Hey guys I installed linux since everybody talks about it here, did I choose a good one?

hey guys I installed linux since everybody talks about it here, did I choose a good one?

Other urls found in this thread:

cream.sourceforge.net/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Sure. Hope you enjoy it.

Be careful with rm.

No, install gentoo.

Just kidding, you're doing fine. Enjoy your freedom from Micro$haft surveillance or Apple homosexuality.

I prefer a different distro, but Ubuntu is a fairly solid one and MATE is a great DE.

Absolutely not.

Just have fun playing with that. You can always swap to something else.
See what you like see what you dont like test and see what works for you. Linux is freedom.
BTw- install arch

Seconded.
MATE is my favorite DE.

Is there anything extra I have to do to make it better?

Customize it to fit your needs.
Hide and get rid of shit you don't like, add things that you do. Use the TweakTool to personalize anything you want.

Have fun.

Xubuntu is much better.

Holy shit this is the friendliest Sup Forums i've ever seen..

yes.

This

what makes mate so good besides the welcome?

ok so i upgraded my browser and installed numix.. now i think it looks a lot nicer ^^

Install Chrome. Bam. Native Netflix. Also install Kodi with Castaway for sports and Exodus for movies & TV. Then, piss off Netflix.

classic MATE is always classic

it's literally the most competent gnome 2.X fork since GNOME went full retard with the tablet ui design for Desktops.

i actually got an invitation to this cool site that has a bunch of movies and tv shows, also netflix originals too :P

>installed numix

You are good to go, your work here is done.
Enjoy linux.

How doe one procure an invitation to such a pleasant sounding company or organization?

alright thanks

Check out Kodi, it's a player, not a site. Do your research, you won't be disappointed.

when i log in i have to click the "invite friends!" button and then i can put an email address there to send an invitation

Wikipedia?

i've used kodi before on windows but all i did with it was stream cable. i don't watch cable anymore so i don't know what i would use it for

fuck you all linux and windows are meant to be used together

Solid, enjoy

>vim
>not notepad++

i keked. i too just made a mint drive and named the disk MINT BRO. unless you were refering to the mate as in the desktop environment

i was referring to the DE lol

Looks like they're using Cream

hm, what's that?

MATE? It's a fork of the long time stable favorite, GNOME 2.

Honestly, it seems like a lot of good things are happening on MATE and I'm almost wanting to go back. I switched to Xubuntu a while ago, interested more in the whisker menu thinking I would use the features of it more, but I sometimes find it lacking, and I've found more stability and hardware problems in the past year on my thinkpad than I ever had with my 4 or 5 months with MATE.

Did GNOME menu work like Whisker Menu in that you can do "!command" in it? I know it was discontinued (and not like it mattered) but I was just wondering.

cream.sourceforge.net/

How does Kubuntu compare to Ubuntu Mate? I'm looking for something to run on my crappy laptop. I tried Lubuntu but it runs like ass, and when I looked up ways to fix it all the links were outdated (couldn't install metacity)

Plasma is memory hungry af, and while I don't know about the stability of it in more recent versions, still not as stable as some other ones out there.

You're gonna be fine with either MATE or Xubuntu. (Both use more or less the same amount of memory, although I would imagine MATE uses slightly less.)

Unless we are talking like a really REALLY old laptop.

It's not too old, its actually extremely low entry-level laptop from 2 years ago (AMD E1-2100 APU with 4 GB RAM)

I'll try out MATE, if this threads still alive after I wake up I'll post my results. Going to torrent the iso while I get some shuteye.

damn that's even worse than my laptop.. and i thought i had it bad. i have 4GB RAM too but my cpu is a lot better than that. would windows even run smoothly on that?

i use MATE on my laptop with 1G ram

For Lubuntu to not work then that's strange if it's only a 2 year old laptop. I don't know anything about the APU, but perhaps the graphics performance is piss awful or something and something to do with it having trouble with it?

Give MATE a try and if all else fails, check /flt/ or /sqt/. Best of luck

>^^
Congrats for finding linux, now kys you fucking faggot

hey now, don't be a cyberbully i want this to be a friendly thread ok?

Ubuntu is great, I'm not a ricer so I'm actually thinking about going back to Ubuntu next. Either that or Mint, they both are ready to use.

Actually installed Ubuntu + Mate myself yesterday because I'm tired of Win10, but it didn't take me many seconds to regret my choice so I installed Debian + xfce4 instead. I feel more at home with xfce4 than mate, feels more practical and flexible to use, and using debian with stable and free packages feels good.

>Sup Forums
>friendly
>unironically thinking that

I'm new to Linux and I installed Linux Mint Cinnamon in a Virtual Box. Feels good, somehow free and safe. Feels like my own OS. I also like the many ways to personalize the UI.
What do you say?

My nigga

Ubuntu mate is great for starters.

Good job OP!

I run a linux based distro myself that's 100% free as in freedom down to the BIOS.

This user here, morning lads. I got Ubuntu MATE installed and it runs a lot better now. Thanks again for the recommendation

renamon has nice strong thighs

That she does.

>linux based distro
>not calling it GNU/Linux
you tried

>Kawaii-PC

kys

I meant Ubuntu based, actually. It's early.

>Mint
Literally why

rms doesn't have a google account
kill yourself

Mind inviting me ?
I don't really bother putting my email here desu.

BOTNET
O
T
N
E
T

Remove Mate, install Gnome shell instead with some nice extensions of your choise

He installed linux.
The boys are giving him the welcoming to the autism association.

you're wrong

I've used gnome shell for years and recently moved "back" to mate. God damnit mate is great. A bit of compiz eye candy to get expose etc

I used gnome 2 for the longest time in 2000s so it's comfy to be back.

so fucking true, surprising

MATE and XFCE are so comfy. I kinda want to switch.

I have the same laptop, tried xubuntu on it and run pretty good
You cant watch youtube videos if you're using windows(or even browse smootgly)

I also enjoy MATE.
It doesn't get the same buggy shit with the mouse disappearing after login.
Its a good starter. Remember to read up on important updates and things to do to make your Linux experience go better.