I built a computer back in '09 and have been using it for the last 7 years. I have an orignal i5-2500...

I built a computer back in '09 and have been using it for the last 7 years. I have an orignal i5-2500, 12 GB ram and a Radeon HD 5850.

It's been fine for playing games, since I haven't really been playing a new games since about 2012. But I have a bit of cash now and think it's time for an upgrade.

If I got a gtx 970, would that along with my current processor be able to run most new games? Or do I need to go all out and get new processor and everything else?

bump

Get a Ti-line card.

Just wait for the new Nvidia and AMD cards to come out before buying anything.

That's exactly the advice I got 7 years ago when building a computer. The waiting never ends. The gtx 970 was just an example, you didn't actually address my question.

Should I get a whole new setup or is a graphics card improvement alone going to be fine?

Processor should be good enough to handle a lot of modern games. but yeah, wait till AMD's new cards. The 480 is expected to be better than the 970 for cheaper (And with a real 4GB vram). Wait for benchmarks which come out in less than a week, on launch day of the card.

great, I'll keep an eye out thank user

I mean, give it a go. Buy your flashy new graphics card and see how the old rig handles it. If it sucks then build a new one, you already have the most expensive component for it ready. Id say get a 980 Ti as it's a lot cheaper now as it's being phased out.
It's what I have and it should be good enough for years to come.

It literally comes out in less than a week.

AMD claim that rx 480 is as powerful as a gtx 970 for a fraction of price and electricity consumption

but whatever, you do you, user

>back in '09

oh it's not obsolete then

wait for the new 250-core alpha CPUs to support windows and opengl

>i5-2500
>HD 5850
>7 years

Don't over estimate how old your build is user, it's not 2018 yet.

I tried to play the new DOOM game during the free trial weekend and it maxed out at 3 fps on the lowest settings. It may not be obsolete, but it's taking a massive shit when I try to play any new games.

No seriously user, wait just a few days, the 480 comes out soon and is powerful enough for 1080p vr, for only 200$

First off, you're lying if you have a 2500k, those weren't made until 2011...

But if these are your specs=

here's the deal. you have decent amount of RAM, you have a decent CPU, your video card is old as shit.

Upgrade your video card, that's literally all you need to do.

For 230$ you can see a massive improvement, it's about all you really need at the moment. (maybe also an SSD now that they're so cheap?)

You're going to get 100+ FPS at 1080p @maxed settings on everything but TW3 because of hairworks gimp.

Alternatevely you could spend 430$ for the 1070 and get 15% higher performance overall.

Forgot to mention, after reading the thread, that it would be criminally retarded of you to buy a 970 unless you can find a used one for 150$ or less.

The stock RX 480 will perform on par with factory-overclocked 980s, with 8GB of ram it has more staying power as well. 100w total power draw and high 60's operating temperature.

The 1070 is a good card too, but for the money right now it doesn't seem worth it (it will be when it goes for MSRP).

the 1080 is the only real choice at the moment if you are going to go 4K, although there is definitely a hefy price.

post more lily

my bad I have an i5-750, not sure why I wrote 2500. As said before, I didn't have my heart set on a 970, I just used it as an example. I'll check out the 480 when it's released. Thanks your help

post more enormous breasts

one more for the road

I have a i5 4440 which is about the exact same speed as the i5 2500 and it can bottleneck a GTX970 at 1519hz core clock in a few games.

Also anAMD card will show bigger CPU bottleneck as their drivers have heavy CPU overhead.

Eventually we'll need dual-CPU boards. Since CPUs aren't progressing worth a fuck but everything else is.

One CPU for actual system purposes, and one expressly for controlling the goddamn GPU(s).

Looks identical to my ex wife.

Assuming of course....multithread ac tually becomes a thing someday instead of this lazy jewery we get now.