Is it worth picking up a 970 now that the 1070/80s are out? Was thinking of picking up a 1070...

Is it worth picking up a 970 now that the 1070/80s are out? Was thinking of picking up a 1070, but they seem like overkill for 1080p.

> Was thinking of picking up a 1070, but they seem like overkill for 1080p

the 1070 is much more future proof, when games start going over 3.5gb the 970 will choke

That's true card I ordered.

Definitely overkill. If you can get a 970 for cheap and expect it to last a few years go for it. Otherwise, get a 1070 to future proof newer games.

RX 480

I'm with this nigga, why the hell would you spend $250-300 when you can get 390x performance for less?

Get an RX 480 or a 1070. No point in buying old hardware that will be obsolete in a couple years. 3.5VRAM will be a pain

this

Here, the GTX970 dropped to €300, but that's more than what the RX 480 will sell for. The 970 is entirely outgunned by the AMD, which in terms of power is equivalent to an R9 390X.

GTX 970 is still a stupid purchase.

>overkill for 1080p
Why is this continually coming up? Does everyone expect future games to have the exact same demands as 3 year old games?

390. Do not presume, my 390x whips that shit into shape.

not necessarily, but how its looking by next generation the standard should be 4k60fps. Pascal was so fucking close to this, but just barely fell short.

I have two R9 390Xs

Wait until the 480 is out, since the 970's price will drop sharply.

ayy, that's pretty good

wrong maxresdefault lmao

ayy, that's pretty good

Don't buy 970 pls

I am having problems with modded Skyrim with 2K textures @ 1080

FPS sets at 12 min , 25 avg , 40 max

shut the fuck up retarded highschool shilling shit

>future proof
>chokes at async dx12 games
Wew lad.

No. The VRAM limitation is hitting hard even at 1080p these days and Nvidia won't be doing any more driver optimisations for it. Either get a 480 or, if that turns out to be a disaster, wait for the 1060.

Man, I'm starting to get super pissed about all this /wait/ bullshit.

I've had this GPU for a few months, luv it! I visually don't upgrade until @least 3 or 4 new versions cum out

The 480 comes out in two days. Take your Ritalin and calm down.

You should always buy a card when its new if you can afford it.

You will be kicking yourself if you don't because even if you don't get a brand new card, the one you originally wanted will be cheaper.

I'll wait. I just hope that 470 lauches by then too. 480's price is already not worth it here.

>buying a 9xx series card right before nshitia releases the 1xxxx series
>Buying a card that is going to be gimped in the near futire
>Buying a 3.5gb card over a 8gb card AND paying more for it
Nvidicucks, everyone.

if you're going to get a 970 then why not just get a rx480 when it comes out. pretty much same thing but hundred dollars cheaper/.

>better than a 970
>for less money
>totally not worth it brah
Ok kid

>1070 future proof
rofl, good luck with DX12 and NVidia's famous longevity.

If by future proof you mean good for a year before nvidia gimps it, sure.

980 in uk costs only £280 atm. I'm waiting for 480 benches but I've got this feeling I'll go with 2 980 which should be better than 1080.

No.

The RX 470 from AMD is better than the 970(the 390 non x is already better), that should tell you something.

The 970 is garbage, don't ever buy it

If by standard you mean for people willing to spend 1.5k bucks on a PC then yeah it's the "standard".

Don't be retarded, 4K is no standard. Maybe in 5 years.

>6+2010
>still falling for the 970 scam

You seem the type to enjoy when Jamal fucks your girlfriend.

I think OP wants to play games, not post benchmarks.

Games are already going over 3.5 gigs buddy.