Why are old computers so comfy?

Why are old computers so comfy?
(pic related is my powerbook g4)

Why are you running Tiger instead of PPC Debian for security and more up to date packages than that piece of shit?

It's Leopard. I've already tried PPC Debian also, and it's a huge hassle to set up (on my powerbook at least), so I just stuck with Leopard

Really old computers are not comfy. They're a pain in the butt to use.

But around the mid 2000s computers got very comfy with Windows XP and Mac OS X. These operating systems were very powerful and flexible, but also simple enough for a person to get to the point where they felt like they were in near total control of the OS.

Ubuntu was very comfy as well up until the switch to Unity.

Vista was the start of the gimmicks for Microsoft. Somewhere in the late 2010s Apple started having shorter and shorter support periods for their software (I'm not too up on Apple history).

Win 7 can be considered comfy, I suppose. But it's too messy in places for my taste. The control panel is unintuitive and the file permissions system is terrible.

Right now, without looking it up can you get to the Virtual Memory management window in Windows 7 without having a misclick along the way to get there?

I could do it every time in Windows XP but I can never quite remember exactly where it is in 7. I always end up in the wrong place for a few seconds before I get there.

>no QE

DOS and win9x were great.

I do have QE, but I just tweaked the OS a bit to make it faster

DOS was good. Windows 95 through ME were headaches and people are too nostalgic for them.

Win9x was quite good if you used good hardware that had stable drivers.

Would it still be possible to use a Wndows 98 computer to connect to the modern Internet? I've heard of kernel extenders that let them get more modern browsers. Anyone have experience with this?

You could install GNU (Linux)
Debian would still work on a Windows 98 era PC

Oh yeah, I already plan to make a Linux partition, I was curious about Windows 98 for muh nostalgia reasons though

Opera 10 still works, especially with KernelEx
Otherwise K-meleon

>KernelEx

That's what I was thinking of, appreciate it

There is also some other project like that for windows 2000

I would only ever run that security nightmare in a VM on linux with networking disabled for gaming purposes.

The software was the issue. A lot of software back then was glitchy af.

I think it's because it doesn't look flat and minimalist

that looks like a wallpaper an old windows OS had

There's nothing comfier than heating your home with a nice piece of multi-thousand dollar kit.

Because firewalls, common sense, homebrew and TenFourFox exist.

>windows 95 setup wallpaper

>that wallpaper
why

Tech in general was comfier in the past.

Computers were cool back then, the internet was fun, people liked sitting down in front of their computer instead of the TV and exploring something new and interesting.

Developers were also much more chill, they had problems here and there, plenty of all nighters, but nothing majorly fucked up and beyond their ability to change or influence.

Look at tech today, you have a handful of hardware megacorps all developing what are essentially identical products as far as the average normie is concerned, software is all mostly standardized and what little consumer-grade innovation comes along is at best gimmicky literally-why-ware and at worst straight up dystopian Stasiware.

Look at networking, our Wired became packet switched television, there are no more cool places online, everything is commercialized to shit, designed and marketed as per focus groups with the singular aim of prompting the most amount of click output per consumer unit reached and collecting that output to be sold to advertisers so they can more efficiently section off your dwindling attention span into an invisible Dyson sphere of mass marketing and most likely covert AI research.

And now we have an entire generation that grew up on this, drooling little dipshits who can't be bothered to know any better feeding this cancer with gorillibytes of freely surrendered data whilst unironically demanding that what little remains of the original Wired be cracked down on because >muh feefees, completely oblivious to the fact that they're being useful idiots towards the dystopian endgames of insidious globalist superstates.

>so Bob, how are we doing this UI?
>I don't fucking know Jim, a cold machined grey like my fucking soul or a bland infantile pastel like my children's future, what does the focus group say?

The next day Bob is arrested while setting up a pirate wmesh relay and Apphueisoft decide its finally time to put their graphic design AI in beta.

v. strange post this