Did i mess up

just bought a 290x trix for 240$
considering the 480 4gb is 240$ after tax and shipping with reference cooler

Other urls found in this thread:

wccftech.com/radeon-rx-480-wattman-overclocking/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Unless you got the 8GB Vapor X, Yeah, you fucked up.

shieeeet i got the 4gb

Enjoy your power consumption, heat, and lower performance.

even if the 480 wasn't coming in a few days, a 970 performs better than a 290x, has considerably better OC headroom and draws nearly half the power.

you fucked up big time.

but 3.5

>soon to be gimped
>degrade gpu lifetime
>draws 1,2€ less per month

You should have just waited until Wednesday.

send it back, fool.

Looks like its on fire from thumbnail

290x is still better than the 480 by a little.

You didn't do bad, but I won't say you did well either.

You FUCKING GOOFED

Send that shit back dude

You got a really good price for the card but the 480 is just such a huge leap.

>the 480 is just such a huge leap.
The latest chink test showed an OC'd Polaris put up 12467 in firestrike. My non X 290 tri-x at 1000mhz gets 11700.

Its looking worse and worse as it gets nearer to official reviews. I'm still hoping the 390x comparison holds up but the 980 is looking like fantasy atm.

More like next month, aren't we getting reference hotboxes this week?

Tri-X is decent. I'm using two 8gb Tri-X. They easily eat anything out now, but... yeah, massive fucking heat and power use.

R9 480 will be 240$? Nigger that's cheap af

You have to also factor in the wattage reduction.

Yeah, you did

so return it dumbass

nv shill pls

This.
Had a 290x, it idled at 51*c constantly, 70-80+ in games. On a hot day it ended up at mid 90's. No chance of overclocking, it got crippled by the heat. It wasn't a faulty card either.
Not even a year later got myself a 980ti. Idles at around 25 and doesn't go higher than 61 in the same games with fans on so low I can't hear them.

390x owner here your full of shit

$200 for the 4GB model, $230 for 8GB. Worst case benches have it performing at 390x / 970 level while using a lot less power.

$240

Thanks for the correction, was looking at some slightly older info.

>tfw someone somewhere was buying a gtx 970 for ~290 USD just a month ago

could be worse lad

Wait till latest drivers arrive

>Idles at around 25
really? lying on the internet?

>your

The stunning intellect of a AMD fag

Im about to cream myself. Was gonna upgrade anyway. Thought about 960 for $200 but a r9 480 for $40 bucks more is an insane deal.

I have the same, but my case has really good flow, so no matter what I play, the temperature never goes above 45 C. They're not even watercooled.

Nigga ram is insanely cheap too. Ddr4 is like 24 euros for 8gigs. 6 months ago ddr4 was twice that

Just don't try to overclock the reference 480 much.

wccftech.com/radeon-rx-480-wattman-overclocking/

I'm also running a gtx 960. The only game I play that stresses it out a lot is Witcher 3 though. Between goyworks and the fact that I'm not demanding on my hardware, i'm going to wait about a year. That said, If you play almost every AAA title, and demand great visuals all the time, sure, go upgrade. Try to get a decent ebay/craigslist card for the 960 while you're at it. Some chucklefuck might pay you $140 for it.

You can overclock the RX480 on the stock cooler for 14% which brings it to above 980 performance, somewhere around the fury. If you want to overclock more you should wait for AIB solutions as the cooler is definitely the bootleneck. It can theoretically draw 225 Watts so there should be enough headroom for 20%-25% OC.

Yes, it's a bad buy at this point. A 480 would be a smarter purchase, probably slightly faster and with lower power draw.

There's no reason to buy a 290X at this point.

Return it

So they put the cheapest and most embarrassing cooler possible on it. It must have been hard hitting that $199 target.

Polaris looks good now, it will be bargain basement when its weaker than xbox 1.5

I mean at least its good for mining?

with that price you could get a used gtx titan or 970 or if lucky a 980

Get a bunch of Radeon Pro Duo and start mining shitcoins

As far as I know, it's no longer worth since at least 2 years.

But its got dat 512 bu$

Thought that was good for mining. Im no chinese miner though so what do I know. You probably need a generator to keep that thing going anyways.

>Go to graigslist equivalent of my country
>Search for gpus
>Delusional walnuts want 300 dollats for used gtx 970s
>Mfw

Holy fuck you are stupid

never said OP should buy a 970, just that it's the superior card. OP should have waited 3 days to see how the 480 stacks up.

an OCed 970 outperforms your $500 rebrand. stay mad AMDrone.

>Gee imma pick this one over clocked aib card and compare it to the generic 390x results, that's probably at fucking stock speeds

Really dude, pretty retarded desu

kek

You paid more for an inferior product.

I bought an R9 290 a year ago for $170, and am happy with that purchase. Hawaii is a great architecture with long legs, but I wouldn't buy it now.

What? The 390x has about 20% better performance than the 970. At stock clock-speed, the 480 shouldn't be more than a few percent worse than the 980.

Could live in a house where temp is constantly around 65-70 room temp