Redpill me on the Chip/Pocket Chip

Redpill me on the Chip/Pocket Chip

I'm thinking of getting a Pocket Chip while it's still at $49 but it looks like it will take a month just to ship.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/ZTE-Warp-Elite-Contract-Phone/dp/B0163800S4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Can you browse Sup Forums on these things?

It's fucking dogshit, I'm shocked people would even consider buying this. It has 512MB of RAM, 512!!!

Get the $80 warp elite instead, on airplane mode it acts like a glorifief tablet and does not need to be activated with boost to use it.

amazon.com/ZTE-Warp-Elite-Contract-Phone/dp/B0163800S4

Has 2048MB of RAM btw.

I was somewhat interested in the built-in physical keyboard and Debian OS.

You can definitely use a browser as it runs Debian out of the box.

I saw a thread where an user briefly mentioned optimizing a browser view for Sup Forums.

>I was somewhat interested in the built-in physical keyboard
Those are pretty slow to type with. If it's for vydia then there are many bluetooth gamepads out there.

>and Debian OS.
Just run it inside a VM in Android

Honestly you're shooting yourself in the foot with this thing.

Nope, it will constantly crash with only 512MB of RAM to work with.

The built in keyboard is the most appealing part.

I wish the screen resolution wasn't 480x272.

>>Sup Forums

Why would you unironically waste money on this? It baffles me. Even sub-$50 1GB RAM android phones have 960x540 screens now.

Are you just autistic or something?

im not sure i understand where this is coming from

No, I'm not getting one and that's exactly why. That's what I said.

Are you just illiterate or something?

>android
>no keyboard
>shit battery life

i got one the other week for backing the kickstarter. it's not going to win any races, but i'd argue it's the best cheapest handheld with a real-ass linux installed.

those hacked up zipits were really the only thing going up until now, and no one's gonna see pyras in the wild for a very long time.

protip: this isn't a fucking desktop replacement so don't be trying to watch youtube in chrome. use it for your dorklord maker projects, dick around in the terminal, ssh into shit, pull out the CHIP & use it headless in some dumb project

>480x272
did they get access to a bunch of leftover PSP screens

using the term redpill

You posted an image close to that size so I just assumed you fell for this meme. I'm sorry.

probably a reason why they can sell em so cheap.

remember those 7-9" netbooks? i bet you those had repurposed screens from shitty portable dvd players walmart sold for $59

The term redpill does not come from Sup Forums

Would you recommend it to someone who wants to get into hobbyist programming for neat hardware.

I imagine I'd be more motivated to make something on a nifty device than my boring desktop. The reason the Pocket Chip appeals to me is because I don't have a lot of the hardware to actually use a regular Chip or Raspberry Pi (no hdmi or component displays).

>>android
?

>>no keyboard
>what is a touchscreen keyboard/bluetooth keyboard

>>shit battery life
lmaowut? I only charge my Warp Elite every 2 days most of the time. You call that "shit battery life"?

Why not just get instead? That has better specs for programming.

If I already have a smartphone with service is there any point in buying that just for development?

>If I already have a smartphone with service is there any point in buying that just for development?
Yes, it provides a platform to test out your software. You can chose to sell your software on google play store or give it out for free and make it open source on github for example. This phone in particular is a great testing platform because it use A53 CPU cores and an Adreno GPU found in most android devices nowadays. The 2GB of RAM is great too since most budget android devices will start to include 2GB of RAM as a standard soon.

Complete fucking scam, don't waste your money.

Elaborate

was thinking of getting one
but then you got shipping, vat, additional chip (because why waste all that shipping money)
and the attractive 50$ price is gone

I'm in Cali so I'm pretty sure the chipping is

Because it has a real OS, and allows you to do anything you want with the hardware?
I also like the easily accessible IO pins - using it as an handheld UART terminal alone is quite appealing to me already.