/ultra without frame drops.

build: pcpartpicker.com/list/xNkccc

1) Is this a good build or have I picked incompatible components?

2) Inb4 'get a 480' meme: I'm happy to pay a little bit more and have something that will last me a couple years and give no problems.. I'm just unsure if I should get a 980ti (they run about £400) and upgrade in ~2yrs or get a 1070 and hope it will last a bit more (?)

3) I selected an i7 instead of i5 because if i am not mistaken solidworks should support hyper threading

4) I plan on dual booting linux as my main OS and win10 (free through the uni..) for gaymes and solidworks and have both OSes on the m2 SSD: is this a good idea? What would be the best way to go about it? Installing first win10 and creating a partition or first linux? Does it make a difference? Right now I'm using Linux Mint but I plan on trying my hands at installing Arch..

Other urls found in this thread:

capinc.com/2015/05/21/hyper-threading-and-solidworks
pcpartpicker.com/b/dFQV3C)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

DO NOT SEXUALIZE THE HAMSTER

That's not hamster, that's Umaruun in her hood.

She's okay to sexualize

>Sup Forums is NOT your personal tech support team or personal consumer review site.

I'm sure you have made sure both the GPU and the PSU will both fit in that case. I would recommend that you install w10 on the m.2 and Linux on the other drive. You can boot from bios without the hassle of having dueling bootloader's/ OS's on the same drive. Just create a smallish 100gb partition or whatever on the 1tb ssd.

I'm just asking for advice, no one's forced to reply if they don't want to.. but if instead you wanna waste time not contributing to the thread in any way go right ahead

>3) I selected an i7 instead of i5 because if i am not mistaken solidworks should support hyper threading
While it does, you actually will get better performance the majority of time with hyperthreading turned off, or with an i5 since it doesnt have hyper threading.

I'd recommend reading the following
capinc.com/2015/05/21/hyper-threading-and-solidworks

>I would recommend that you install w10

lolno

The board has two rules. Read them and fuck off back to Sup Forums if you're too much of a dipshit to build a computer without community assistance.

The psu fits for sure and I think the 1070 should as well because I know the core 500 can fit a 970.. Could I not use something like rEFInd to solve the boot issues tho?

He apparently wants it. He also needs to realize he is killing his chances for a high speed m.2x4 if he gets that standard x2 m.2 drive. He should just get a 2.5 ssd if he's only getting a regular m.2

Also: meme aio cooler

I will, thanks

It will work just fine with 2 os's on the same drive. Until it doesn't. If you have two drives, it *will* be easier and less troublesome in the long run to have them separated. They just won't have the chance to fuck with each other at all.

Which m2.4 ssd would you recommend? I couldn't find any on part picker

What's wrong with the cooler? Geuine question

Gotcha

>no nipples

The only really special thing about m.2 is the small size , and the newish x4 pcie lane bandwidth drives. Regular m.2 have 2 pcie lanes, just like your ssd. M.2x4 is much much faster. At more than twice the cost. Maybe in the future they will become more cost effective, but if you have a x2 drive you loose the ability to have a faster drive in the future. Samsung 950 is the only one on the market at the present time.

I see. I don't really need all that extra speed, I was mainly considering the m2 drive as it would save me some space as the case is already gonna be a bit cramped but I might just get a regular ssd if there aren't any real advantages

That case is too big for planes, get a Fractal Node 202 or SilverStone ML08.

All in one loop water coolers are sometimes much louder, and don't cool better than air. You also have a pump that may go out in a few years, and does make noise. It's up to you, the cooler is OK I guess, being a itx build and all.

You can fit 3 HDDs and 3 ssds simultaneously, apparently, in that case. Very nice for itx.

Wow didn't realise you could use cases that small for gaming/heavy tasks builds.. would a build like this one I found (pcpartpicker.com/b/dFQV3C) work for me? thanks for all the help

You would have to use a sfx power supply, and special HDD like the one in the build, not a regular 3.5 HDD. Also you would have a small CPU cooler. I have that same board with a nhl-12 noctua cooler in a Silverstone sg08 lite case, It does fine with cooling in my situation. I would read some reviews about cooling before I would buy that case and stick a 980ti in it. What's exciting about the 480 is its Less than 150 watts and supposedly as good as a 980 for $200ish. With a itx build you have to worry just a little bit more about heat.

why good goy edition

>after falling for meme i went to a memesite and made a meme build that will cost me more money and i will like it is just a meme and wont be satisfied while looking at memes

Isn't she like 16?

I thought she was like 13 or 14. First year of high school.

>calls 480 a meme
>interested in buying a 980ti

>She's okay to sexualize

You do realize amd cards render better then nvidia cards right?