ITT: Unappreciated distros

I'll start

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/
blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2016/06/a-task-manager-for-the-plasma-wayland-session/
blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2015/12/gaming-on-linux-move-to-next-generation/
apple.com/macos/sierra-preview/
sourcemage.org/Install/Chroot
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Fuck I meant underappreciated*

>emphasis on KDE and Qt technologies
so it's shit

Every one of them

Windows 10.
>Modern user interface.
>Cortana (no other OS has anything similar).
>Troubleshooting.
>Customising start menu.

No other OS has any of these attributes; everyone gives Windows 10 a lot of stick due to the tinfoil claims of "botnet". Only an idiot would take what they say seriously.

Go away pajeet

>Chakra

Nice try, Pajeet.

>troubleshooting
Quite a lot of troubleshooting actually

Chakra and Kaos. Solus.

Chakra is nice.. I remember trying to partition the hd with the installer,, ended up booting a gparted disk to configure the hd before installing.. maybe this is fixed..

>Solus

Fuck yea.

I don't get the hate on Solus, they are actually trying to make a solid package manager rather than re-use some crappy/bloated one from another distro.

>Modern user interface. (So does mac, and most linux distros)
>Cortana. (Does anyone really use cortana? Would I want something like Cortana?)
>Troubleshooting. (There are like millions of websites that deals with every aspect of problems with every OS)
>Customising start menu. (Tried linux?)

>Modern user interface.
KDE, Gnome.
True.
>Troubleshooting.
Yes the "Something happened :(" OS surely wins in troubleshooting.
>Customising start menu.
Nigga I can use themes. That's not even impressive, but it's more than Windows allows. I could change my Window Manager if I wanted.
>No other OS has any of these attributes; everyone gives Windows 10 a lot of stick due to the tinfoil claims of "botnet". Only an idiot would take what they say seriously.
I wouldn't take them seriously if Window's EULA itself didn't say they can look at my personal files for any reason they want.

Zorin.
Auto install vbadditions(if you're on VB)
Comes pre-installed with loads of software(office,simple games, Wine, tools etc..)
Comes with loads of themes and addons.
Very fast.

>I don't get the hate on Solus

Nobody hates Solus. Why somebody would hate Solus?

Deepin it just werks™
Comes with an official version of crossover, it's own app store, based off Debian, easy to install apps, easily uninstall software, updates are great, and looks nice in general

this looks like OSX's inbred cousin

that's one sexy cousin

Woah

>Deepin 它只是工作™
interesting

Solus should be more popular than elementary 2bh

what the fuck is with all these distros, I don't even know half of these

i see it's based off debian sid.
isn't that a bad idea for something that has to just werk

Void
Alpine

They just add more fragmentation to the already small communitty. Instead of 15-20 great distros we have 187 amateur projects.

piss off you pretentious faggot.

Fairly quick on older machines and it plays well with Broadcom hardware out of the box.

Realistically, there is only ~15 distros users even bother considering. The rest are exclusively trying to solve problems they see apparent, and some of these distros replace some spot in the above noted 15 distros.

And those 15 distros are realistically unpolished, buggy, bad QA, etc. for desktop PCs for the average Joe.

>I wouldn't take them seriously if Window's EULA itself didn't say they can look at my personal files for any reason they want.

False.

Right, but the average joe is exclusively deciding between windows, ubuntu, or mac. Those other distros don't even pop up as an option to them unless they're talking to someone relatively knowledgeable who is suggesting things like mint.

Not all 15 are for the average joe.

Parrot OS replaced Kali in our computer shop because it's made by an actual security firm and not a bunch of volunteers.

We actually distribute elementary OS to the old ladies who have trouble with the power button.

My point is Ubuntu or Mint would be 10 times better if the amount of developers didn'tt waste their time on pointless forks. How many distros are based on debian/ubuntu? 100? So much resources wasted.

How are they wasting their time? It's not up to you or anyone else to decide how those developers spend their time on a free project.

>Using Kali in a computer shop.
Jesus Christ what's wrong with your business? Is the owner an 11 year old H4x3r or something?

Not really. The people who moved away from the likes of Ubuntu/Mint, did so due to differences in views, and now work on other distros. That's the joys of os, they can move freely in their work and not have to force themselves to work on something just because.

Basically everyone wins, devs can work on something that aligns with their views, users can use a distro that aligns with their wants/needs, users don't have to deal with a bunch of crap because devs have completely different visions (a very good and superficial example is the win 8 aesthetics tbqh) and no one is forced to eat shit because they have no alternatives.

I am the owner.

>tell customer they have security holes
>boot kali on another machine and show them their packets
>customer drops $5000 on corporate-grade firewall
>profit

Independent shops, m8.

Q4OS.
>intuitive interface that's a continuation of KDE's pre-bloat days
>easy to use third-party tool that can make it look exactly like Windows XP if so desired
>Installation allows you to go with just the basics or a fully configured desktop
>Light, using less than 200 MB of RAM on my old tower with 1 GB.
>Options based on Debian stable and Debian testing.
Seriously, it's fantastic.

any of these distros ditch systemd or officially support alternatives to systemd?

why bother going through that much work, just open up a slideshow presentation with some fake data lmao

This wouldn't be a problem if we lived in a world where 50% of desktop users were Linux users. But with 2% every hand matters. We are still using Xorg in 2016, just saying.

Ive tried them all.. ended up with Fedora

>We are still using Xorg in 2016
We're in the process of moving to wayland in 2016. This whole concept of "force everyone to work on a small number of projects" is what causes stagnation like xorg to occur in the first place.

Xorg isn't bad, it just uses shit like xml configuration.

Takes longer to start Kali, at $65 an hour that matters.

And, I don't give a damn what you think.

Wayland was announced like 6 years ago. The waste of already small resources if what causes stagnation.

Tearing. Bad multiscreen. Code from 1980's in my 2015 laptop.

>at $65 an hour that matters.
So wouldn't it make sense to use things that take longer to open and therefore you can charge clients more?
>And, I don't give a damn what you think.
lmao@u

>Tearing.
never happened to me
>Bad multiscreen.
works fine for me
>Code from 1980's in my 2015 laptop.
if it works, it works. appealing to novelty is a fallacy, user

NixOS
Solus
Bedrock Linux

Last one is probably the most underappreciated of them all. You can literally install any package from any major distribution and have them work together.

solus is nice but not enough to rip my normies from elementary

>never happened to me
>works fine for me
>me
>me

There are a lot of people who has these problems. Get your head out of your own ass and you will see it.

>appealing to novelty is a fallacy

Xorg needs a replacement not only because is old, because the problems are unfixable due to the old code in its core. This code was writen when having a mouse with two buttons was a luxury.

i dunno, maybe you're using it wrong?

if you can't convince me the problems exist, why should i support a xorg replacement with xorg works just fine?

>Xorg needs a replacement
and the replacement is on its way why is this conversation even occurring, is it impatience?

tearing is a known and common problem, just because it never happened to you doesn't mean you get to pretend it doesn't exist or someone else is "using it wrong"

>>Troubleshooting.
Does it work without internet connection?

>Wayland was announced like 6 years ago.
core protocol or whatever is required for adoption has also been finished for like 2 years. The ball is now with the Desktop environments, maintainers, compositor devs etc. blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/ is informative about the KDE transition.

Yeah I tried this, hod sume issues with hardware but overall interesting distro.

blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2016/06/a-task-manager-for-the-plasma-wayland-session/
Jeez, some of this stuff about how wayland works is just so braindamaged. Ye, it's horrible and stupid in Xorg that any application can look at the keyboard input of any other application and snoop all passwords and everything. But designing the system in such a way that no application can ever see what any other application or the system as a whole is doing is just as retarded. Like, this makes a simple screenshot program impossible. It makes a task manager impossible. I mean, why can't we do fine-grained control of permissions for applications as root with polkit or whatever? Why can't we make it so that there's a /etc/wayland.conf where you can specifiy this? Can the compositor implement that? Clearly it cannot be a solution that one program handles Window Management, providing a task manager, a desktop shell, a global shortcut manager like sxhkd, a screenshot tool and all the other shit.

Also, some stuf this guy suggests in the comments of blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2015/12/gaming-on-linux-move-to-next-generation/ scares the shit out of me.

All of this is just so retarded.

What's the point of something like Solus? It's just gonna have a lot less packages than something based on Ubuntu/Debian.

Can you already run Gnome fully on Wayland?

It isn't false. Take the time to read the EULA or fuck off.

point it out or fud somewhere else

I'm not the poster who first claimed they could look at your photos, but he doesn't have to point anything out to you. The EULA is there for anybody to read. Go take your time to read it like we had to, or don't read it at all. Doesn't matter to me.

i read it and it says nothing about that

so either i missed it or someone is spreading fud

ITT: Hipster garbage

t. Gnome developer

GNOME is butthurt their userbase left for XFCE and MATE. Turns out sacrificing productivity for touch-hype doesn't work out so well.

He said DISTROS, not PIECES OF SHIT.

>GNOME is butthurt their userbase left for XFCE and MATE.
It's their own fault. If you literally remove basic features then it doesn't suprise me. The funny thing is that some people actually defend that ("too much options is a bad thing").

Pic related. It's not linux btw.

Chakra doesn't have any GNU gtk applications in the repo.

This gives a little idea how distros would suck without GNU

well this new OS X distro that's supposed to be comming out is called Sierra, and it will support Siri

microsoft btfo once again ;^>

>using the smiley with a carat nose and greater than mouth

nice choice op

That't Chakra. I used the distro before

How do you get Screenfetch on Chakra? Did you just download it from github? What is its package name?

i lied it's arch

Shpuld i believe u or not

I want

idk

PAJEET, GIVE IT UP, HOW DO I GET SCREENFETCH ON CHAKRA

it's just a script, download it, chmod +x, run it

Kek thanks pajeet XDSDDDDD

I don't think I'll ever be able to unsee the obese dude in the arch logo. Thanks, Sup Forums.

You want a tiny 5MB OS for running under containers that still has a really good selection of packages?

Not all the information about Windows 10's spying is false. Windows 10 *does* send more logs, error reports, etc. to Microsoft than previous versions of Windows. Also makes a lot of internet connections to many servers with obscure URLs. Either Microsoft is diversifying their hosting, or they're trying to make it difficult for Windows 10 to phone home.

For example, Microsoft gets statistics about how many photos are viewed with the Photos app. If you have your feedback level set to Full, Microsoft knows how much time you spend in each app.

Solus is probably one of the best distros I've ever used, but god damn I don't want Sup Forums to ever post about it.

I don't want it to be a meme.

macOS Sierra is getting Siri.

apple.com/macos/sierra-preview/

OS X
>Most modern
>Siri
>No troubles to begin with (smiley with carat nose)
>Launchpad (which oddly looks like windows 8's start) was always customizable.

is siri/cortana really such a big issue? can't you just, i dunno, type words into a search box?

i can understand it on mobile devices where typing is fuck, but not on anything that you have keyboard capability with

how install this

it's not, it's just shills arguing with shills

The voice response is a big part of it. People like the humanization. It's also good for accessibility.

No it isn't, i just said siri to tell him that windows 10 isnt the only os what has an assistant

sourcemage.org/Install/Chroot

other methods aren't supported anymore, but it's pretty easy, honestly (used to be a dev)

true, i didn't think about accessibility

OS X.
Stylish
Fast
UNIX
Comparable
Multimedia production focused
Hackintosh master race.

React OS