So I just moved into a house where I share an internet connection with a few people...

So I just moved into a house where I share an internet connection with a few people. One of them is the owner of said internet and we pay him to use the internet either through wifi or a cable connected directly to the modem.

When I first connected my pc to the modem using wifi the connection was quite shit. When playing youtube videos I can see the buffering bar load, then do nothing for moment, only to jump ahead in a massive chunk, and then do nothing again. Often this results in the video having to stop to buffer.
With a wired connection the problem is the same, but because the internet is a bit faster that way, the pattern repeats faster. I asked the guy if he was throttling the internet between users, and he said no, but paranoid as I am, I want to check. How do I check?

tl;dr
Sharing an internet connection and it's shit. How do I check if the guy renting it out to me is throttling the connection?

just get your own internet account with some provider, and get your own bandwidth.

Passworded.

Not possible. It's only 1 internet connection per address.

Brute force w/ sentryMBA

check the speeds on speedtest dot net

confront him about it

ping 30
download 12Kbps
upload 0.68Kbps

wtf is that upload?

There's no way this isn't a bait thread.

But just in case, OP you're being fucked over a bramble bush. Wait until he's out of the house and either hard reset the router, break it and be there to set up (or watch him set up) the replacement, or move out.

>moving out due to internet

Oh no that would be silly. I'm saying he should move out because at least one of his housemates is a massive pulsating cunt. Potentially.

It's equally possible OP just lives in a shithole with shit internet or is being paranoid or, like I said, this is just b8 m8

if this is real, here's what you do. Tell him Thank you but you're just going to use your phone, if he makes you a different offer its because he's fucking with the connection, which means you can't trust him anyway, and get yourself a hotspot connection. Even with data caps, its under your control.

I did this in my house. Subscribed 10mbps, I use 7mbps alone, then share the rest + all the monthly bill to 10 other people. Profit.

On a scale of #FFFFFF to #000000, how black are you?

Pantone 67-5 C

Promise this is not bait. I remember ISPs used to do this 10 years ago. Giving an impression of fast internet but it was still shit due to a shitty upload.

I think I'll just say to him that the upload is bad and that we need to call the ISP to ask what they're doing. If he lets me call then it's probably fine.

you don't think a download of 12K is bad?
That's worse than 1992 tier

100% bait

Might be the problem: 1 or more person Torrent 24/7 or Dsl connection or Both

Man I think it's horrible. It's just that I didn't have to worry about that stuff for 10 years because I had a connection that came with the rent.

I don't think anyone's torrenting. The speed seems constant, but shit. Thanks to you guys i'm sure that this is not okay, and that either the guy, or the ISP needs to change some shit, even if it is only a 20Mbps connection according to rental guy.

Here's the kicker though, he's a massive applefag. Proof that once again apple users are immense fucking douchebags. Also, when I asked him if he was throttling the connection before I saw his response, which I now know is his lying response. It'll come in useful.