You're limited to one sata drive per channel

>you're limited to one sata drive per channel
How did this piece of shit replace IDE?

SATA is also an order of magnitude faster than IDE.

Maybe because it's a lot faster?

It's also not Fuck huge, you could have like 4 SATA connectors in the space for 1 ide

But ide has more connectors? Could you not update the controller to increase bandwidth?

More like 2 sata for each ide, maybe 3.
But then you have more cables hanging around your pc.

>theres more cables, must be faster

You can still have as many hard discs connected via SATA as you did with IDE. Also 1.5 Gbit/s at least with first series SATA versus 133 Mbps with IDE at most. Trolling or not, don't be fucking stupid.

>colored stripe aligns with each pin 1
Holy shit how did I not know this.

Thinner cables better airflow.

We've stopped using p4 housefires gramps, airflow isn't that important anymore, as long as it's there

>More like 2 sata for each ide, maybe 3.
>But then you have more cables hanging around your pc.
IDE dimensions: 3.3mm x 35.88mm
SATA dimensions: 2.2mm x 8mm

(3.3x35.88)/(2.2x8) = 6.7275

You can have literally 6 connectors in the same space as as one IDE, and one of them is faster at the worst connection (sata 1 at 183MB/s) vs the best IDE (Ultra-ATA 133MB/s)

So that's twice the density at higher speeds. Serial connectors are also simpler to design, implement, and lay down traces for so it's cheaper too.

Also, smaller cables in general means better airflow and better ease-of-use. Could you imagine trying to place down 2 IDE cables in places where they won't block or reroute airflow so that you can connect your 4 drives?

Yeah but you can't Daisy chain sata.
IDE: 1
Sata: 0

Why would I want to when I can just put down the same number of connectors in a vastly smaller space for cheaper and they're also faster?

You fucking idiot.

What did I say?

Are you really this stupid...the easiest can flow through your case the less your intake and exhaust fans have to work making less noise. Now I waant saying better airflow is why SATA was developed and implemented I'm just saying it's a plus. Now go be retarted somewhere else...

only one IDE device can communicate on the bus at a time

also, sata port multipliers are a thing

both sata and ide is dead

Das gay tho

oh :(

IDE isn't daisy-chained, either

I'm calling your bluff.
Prove it.

One device can only talk at once on a parallel protocol.
They ain't daisy chained, they are sharing the leads, even if it was passthru, which would look like daisy chaining for someone who does not know better, it would not change a thing.

Then why don't they make sata cables like that?

daisy-chaining refers to the way things are physically connected, by connecting devices to other devices, in a line or ring

SATA is serial with higher frequency and bandwidth.

You could do it over PATA with a controller made for serial, but the amount of errors because of the IDE cable would slow it down to unusable speeds.

Instead they will probably release a new SATA specification soon with extra lanes and higher speeds for correct lanes.

SATA controllers are also easier on the CPU. PATA, ISA, all are old legacy technology.

You would have to share the cable, decreasing single drive bandwidth.
But there is SAS, which is sharing one cable and connector for many drives.

why isn't SATA daisy-chained?
presumably because hosts were getting fast enough to be able to handle multiple devices each at their full speed, which requires a star topology (like sata uses)

>multiple devices each at their full speed
should also add that device speeds were also increasing, making it harder to make a single host controller with enough bandwidth to satisfy several high-bandwidth devices

Do you not understand that IDE shares the data path among devices? Enjoy your 45MB/S SSDs

You're gay.

>ssd
Das gay tho

Sata is being superceded by u.2 which is designed for SSDs. However, it will still be around for a long time as it's ideal for hard drives.

Nah, they will keep developing the SATA protocol, U.2 ain't useful for servers.
There will probably be internal drives using the PCI-E bus, like Thunderbolt external drives.

M.2*

You mixed me up there too, I should go sleep.

SATA III - 6GB per second
IDE - 133mb per second

If you can't figure out why sata replaced IDE, you need a beating.

>U.2 ain't useful for servers.
Why not?

Server drives are typically smaller PCIe cards with edge connectors like your graphics card, see Intel P3x00. Some are using the new SFF-8639 adapter that does PCIe 3.0 over a port that is similar to the SAS/Sata shape. M.2 is also rated to do PCIe signals, but the limiting factor is typically storage capacity and thermal limits. You can get wierd form factors like a 110mmx22mm M.2 card, but those are less common and cloud/data operators usually request those as custom designs from known companies (eg intel, samsung, etc)

Source: SSD engineer for a big electronics company

Because hundreds terabytes of SSD storage is not a valuable option for most companies.

Yup, exactly what I was thinking.

Think it's because they just can't handle the workload without throttling.

Serial vs. Parallel.
SATA / SAS vs. IDE / SCSI

SATA / SAS is orders of magnitude better.

What is SSD caching...

But you can't have both devices talking at the same time on IDE.
IDE:1
SATA: 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

SATA's score is relative to the number of bytes you will get off both drives in the time it takes to get one byte off the two IDE drives.

IDE ended at 167MB/s (1.333Gb/s)
SATA started at 1.5Gb/s (187.5MB/s)

so there wasn't much of a speed difference in the beginning

bait. almost fell for it.

So easy to infuriate the aspergers crowd

Though there were immediate benefits in multi drive systems.
I think SATA also achieve more of its designed bandwidth than IDE did as well.

>using cables

Every component of my PC communicates wirelessly with the CPU

I'm glad we don't have to deal with this shit any more.

I used to have a PCMCIA SCSI adapter for my Amiga and had like a scanner, a CD writer and an external hard drive all hooked up. Never worked properly.

>order of magnitude
my sources say it's actually 0.654 order of magnitude

My western digital black is Only ~150MB/s read and 130MB/s write.

Does this mean I wouldn't benefit from sata without an ssd?

I miss firewire.

Isn't IDE also called p-ata as opposed to s-ata (parallel and series)?

Yea.
Parallel master race yo

Why not just plug the HDD directly into the motherboard like a M.2 and ignore all the cables?

read & write throughput isn't the only benefit of an SSD

That's what laptops usually do.

But I'm talking about pata and sata

No, you still benefit from SATA.
Firstly, latency. SATA has far less latency than IDE did and hard drives have cache, so if the cache is hit then you get data from the drive faster than you would have if it were on IDE.
Secondly, as with pretty much all connections the standard was a theoretical limit that was almost never reached. I never got 150MB/s throughput on an IDE drive.
Thirdly, SATA has less overhead so in general.

Everyone saw a benefit from moving to SATA. Even optical drives eventually did.

>sata port multipliers
These are horrible AFAIK.

SATA uses 8b/10b encoding, so effectively each byte is 10 bits, so 1.5 Gigabits per second is 150 Megabytes per second, not 187.

>current year
>not SCSI masterrace

Why is SCSI still a thing?

because scuzzy is a funny name

You can daisy chain SAS.

They fucking are. Everything has to be 100% compatible or you get random dropping drives or drives not showing up at all.

I was fucking around with it last year and accessing each drive was fine but accessing both at once sort of bottlenecked the whole thing and only one drive would respond while the other was 100% active but never transfered a single byte until the other was finished.

Because it's fucking good?

With system memory becoming so cheap and available (Yes, even ECC) more and more companies are storing databases in memory and then using a slave to do the actual writing. No loss of performance in a production environment.

>Worked in a large datacenter until recently

The straight edges and same angles makes this image so goddamn comfy.

>straight edges and same angles

It's called an isometric drawing. It's a type of parallel projection.

>comfy