If GNU/Linux is so great, why does it only have 1% marketshare...

If GNU/Linux is so great, why does it only have 1% marketshare? Why couldn't Valve convince gaymers to switch over with the miserable failure that was SteamOS and Steam Machines.

Because Linux is shit.

Manufacturers already tried putting the Linux meme on their PC's and nobody bought them and the ones that did returned them.

How can something that costs nothing have a marketshare?

Linux is way more than 1%, we just had to drop GNU first.

>If GNU/Linux is so great

It's not great, Linux is awful

Same reason why coca cola is so successfull despite being obviously shit for you while water is much cheaper

It takes often more effort to do the right thing and many don't have the willpower for it.

/thread

I don't like Steam or Valve in general. GOG is nicer.

Coke has calories, water is just empty (like Linux)

>no games

What about GNU/hurd?

>If GNU/Linux is so great, why does it only have 1% marketshare?

Linux has a much larger market share then that, just not in the desktop world. It's a great server OS.

Coke has unhealthy ammounts of sugar and is overall bad for your health, water is much healthier. Try again.

If a Porsche is so fast, why does it only have 1% market share? :^)

because it's expensive
gnu/linux is literally free

a banana has more sugar than a glass of coke.

I think it's really great on my home server and on shitloads of actual production servers at work, but it's still too buggy and glitchy for desktop use by people who don't want to tinker with it and aren't willing to compromise their "experience" for the sake of something intangible like free software.

Coke has water inside of it as well, it's like water+, water is just inferior and has horrible driver support

>Implying Linux is fast

TOPPEST OF KEKS

This, Linux is good for servers, if you're using it on a desktop you're a complete moron

More people drink Water than Coca Cola, retard.

>implying it isn't

Same reason as britain left EU and trump has massive support

The vast majority of the population are brain dead poop flinging chimpanzees

>Linux is good for servers, if you can't use it on a desktop you're a complete moron

Ftfy

Linux is unoptimized garbage

I blame the illuminati.
The elite 1% have 90% of the weath and 100% of the desktop linux.

That claim was bullshit, they count everything together but the form matters and absorbtion with fruits is also different than liquid.

There's a difference between being unable to use it and not wanting to because it's straight-up worse in certain regards compared to Windows or OS X.

>unoptimized garbage
>MUH GAME BENCHS
hahahaha holy shit

more a matter of driver's being shit than the OS's fault, both nvidia /amd don't really care since almost nobody uses it for gaming.

Maybe it will get fixed with vulkan but i wouldn't hope on anything.

Except you can set it up exactly like windows or osx minus the single title bar that osx has.

Same ole winchildren scared of something different as usual.

>don't pay anyone to make games for your console
>let the whole point of consoles - unified hardware - be to your console what privacy is to the xbone
>have no brand recognition
>wonder why it failed
It's like the vita, except the vita had brand recognition and had some people paid to make games for it. Also it had unified hardware-
well, it's really not like the vita.

Nvidia, although shit heads has nice driver support for linux.

But the image posted with no specs leads to questioning the validity of the benchs. Plus source games are a port with a software translation layer similar to wine so its not truely native.

Chromebooks are extremely popular and sell like hotcakes. ChromeOS is gentoo, no less.

Nobody uses it for anything, so all companies don't care.

They spend their time making things work good on Windows, and then Linux just gets token support so it's complete garbage.

Generally 1% market share.
On tech related websites, it's more like 50/50.
>The more you know about computers, the more likely you are to use linux.

because it's not controlled by corporations and Microsoft forces ccompanies to put Windows in their computers. GNU is incredible and I install it over OEM OS

True, I will admit that ChromeOS is actually the only usable Linux Distro.

The irony is that it's not free, so neckbeards don't like it.

I looked up the nutritional values of both. There is no absurd amount of sugar in coke, just don't be a retard who drinks 2 liters of it in a day.

milk also has far more calories.

>The more time you have to waste, the more likely you are to use linux.

Fixed

But there are plenty of "easy" distros that have a complete UI?
There's a great deal of confirmation bias going on here- Windows and macOS have plenty of bugs and are arguably more "glitchy" but because they're the default, those glitches are looked over. Because Linux doesn't come default, it's a change from the norm, and every glitch and bug is blamed exclusively on that change.

This. Who's got time to administrate servers and secure system except nerds? Those who do real work and aren't neet play videogames all day, that's more important!

Linux is waaaaaay more buggy than Windows and Mac OS combined, like the problems you encounter in any Linux distro on a regular basis are absolutely unacceptable in a consumer desktop OS. In the end you get what you pay for.

I'll try to remember that while I'm waiting the usual 15 minutes for windows 10 to be usable in 2 or 3 weeks when I boot it up to check for updates again. (and to see if it's actually improved any)

>tales from the basement

Exactly. Linux is "expensive" in the sense that it's difficult to learn for normies.

>wasting time on a tech website.
Must be nice to be getting paid to shitpost here all day, Pajeet.

You say that like Windows doesn't have gamebreaking bugs all the time

Yeah

Except I get tearing on all 3 screens with a default install on pretty much any distro
Except random shit will be broken randomly, for instance Chromium on Ubuntu 16.04 doesn't work properly on my system
Except jumping through all sorts of hoops to get shit like video acceleration going
Except the huge GUI-oriented software library Windows has
Except the shitty/broken multimonitor support (in some distros/DEs)
Except the half-functional, fiddly AMD GPU drivers

I've used it for several months, tried multiple distros and I still have Linux installed now, it's usable and can be worked with and of course has its own advantages (even practical ones beyond the philosophy of free software) but it's not as smooth and functional out of the box as Windows.

The tearing issue, especially with multiple monitors, is what is completely mind boggling for me. Having a tear-free desktop is like absolutely basic shit, the most basic thing of a basic desktop experience, yet after years and years distros still come out and have tearing out the ass when doing run of the mill tasks like moving a window or scrolling a web page. I can't understand how it's even fucking possible to install a modern, up to date distro in 2016 and get fucking tearing when scrolling in Firefox. FUCKING HOW?

Nobody even cares to fix bugs like this in Linux because their userbase is so small.

No users, no support, Linux is just an awful desktop OS if you want basic things like stability and speed

>be playing vidya
>Windows randomly freezes
>it's updating
>wait a few hours
>still doesn't work
>reboot pc
>Windows is corrupted
>have to reinstall Windows
I've had this two times already

>Judge the speed of operating system,by using only gaming benchmarks.

If Windows is so great, why does Microsoft spend 99% of their time trying to discredit GNU on Sup Forums?

/thread

You can flash the firmware on them and build your own chromiumos image, pretty damn free.

Hoo boy, the Windows shills are out in force today!

>linux is shit

Yeah, enjoy your literal botnet hard-coded into the .dlls

>copying non-trivial amounts of data with a windows machine from one disk to another is so painful you're better off booting a live version of linux.

The day I discovered this for myself, back when 7 was new, cemented in my mind that moving to linux last century was a good idea.

Linux neckbeards are so delusional they actually think Microsoft cares about their hobbyist OS

>Exactly. Linux is "expensive" in the sense that it's difficult to learn for normies.

It isn't. It's only difficult to learn for the so-called "power users" who have learned what dead-chicken to wave at Windows to make it work.

Actual "normies" have no problems with Linux.

Love wintards. The old "no vidya gayms" and "can't waste my valuable time" arguments, not even grasping the ironing.

>Linux neckbeards are so delusional they actually think Microsoft cares about their hobbyist OS

"Halloween Documents"

What distro?

Distro? Is that a kind of package manager? No, I only use linux. Version 14.04.

>AMD
>Translation layer from DirectX

>market share
>free software
>market
>free

Holy shit you mean ubuntu, theres other distros that are better.

Distro = distribution
Ubuntu, Arch, Gentoo, Mint, Fedora, etc

I know this is bait, but Ubuntu in its default setup cannot tear.

Compton for screen tearing bruh

I only tried Ubuntu 16.04 and Kubuntu 16.04 lately, last year I tried pretty much all versions of Ubuntu, several versions of Mint, several versions of Debian, Fedora, OpenSUSE and some other shit that I forgot. Literally not a single one of those distros has functional VSync out of the box (on my system), that is absolutely disgraceful.

1/10 you got me to reply.

Seriously, what?

Linux kernel is commanding over 30% of all the devices used to browse the web globally.

>Literally not a single one of those distros has functional VSync out of the box (on my system)

Ok, what system?

Be specific.

>replying to a trole

Yeah...

Actually AMDGPU is actively developed for GCN cards (with Vulkan) and could run better than on Windows. Not sure about Nividia, they aren't that much into OSS.

Where, exactly?

290X CF, 4790K, 16GB RAM
3 monitors
>portrait 1920x1200, on HDMI > DVI
>3840x2160, on DP
>2560x1440, on DL-DVI
CF always disabled, all monitors connected to the 1st card.

>StatCounter Global Stats
>Top 8 Operating System from June 2014 to May 2016
>Region: Worldwide

It's all in the graph.

there's nothing mate, only something called unknown, but that isn't specifically the linux kernel.

What is android

>not desktop
I need the desktop share, not some crippled OS "based" on Linux.

ChromeOS is tweaked OpenSUSE not Gentoo

because only winners use linux

SteamOS has been a great success for Linux gaming from Linux user point of view. I don't know how well it has gone for Valve so far in the money department but I guess they are betting on it for long term.

Remember how shitty Steam was like when it first came out? Well they have to start somewhere and build it over time. If you compare Linux gaming before Steam on Linux and after you can see a huge leap in ease of setup, availability, performance and compatibility of games and accessories.

Valve probably wants to have a backup plan in case Microsoft tries to make Windows gaming to heavily default into Microsoft Store and for when Linux stack becomes more competitive platform for gaming on the software side.

>consumertard OS is the only marketshare that matters

It's doing great in server, mobile, embedded marketshare but none of those matter because muh vdeogaymes, am I rite?

Because gaymen babbies are too retarded for Linux? Did you even try?

By referring to the Linux operating system as GNU/Linux, you reveal your lack of knowledge. You are too stupid to discuss such topics.