Let's discuss SBCs ITT, what we're looking at, what we have, what we use it for, etc

Let's discuss SBCs ITT, what we're looking at, what we have, what we use it for, etc.

Here's an incomplete list of common SBCs out there for newcomers.
>arduino
>banana pi
>beaglebone
>C.H.I.P
>cubieboard
>dragonboard
>orange pi
>ODROID
>PINE
>raspberry pi
>VIA

Other urls found in this thread:

software.intel.com/en-us/iot/hardware/edison
fsf.org/resources/hw/single-board-computers
linux-sunxi.org/U-Boot
github.com/linux-sunxi/u-boot-sunxi/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I have a beaglebone black and and an FPGA (mojo v3) is there any project that anyone can think of?

>still no SBC with 4 GB RAM
>2016

I'm afraid the RAM is tied to Android's RAM trend.
So, we'll see one with 4 GB RAM when phone with 4 GB of RAM becomes mainstream.

nigger, look at the intel edison, it's bretty glose

Intel Edison only has 1 GB DDR3 RAM and the processor looks shitty.

Intel® Edison Board Specs

Intel® Atom™ dual-core processor at 500 MHz
1 GB DDR3 RAM, 4 GB eMMC Flash
Bluetooth* 4.0, Wi-Fi*

software.intel.com/en-us/iot/hardware/edison

I just put volumio on my raspberry pi and it's now being used to play internet radio streams on the crappy $20 radio with aux input I bought at walmart the other day.

Got a raspberry pi 3 to take that one's place running kodi. I tried kodi on android but it's nowhere near as stable with rtmp and other streams as it is in linux.

I've done lots of other tasks with my original raspberry pi before too. I basically used it anytime I'd need to do something that involves linux because I'm a windows fag. Like getting ffmpeg to output rtmp streams for example, there's some retarded shit that prevents it from working right on windows.

>Let's discuss SBCs ITT
>arduino
>SBC
arduino is a atmega 328 microcontroller dev board not a SBC

This desu

Phones with 6gb ram are becoming mainstream Already...

It's an SBC. It has an SoC and ram.
Weak as fuck but still an soc.

Not him, but it's not, arduino is a microcontroller

Microcontrollers are
thisaway

Orange pi pc plus.

Thoughts? Good enough for browsing the web on a tv instead of buying an android box?

Not really.. Why not just buy a cheap android box?

This would be ~15-20 aud cheaper and I can use a Linux distro instead of android

Android will probably do a better job. Overall the experience is going to be shitty compared to like WebTV in the old days which was actually optimized to view on a TV.

>2016
>still no SBC with multiple SATA ports, Gbit ethernet, open source firmware, and a good quad/octo core ARM chip with more than 2GB of ram for less than $80

Just use an RPi 3 instead.

Was hoping to get maybe gnome 3 or unity on my tv with smooth 720p YouTube playback and 1080p movies off the sd card ;_;

Edison is designed for extremely low power tasks, and it's also very expensive and not as user friendly as many others SBCs.

I have 5 Raspberry Pis and a Banana Pro (awful).
My Raspberry Pi 3 (pic related) used to overheat frequently, so I fixed an heatsink on the SOC with some thermal epoxy, now it's way snappier.

I just want a small SBC with a proper analog sound output.

>slap a battery on it
>install MPC
>put push buttons on GPIOs
>maybe a small LCD somewhere
>best MP3 player ever

But no, let's put ethernet 10MB, micro HDMI and VGA instead because it's so fucking useful.

Soldering an audio card to a Raspberry Pi Zero could do the trick.

Neither of those guys but I also was confused when I saw Arduino in the list in the last thread, because as far as I knew it was a totally different thing. If you argue that technically it's an SBC, you're being autistic, because there's clearly a practical criteria that can be used to differentiate it from the rest in a very intuitive way; if you fail to understand how this classification is superior to a technical one, then you're legitimately autistic. Please don't ever include it in the list in these threads.

Orange pi pc, it's only $15 and has a 3.5mm for analog auto

The Zero has what I would consider to be the maximum acceptable size for it, but once you solder a card that's twice the size it's not really worth it anymore, plus most are made for Pi2/3, which already have a 3.5 jack, so they provide two RCAs.
Same thing for the Orange Pi, far too much shit on it you'd never need.

A typical MP3 player is half the size of the Zero, and that's really all you need for CPU + RAM + µSD + DAC + 3.5 jack + GPIO + micro USB + power. Ideally we'd need a specialized board for it, but so far there's nothing that's really fitting off the shelf.

What about that Intel one?

How bad is orangepi one as a plex client? Which distro and other software should i use?

What are your thoughts on pine A64 ?

I'm thinking of getting Odroid-UX4 for my 1st NAS. Just backup machine and seedbox for the start.

I will also get a separated SD class 10.

Am I doing it wrong? Is thefe better or not-too-expensive options?

I was 1st about Orange PI but I dropped it for nlt having USB 3.0 unless I get the expensive model.

bump desu

Which one can execute a GUI without running proprietary blobs?
I'd like to have one to install parabola
Anything with at least 500megs of RAM is fine

>Which one can execute a GUI without running proprietary blobs?
Unfortunately none atm, all SBC needs proprietary binary blobs, just like your computer's BIOS / UEFI.

fsf.org/resources/hw/single-board-computers

are there any fairly cheap (sub $200) x86 SBCs with 2 gigs of ram or more?
I want a really basic windows test machine with physical ports.

I think Allwinner CPU's use U-Boot
linux-sunxi.org/U-Boot
github.com/linux-sunxi/u-boot-sunxi/

A little bump.

Interesting. Especially the part where none of those can work with fully libre software.

Not the one you replied to, but I was myself looking for a highly reliable little computer, meant to be used in hostile environments, small enough to be hidden, affordable enough to be disposed of, and most importantly, open enough, or at least scrutinized enough, to ensure there's no red tape on anything.

But then it seems you have to go full console mode for that, albeit I guess I could maybe "trust" a piece of software that only uses the GPU, if I can sandbox it and be sure all it does is output a HDMI signal. Worst thing is, I'm pretty sure it's just shitty company practices that cause those blobs to be closed source, not a deliberate attempt from the NSA to spy on us.

Also obviously this list doesn't contain all SBCs: any other that may be more libre?

I wonder if using w3m and youtube-dl would be enough for me

>SBC

This is now a Small Block Chevy thread

I'm thinking of building a media server and need something to use as a client. Probably plex or something. Would an rpi3 be powerful enough to stream media from a server that's doing all the transcoding? What about if it has to transcode by itself? What is the absolute max it would be able to do? Would it push 4k 60fps? 4k30? Or would I have to stick to 1080p or something?

You'd probably want to stick to 1080p unless you're using a newer Android box, which is also an option. If you're doing that you can probably just use Kodi and avoid transcoding, which is aids. Worry more about the network overhead and storage than having a beefy cpu for transcoding and you'll end up with better quality for less money anyway.

If you're happy with just 1080p though rpi 3 is an option.

using w3m half the day from work into my rpi at home. It is fucking nice. I can't post here, but I can at least read everything.

I was worried about that too. 100M doesn't seem like much desu.

I have massive files I'd like to serve.