Serious question

Just got accepted into computer science, and I wanna know how computer scientists in Sup Forums spend their days, what tasks do they do, how much stress do you overcome.

I need to know if it's worth it Sup Forums. Help a brother out.

Mostly either watch anime or jerking off, sometimes both.

Its easy. The problem is unless you're really good, you're not getting a job.

Why not? Isn't there a lot of demand for Computer Scientists? I've heard there is hundreds of thousands of jobs to be filled in the US at this moment.

I spend my days pooing in the streets.

I just landed a job out of school. It's stressful for me. I'm probably not cut out for it.

Basically I have an issue. I make a branch and I work on each day until I think it's good. Then I submit a pull request (I know) and they review the code and make sure it passes the integration tests.

Since I'm new we've been doing the code reviews in person, with actually printed code. I know it's just code but it feels like I'm an absolute idiot and they're mad at me for making so many mistakes.

I'm continually worried I'm not working fast enough. They don't really tell me how if I'm doing enough. The job is salaried so I stay behind a bit and work on things that my pointed out that day.

The documentation chick is cute though.

lol

I'm in charge of reviewing the new guys' code, they're all like you. I was, too.
Don't worry, once you've been working on the codebase for a few months you'll be more comfortable.

What kind of code do you work on specifically? is it very technical and stressful?

By pajeets, friend.

>just got accepted
>in June

The university said that, didn't they. There are tech cities, unless you live in one you'll get cucked.

I am currently a NEET after graduating with a degree in CS. So most of my days are filled with fapping, watching anime, working on side projects, contributing to Open Source projects, and applying to jobs. Because I am not located in a tech city I am pretty fucked. Locally, companies rather outsource to pajeet or hire senior level engineers. Majority of my applications to companies out of state just ignore me.

I work in a big data department
Nobody in this field really knows what big data actually is yet. Not your boss, not industry leaders, none of your coworkers

A typical day consists of:
>doing stupid sysadmin shit because sysadmins don't do anything except put in hardware and networking stuff
>wondering which of the 4 frameworks you're using caused the other to break
>keep in mind it could be due to someone installing the wrong version of java or python to get their code to run, or due to an OS update, or the sysadmins doing something retarded
>but it's probably because someone changed a bunch of config files and the only way to fix it is to spend hours writing and debugging a bash script
>people yelling at you for breaking their machines
>programming some stupid program to do analysis, even though running it on a normal cluster architecture would have been faster since it would have taken way less time to actually program it and change all the configurations
>read about the next shitty new framework that will break all the time
>wonder why you're getting paid so much to do all this shit when it doesn't actually add any value to the company
>wonder when you're going to get fired
>yell at coworkers to stop killing your jobs

You learn computer science in University, not how to program.

IRL you will just string together a framework or bunch of libraries unless you specialize in some CS discipline like biology. Your tools are RabbitMQ, PostgreSQL, and some framework like Rails. A pahjeet will sit beside you making the exact same money and he will have learned to program out of Habeeb's Learn CS in 30 days book

That's why you work remotely, for compose.io or somebody else who advertises on jobspresso.co or weworkremotely.com

Elastic Search also pays over $100k for support engineers. Just grok their ELK stack and apply, remote and easy money. After a year or so in support you will be ready to merge into F/T development since you'll know the codebase inside out

Demand isn't that high. Unemployment in the sector is lower than average but wages are relatively stagnant.

When employers say that demand is high, what they mean is that they can't fill roles. They can't fill roles is because they're doing some combination of seeking people more qualified than they need and/or not offering enough money to make people accept a job offer.

They might even be stupid enough to not be maliciously trying to expand the labor pool with H1Bs and fresh grads that think they're buying a ticket to a good job. Either way it has the same effect.

Lol you got fucking lied to

The average day for me
>wake up
>contemplate making bullshit excuse not to go to the lab
>take better judgement and go to lab
>class lets out clock into IT internship at the college
>answer phones all day reading a PDF to idiots that is available to them on the college website
>go home
>study for certifications and finish up home assignments
>do discussion posts
>remember to eat dinner
>shower
>sleep
>repeat

>Not going EE

EE is a meme. Choose what you like as long as the job prospects aren't too bad.

>EE is a meme
Don't be mad because you're bad.

>not looking at actual average wages and realizing EE doesn't pay more

Don't get me wrong I am not saying EE is bad major I just think it's a bad idea to push a major because of it's job prospects or difficulty. It seems to be a big meme on here and /sci/ to tell people to major in EE. Enjoy your major.

>Listening to Sup Forums or /sci/ ever for advice
Found the problem.

do you have to do many group projects in computer science?

I had to do a couple, yes they were terrible experiences.

a couple in 4 years doesnt sound too bad i guess. i have anxiety so i dread doing shit like that

NEETS don't know any better.

>I have anxiety
*I am little bitch
ftfy

I'm getting a Masters (5 year program) in CS from Virginia Tech. What are my chances at getting a job as long as I also have certifications from Cisco like an A+, Net+, and Sec+, which I currently plan on getting?

I work from home as a software developer for $90/hour
of course you don't need a degree to do that, but I got a BS in CS anyway
I didn't learn much from my degree, though

rude

Nice