Why is the laptop battery life worse under Lunix?

What kind of trickery do others to get more time out of one charge?

pic unrelated

Other urls found in this thread:

techempower.com/benchmarks/#section=data-r9&hw=peak&test=plaintext
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Make sure you are not using the d-gpu (if your laptop has one) when you're on battery.
This help me a lot.

good idea, thanks

powertop
tlp
laptop-mode-tools
blacklisting unnecessary hardware
fan profiles
power profiles

Because Linux handles hardware poorly. You'd get better performance running Windows with a VM for whichever Linux distro is currently the flavour of the month.

>Because Linux handles hardware poorly.
reason being?

>install fedora
>everything works out of the box
>install windows
>spend 3 hours tracking down drivers from their hardware IDs in the Device Manager

isn't the other way round?

not in 2016

>tracking down drivers
>linux

You really never have used linux before, have you?

Laptops are usually designed to run Windows, that's why their drivers are more tighten to the hardware (also they are provided by the manufactor, not by a hobbist programmer)

macOS handles battery life the best because Apple can code their OS directly to specific hardware. They're the only company that designs both hardware and software, and like it or not this gives them a major advantage.

Windows handles battery life okay, because they handle generic off the shelf hardware pretty well, but the OEMs don't have kernel level access so it can never be amazing.

Linux handles battery life the worst because it has to target every possible combination of hardware it can, it doesn't have specific tweaks for specific hardware and never can, as barely any hardware manufacturers directly support Linux.

>macOS handles battery life the best because Apple can code their OS directly to specific hardware
More like, Apple hardware is a 8"x10" battery with a gumstick computer stuck in it.

explane

>You'd get better performance running Windows with a VM for whichever Linux distro is currently the flavour of the month.
gr8 b8 m8 i r8 8/8
techempower.com/benchmarks/#section=data-r9&hw=peak&test=plaintext

>fluff
>enf

can't make shit up

Gentoo
Not even memeing

Im getting about 2 1/2 hours on my t420 with funtoo. Im using the dedicated gpu for no reason other than im too lazy to blacklist mesa drivers and compile the intel ones... i dont sound like a very competent gentoo used fml

Drivers are usually built in to the kernel

It's because noob distros like Ubuntu are not optimized for your computer. Install gentoo and you will get better battery life

Some laptops have a dedicated GPU in addition to the integrated GPU. For example, a laptop may have Intel i3 and a AMD Radeon something GPU. The i3 has its own Intel GMA for lighter tasks. The AMD GPU is for heavier tasks. In windows, AMD GPU stays in a low power state when not doing anything intensive thus saving battery. It switches to the AMD GPU when doing heavier tasks, like gaming.

This does not happen in Linux based OS out of the box. It'll keep both GPUs on all the time which wastes battery.

He's pajeet.

>I know nothing about how hardware and software interface works