Ok guys, I'm just as much nerd as the rest of you except for ONE thing - I've never used Linux. Literally ever

Ok guys, I'm just as much nerd as the rest of you except for ONE thing - I've never used Linux. Literally ever.

I'm still running Windows 7, as I utterly despise Windows 8/10, and I refuse to upgrade. I know eventually Win7 will be unsupported so I have a few questions:

What version of Linux would suit a complete Linux noob like me?

I like to game. WoW, Battlefield, Rust, etc. How do I play these games on a Linux system? Is it even possible?

Other urls found in this thread:

elementary.io/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Debian + wine

Noob standard issue is linux mint.

why don't you run a clean windows install to play game, and linux on a virtual box to the rest (maybe Debian)? i assume you have a decent PC

you don't really need updates if you're only gaming, except a really few ones

Just run a linux VM senpai. Its easier, and running games in linux isn't as fun as it sounds.

I do have a decent PC, but my concern is not with updates so much as that *eventually* games/software/drivers etc will not support Windows 7. I understand that this is likely years to a decade down the road, but still...

Just embrace the botnet, get win10.
If you're to lazy to play around in linux and breaking stuff while learning, then don't. Learning linux takes time & dedication.

How does asking where to start make me lazy? Inquiring minds want to know...

Wait it out on Windows 7. contrary to popular belief you don't have to keep updating ur OS. just use 7 the things u need no longer support 7 in say 5 years and then think about a new OS

I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I always wondered how this didn't end up in a spam list

OP has the right idea.
Don't delay jumping ship until you *must;* that's only going to make it harder, more stressful and less likely to succeed.

this
I recommend Debian in the long run, but Mint is a great starting point.

Because it's useful education.

I hear elementary os is good for complete noobs.

elementary.io/

>useful education
I always thought it was propaganda for a cult of lazy zealots

If you like to game then just stick with windows. You're going to have to use it anyway so why go thru all the hassle of linux+windows unless you are trying to wean yourself off of windows. But if you just want to try linux you should its not that bad just different.

I like to game and I'm pretty satisfied with what I've got on GNU/Linux.
I've already got way many more games than I have the time to play.

It's really just a matter of not getting on the industry's marketing hype trains and not giving a second look to Windows-only stuff.

The very first thing I check with any game is if it has Linux support.
If it doesn't, I give it no further attention and move on.

Don't take the wine meme, half the games don't work. Stick with windows if you want to game.

Ubuntu+PlayOnLinux
PlayOnLinux is a series of scripts that preconfigure wine for certain applications (not just games).

>half the games don't work
Many games work. Origin games won't but every Steam game I've tried has. Note: no DX11 or 12 support. They're in dev for Crossover, but that's paid software.

Whatever you want really. Check out distrowatch

This seems like a good choice.

Definitely better than fucking Mint.

Linux Mint cinnamon is the one that Windows users feel right at home on.

So going back in update status makes sense in your head?

What do you think of mint Debian edition? Is it a good choice or am I better of with Debian itself?

What's wrong with Mint?