/lsg/ - Loudspeaker General

I've noticed the regular /hpg/ threads so I thought we could create a thread to discuss speakers. Feel free to discuss studio monitors, PA speakers, car audio, and speaker building, etc.

thinking of upgrading to focal utopia minis from my focal 807vw since they are only 4500 second hand from a store over east that or the diablo since its its 10k used and people take care of them

What are good desktop amps under 100€?
2x50w required

Any of you build speakers? I'm thinking about putting a mahogany veneer on mine. The front baffle will just be painted black to make it easier for me.

The rear, though, will need to have a circle cut out for the speaker terminals. Can I just use a router with a circle jig to cut a circle into the veneer? I don't have the circle cut out of the MDF yet. Would it be better to glue the veneer then cut the circle out after it dries? Then finish, etc?

What about a hole saw?

I suppose I could buy one, but routering would cost zero since I already have the router and jig. Thing is I've never dealt with veneer before so I don't know how hard it is to work with.

These are woodworking questions.
Not a lot of woodworkers among the cellar-dwellers.

anything amazon really

really good amps are available at 400$

why does everyone want to talk about cheap stuff

One day I will own a pair of Wilson Audio speakers. They're ugly as fuck, but man they sound amazing.

All of these speakers are so fucking ugly. My family is willing to shell out over $10000 for a loudspeaker setup but everything that has been suggested to me over the internet looks like shit.

Just curious here, how did you arrive at the conclusion that 2x50W is required? Because unless you have some really inefficient speakers or an absolutely fuckhuge room that's way, way above what you need for a normal (or even loud) listening level.

my dad got these really long ago, i took them and yeah, shitty desk, shitty set up, but it works and the desk shakes like shit when its above 20% volume, so uhh, i'm pretty ok with this

"Ugly" is subjective, but all those speakers look like pretty normal speakers to me.

For $10k you can probably find somebody who knows his shit and have him build pretty speakers for you, whatever those may be.

glue vineer, put tape over it, then cut.

then make your own

pic related.... my setup. made em myself. need to make a matching sub box still

pic of speaker, ez

you cant tell from the front on pictures, but they are real shiny.

sorry about rezolution, im out of state and dont have pics on my laptop, so i had to pull them from old sms

>HSI flat Iron

post tits

its my girlfriends.

notice the shit on top the subwoofer? you really think i would store stuff on top of a subwoofer?

also, binding posts > terminal cups

>JUST

That cable management

do it

sub box needs work how much did the drivers cost do you save heaps of cash

I recently dug up an old surround sound system to get me by until i can afford to go ballsout on a new set up and I need an aux to RCA audio cable and was wondering if there'd be any point in getting a 12 dollar one over a 3 dollar one?

yeah, the sub box is out of an old car, and just hooked up to the inuke 3000 dsp. im planning on re-doing it in the same finish as the speakers. i graduate in a semester, and im out of state for the summer, so i dont have time now to work on it now, and im also building a turbocharger jet...

so, new sub box, center channel, 2 surround bookshelves, and a jet in 3 months while full time. thats the goal.

the speakers were 240 each for components, plus 100-150 or so on paint and shit (for both)

thats cool af, white colour is the shit yo

ive spent 10k on a speaker setup for that price point check out Vincent audio for amplifiers they make great stuff have a look at focal they have a granite finish on there drivers it looks amazing or maybe sonos fabres they look like cool aliens with some of there models

heres the crossover.

also listened to the orphius and some other 1000+ headphones. i will say these speakers sound damn good. plan on getting some rta gear so i can see how flat they are, but the modeling says it should be amazing

how much all up would it cost you to make them also what would they compair to in terms of quality

i say i spent around 300 - 250 per speaker... with about 2 - 2.5 months of time on the weekends.

both build quality and sound quality are stunning. i havent heard any floor speakers that sound beter, and the only headphones which sounded better where the orphius and the lcd-4

hmmm quite interesting im looking for a speaker upgrade dont want floorstanders gonna get some bookshelfs around the 4000$ mark its a shame i have no talent or else i could make a set

how many floorstanders have you heard the best ive heard is this 20k pair of sonos fabres at the hifi store i buy my stuff from

Bretty good but then they ship it to you and gets smashed up

Hey i know a good bit about my headphones and such so i was wanting info about what people think of my speakers i have a pair of Bose 601 Series III

Pic related is them

do you have a set how are they yeah that is what i worry about when getting them shiped but its from an actual hifi store because im from australia and we have good consumer laws i would be able to get a full refund if they were damaged during transit

Was from a guy, no official stuff so they should ship properly.

Really good sound with the lams, you can feel as if in the orchestra.

nice trips how much did you pay what do you use to drive them im thinking my vincent 331mk and matching pre amp should be able to do the job

7500 US for the pair

Lams, compared to hybrid the lams which are pure tube no question beat the hybrid in stuff like classical music especially

You should be great though

Is that a Crown amp? Aren't they noisy (ie noise floor, fan noise)?

cool now just gotta save up for them

his is a behringer iNuke, there are many posts about fan mods for that.