/sqt/ - stupid questions thread

Post your questions here.
Don't start threads to ask them.

Other urls found in this thread:

outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
ebay.com/itm/LOGITECH-GAME-CONSOLE-ADAPTER-FOR-5-1-SPEAKER-SYSTEMS/281952027417?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20140602152332&meid=32387bec72a94fa8a01925c7b8106933&pid=100011&rk=1&rkt=10&sd=261014433500
ebay.com/itm/Digital-Optical-Coaxial-Toslink-Signal-to-Analog-Audio-Converter-Adapter-RCA-L-R-/371095157264?hash=item5666feba10:g:2uQAAOSw5dNWsEXz
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lvm#Growing_or_shrinking_with_lvresize
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Summary of situation. Hacker had a Trojan into my Windows laptop. Writing random shits all over the place. Mouse clicking on its own. Ran antiviruses. A Trojan found in a webcam program. Removed. Same shits still happening. Ran antiviruses. Nothing found. Ran Avast boot scan. Nothing found. Ran Malwarebytes in safe mode. Nothing found. Reset laptop using recovery solution (Samsung). Infected again. Suspected router compromisation. Reset router and laptop. Infected again.

Now I am waiting for an ISP guy to install new internet connection with a Ubuntu bootable USB in one hand and a pen to reset router in the other.

He installs internet. I reset router. Don't connect it to internet just yet. Clean-install Ubuntu on my laptop and erase all (cursed) disk space. Then connect router to the Internet. Connect laptop to Wi-Fi. Configure Wi-Fi on laptop to enhance security.

Will this save me?

I am fearing the worst case. Do you think I need to suspect BIOS infection? If that is the case what i am going to do today will be all in vain right?

Send help.

post more kittens, op! :)

Trying to piece together a cheap 600$ pc build, pls criticize and point out flaws

WD 1TB cheapo harddrive
Asus M5A97 AMD Mobo
EVGA GTX 960 2GB
Seasonic M12II 620W psu
8 GB DDR3 RAM
Intel i3-6100 3M 3.7 GHZ, dual core

Hi Sup Forums, I bought a new video card to install into an old system, prior to installing I did a fresh install of win 7.
Then I plugged the new card in, and now win crashes when it gets to the windows loading screen.
I've tried reinstalling windows as some forums online suggested, but the motherboard won't read any usb or external dvd drive as number one in boot priority and keeps trying to boot from the harddrive which leads to the same problem.
The only thing that trumps the HDD boot priority is the CD Drive, which I've used to successfully boot Ubuntu.
So what do?
Are the old drivers from the previous gpu getting in the way, where can I find them and uninstall them?
Could it be something else? Pls help.

Could be an infected USB that keeps re-infecting you.

Take out the wireless keyboard/mouse adaptor. It was just me, your brother, having some fun at your expense.

you need to contact the hacker by speaking into the webcam. ask them to kindly remove the infection or you will go to the FBI.

use case? :^)

960 is a waste of money with the new cards right on the horizon.
You don't really need a 620w PSU for that setup, the i3-6100 is 51 watts for fucks sake.
>Not falling for the 16 GB RAM meme
Get 12 at least, noob. Also, get an SSD so you can install your OS on it.

What does the LED on my motherboard briefly flashing orange when I turn it on mean? It will not post, at least not yet. I've double checked all the cables/connections, installed it on motherboard standoffs, tried literally everything. It's a Gigabyte Z170N-WIFI and the LED that briefly flashes orange is by the IO ports behind the USB (I'm pretty sure it's the only LED it has).

I saw a forum post when googling that said it was a power issue, but I couldn't find anything official anywhere.

try to install Ubuntu. it sound dumb, but if both windows and Linux are unable to install, there is a problem with your video card bios.
source: had the same problem with my evga 760.

Alright, so weaker psu.
Will 3 4GB ram cards take a mcshit on my stuff, and which gtx is a good sub for 960

can i disinfect it by hard-formatting it then?

do you think what i will do today will get this bastard out of my system finally?

no fbi. am in japan

Try a different PSU, still same issue? RMA it.

You didn't even tell us the manufacturer.

You might need to clean install Windows by wiping all partitions and starting over from scratch. Make sure you have drivers ready.

But I included my motherboard model. My PSU is an EVGA one if that matters.

The only reason why I can't install windows is because I can't get the motherboard to give boot priority to a USB or an external DVD drive, its only picking up on the CD Drive.
(The motherboard is very old)
Windows is already installed, I was just trying to do a fresh reinstall with the new video card connected.

Does anyone else use the phrase "by the each" to annoy your boyfriend?

Is there a way to make 7z read from a file of passwords, and attempt to extract it going down the list of passwords provided?

Having to do over 100 a day is tiring

I have a HUGE db I want to search though a lot, is there any free host that will allow me to do so?
Searching it on my local machine isn't cutting it...

i said i am clean installing ubuntu in my original post

i just want to know if i have to suspect BIOS infection because i know then reinstalling OS won't solve the problem

I'd recommend sanitizing it by unscrewing the drive and wiping down each disk. That gets the bugs out.
Just make sure to move the little arm out of the way or it will get in the way when removing the disks!
If that fails, contact the drive maker and file a warranty claim. Make sure to put the disks back in in the same order you removed them or all your data will be out of order!

Best way to get surround sound working?

Motherboard outputs: 6 3.5mm jacks. One S/PDIF out. Running RealTek software.

Receiver: Mitsubishi M-VR600 Dolby Pro Logic. Inputs are only 2 red/white RCA

3x4 GB RAM sticks should be fine.
Get an RX 470 or 480
Use this to choose a proper power supply wattage outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

Best photo viewer for windows?

BIOS infection is extremely rare due to the huge number of BIOS out there. It's unlikely you're going to be targeted from BIOS infection unless you're on some govt's very naughty list.

I remember seeing a Linux distribution that can boot from CD or floppy then hand over control to USB/DVD. I'll try to find it.

FSViewer
IrfanView

How much "abuse" can a mobo take before it's damaged/dies in a week or so? Amount of mobo flex before it's totally fucked? Should I expect instant death or reduced lifespan/issues a few years from now?

Thank you, but before you go to all the trouble, do you have any idea if a reinstall of windows would help my original problem with the crashing?
I'm just here assuming that the problem is due to the drivers from the previous card.

i do have someone (who is good at tech stuff) who would do this to me.
is there any possibility that he wrote a BIOS virus just to attack me?

Found it. Try Plop Boot Manager. Very useful on old PCs, esp. old servers with only CD boot in BIOS.

yes
contact the local police and have them investigate him just to make sure. remain anonymous, ofc, in case of retaliation hacking.

There are adapters for RCA -> 3.5mm. I have one in my closet somewhere and have used it before.

Thank you!

It can't help to try and save on RMA shipping costs. Plus, Windows always benefits from a reinstall.

Yeah you can get them off Amazon and eBay for like $4-5

they wont do jack shit
i really just want to get free from this parasite. because i already fucked him over something important. if i could just disappear and he cant find or control me anymore, that will be the best solution and revenge.

tldr; i wont cotact authorities cause they wont do jack shit. i just want to know what i can do to get rid of this loser

what i am going to do today
1. Change ISP
2. Reset my router
3. Clean-install Ubuntu on my laptop.

i really have no idea what i could do if in fact it really is BIOS infection

Reflash your BIOS with a known good version.

are ferrite blocks absolutely necessary?

is there a way to get midi files to play in chrome instead of having to download them?

Only if you're doing analogue, and only if the signal quality is high quality/resolution enough.

Pretty sure it's a stupid question

I'm switching from Win10 to linux, for obvious reasons. I'm asking the age-old question of what distro to use. I've tried Xubuntu on my laptop and was thinking of using Kubuntu. But I've also heard there was some type of backdoor with amazon or something with ubuntu distros. I'm pretty new to linux, only fucked with it for giggles, and I would prefer something that can at least moderately support gaming. So what do you guys recommend?

There was some Amazon stuff enabled by default only in the Unity interface. Xubuntu and Kubuntu were unaffected. It seems to be off by default now. fixubuntu.com can tell you how to verify its off.

Problem is a single 3.5mm jack won't do surround sound.

I think you need something weird like:
ebay.com/itm/LOGITECH-GAME-CONSOLE-ADAPTER-FOR-5-1-SPEAKER-SYSTEMS/281952027417?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20140602152332&meid=32387bec72a94fa8a01925c7b8106933&pid=100011&rk=1&rkt=10&sd=261014433500
or
ebay.com/itm/Digital-Optical-Coaxial-Toslink-Signal-to-Analog-Audio-Converter-Adapter-RCA-L-R-/371095157264?hash=item5666feba10:g:2uQAAOSw5dNWsEXz

Let me spare you all the FUD and fedora tipping that comes up whenever Ubuntu is brought up.
Canonical finally backed down and removed the Amazon search scope.
Was this a bad move to begin with? Yes.
Have they made things right? Basically.
Are other Ubuntu based distributions affected? Nope, they never were.
Was this as bad as it's made out to be? No, it was always easily removable, and search data was anonymized. It was blown out of proportion mainly due to some poor word choices on Canonical's part and the Linux community always being more suspicious than, say, Windows users.

How can I tell if a tv will accept a 120hz external signal? Only thing I could find was a 3 year old article where you spoof your tv as a monitor to force the signal. Is the only way to test it myself?

Is the Intel ac 8260 fully supported by Linux? Like, if I install Ubuntu it'll just work without having to download anything?

Is it a CRT? Then yes.
Otherwise, you'll have to do frame timing tests.

Since your receiver does not support surround you would need a new receiver.

Give it a try. It's free.

So if I

1. Change ISP.
2. Reset router.
3. Reflash BIOS of laptop.
4. Clean-install Ubuntu on laptop.

Will this make me free?

Can the router's BIOS also be infected? How do I get rid of that then? Will just installing new firmware suffice?

I'm actually , I can't try it until I get my motherboard back from Gigabyte.

Thank you kindly for the responses.
Would you then recommend an ubuntu distro or would there be another you would recommend?

Ubuntu is a pretty good tool. Just don't expect it to be a video game.

If you can desolder the BIOS chips, you can usually pick a set of prongs/pins, put a bridge between them with solder, resolder it, and it'll reflash every power cycle to prevent infection.

Not a crt was just thinking of upgrading to a larger tv. Ok followup question so in the situation where it frame skips would I still get 3:2 pulldown? In that case isn't getting a 60hz panel tv cheaper.

Daz's loader installs chinese malware, does anyone have a windows loader that works?

What certs should I start off with to have a broad spectrum of available jobs in the industry?

what is the proper workflow for replacing a video card?

e.g,

uninstall old driver package plus ccc/ncp
shut down, replace card
reboot
install new driver

or something else?

how do i change volume in MPV

I need a HDD Sup Forums. Why are they so fucking expensive? Literally the same fucking price they were 2 or 3 years ago. Should I just wait until they come down in price?

What am I supposed to do with old GPUs?

yeah hdd tech is not progressing and the market is stagnant. it's shit. I guess it depends on how bad you need one.
put together pcs from old builds to use for htpc, toaster-tier games in another room with a CRT, emulator box, etc. or just sell it to some idiot on ebay. I find it's worth waiting until you have enough parts to build a second computer.

'9' and '0'
You can change them in input.conf if you want it otherwise

Prices have been fucked ever since that flood that completely destroyed the HDD market like 4 years ago. Just buy a cheap HDD and a good external for other storage like music and videos etc, externals are cheaper than actual HDDs here with same speeds but twice the storage(!)

You'll likely never run out of room if you have 4tb of space

Restarted my computer only to reboot into the ethernet not working while wireless does.

Scanned for malware and none came back, looking to see if it's my driver or something.

Worked five minutes ago, then bam restart and this.

Please send help, thank you.

Whats a good monitor to use for a side vertical monitor to my main 1440p monitor?

>never run out of room
>looks at data drive
>174GB of 18TB free
>never out of room

You would need to program it yourself.

I flashed CM13 on my note 2 from it's stock ROM and it's now getting much worse battery life compared to how it was, on touchwiz, i'd get about 6hr SOT, now I'm barely breaking 4 and it's running warmer too.
What gives? Anything I can do to remedy this?

How do you escape the aqemu vm window?

Mouse and keyboud input locks in to the window,and i havent found a keybind to escape

Is there any "computer cleaner" to get rid of useless files that actually works and is free?

The fuck are you even doing to use the much? 4k video editing and never deleting the files?

What are some good free harddrive defraggers available for Windows?

a friend of mine notices that i have tree style tabs, and just told me that they've been thinking for months about switching over to firefox, with the final straw being once they realized they could have all of their bookmarks and everything from chrome go to firefox, and also have it be on their phone, which official version of firefox is best for a normal user that doesn't know too much about technology, i don't want them to be scared off by if there's any bloat or anything, i wouldn't know because I use Pale Moon and synchronizing things doesn't matter to me.

thank

Use firefox-aurora
It has needed features, but provides the normal firefox environment

It even has one built in.

as long as the traces are still in place you should be okay.
Should be okay. Maybe clone the HDD just for safety purposes?
I would say Install Gentoo, but yeah it's probably a driver issue. Is the device being recognized? There isn't a lot of info here.
Unoptimizations, or apps/service running in background that CM introduced? Or maybe Touchwiz does some backgrounding/power management magic. Maybe try some other ROMs?
CCleaner
Defraggler

Here's my question: Helping a friend with a Macbook. Need to use a 3.5 HDD. Can I power it with my own PSU and run a SATA data extender to the Macbook Pro? The issue seems to be the laptop can't power the drive. Make sense?

>Can I power it with my own PSU and run a SATA data extender to the Macbook Pro?

Only if your hardware is Apple too. It needs an "iPower Energy Source" and an "Apple SATA" cable, which basically is the same thing but the connector has a different shape.

The program worked and the fresh install of Windows fixed everything. Thank you my friend.

Isn't the best way to copy files somewhere else, reformat and copy tham back?

Are PCIe wifi adapters better than USB ones? Or are there pretty much no differences?

Yes, USB has more latency and worse signal strength generally.

What about USB vs the built in wifi on a mini ITX motherboard?

I can't tell if you're joking or not, could you go into a little more detail?

>third party storage DOES work with Macbooks
>currently there is a 2.5 500GB HD inside
>I can connect the Macbook HD to my own PC

So everything seems to work out. Hell I can connect my own hard drive but it isn't powered.

I should specify it's a 2010 13 inch Macbook, the upgradable ones.

It is hard wired to the board via the same lanes

>5 year old laptop
>recently suddenly started freezing at random times, have to pull out battery
>ran all sorts of hardware (memtest, windows own, lenovo tools, intel processor test) and software tests

>now suddenly slow as fuck, esp when booting up
>slow in general
>task manager shows HDD usage spikes while doing almost anything, often 100%
>CrystalDiskInfo shows pic related

new HDD (or SSD) needed right now?

you got a svchost virus

Sounds likes it deading.
You should back it all up.
You could try to do a reinstall, it could be windows being fuckey.
Otherwise grab a new ssd

In theory, if the only thing that was wrong with the macbooc was that the hard drive power rail was nonfucntional, then you could power it externally and connect the data back to the macbook, but I really doubt that is the only thing wrong with it if the hard drive isn't powering up.

cute cat

On Fedora 24, how the fuck do you extend a partition? On every other distro I've tried gparted just werks, but since the partition is lvm2 (and inside an extended partition while the unallocated space isn't) it just doesn't work for whatever reason. I've tried googling around, and from what i can gleam lvm is suppoate to be easier to resize, yet not a single result tells me how to actually resize lvm2 partitions. It's really maddening.

How to dual boot?

do cats have a strong immune system from licking themselfs?

Because you're a blind faggot
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lvm#Growing_or_shrinking_with_lvresize

AND
its so fucking easy

I'm having the hardest time trying to installing pic related. I have tried stopping it and reinstall. Idk honestly have no clue what is the problem. I can't even play my demo of Bloodstain without installing this.
What do?