Small Questions Thread

/sqt/

Other urls found in this thread:

challenges.re/1/
tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-specifications,28464.html
ark.intel.com/m/products/75045/Intel-Core-i5-4570T-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz#@product/specifications
youtube.com/watch?v=9fohNO3_1rU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

isn't it supposed to be stupid questions threadM

Hi

It's been going back and forth between stupid and small questions since these threads first became a thing.

On Android whats a good app for drawing that respects freedoms and doesnt have idiotic cloud features.

Looking for one with layers and a good choice of brushes

I had the last post in the last thread before it archived, so sorry if it seems like I'm spamming:
Is this assembly?
challenges.re/1/
What resources should I check out to get into it?

is it safe to spray acrylic paint on motherboard and gpu?

On just covers? Yes

Bought a phone off of eBay screen was broken opened it up and seems like the previous owner tired to replace it and detreaded the screws what do?

Open up a fraud claim

>be computer retard
>harddrive breaks
>'ill just get a new hd and put windows on it'
>guy at the office gives me a win 7 home premium disk because he's a bro (back to this later)
>Have to reformat the disk like 4 time because I'm retarded and needed to get it to MBR
>accidentally install 32 bit because retarded
>formatandtryagain.exe
>install 64bit
>had to manually install a fuckload of drivers because I must have fucked up the installation
>finally its working
>realize with Win7 HP I can only use 16GB of my installed 24GB

I'm assuming the only thing I can do is upgrade/clean install Win7 Ult to access that sweet ram right?

and yes I know I'm retard

What's the difference between oem hard drives and not? I heard oem is bad when it comes to the os so it that the same here?

Yeah contact eBay, that's about all you can do

Anyone know the best free music download apps for android? Keep finding shitty ones

On a scale of 1-10, how stupid am I?

Jesus Christ, parts for full pc build came in mail today. Got ddr3 ram, which is incompatible with the motherboard.

fml senpai

Flud torrent

Reposting from 404 thread.

How can I check if a GPU is faulty?

I'm about to RMA my brother's 970 because lately games are running like shit but I don't want to get some jury rigged gpu just to face the same shit performance again.

user suggested me to stress it to check for artifacts and/or crashes. How can I do this?

I've been there before mang

GPU-Z its free and it pretty good.

>good app
>protects freedoms & try to sell you shit
Pick one

Doesn't try *

>What resources should I check out to get into it?
It is assembly, only info you need is operation descriptions and calling conventions which you can look up on google

OEM usually means that it is sold in an anti-static plastic bag instead of a fancy box

You can start with booting a clean system and running benchmarks to see if they divert a lot from expected values

Got an i5-2500k off Ebay for $92. Did I do good?

if it works

Friend of mine is buying his first Gaming PC with a 800€ budget. I and several friends have come up with a rig, then he asked to a friend of him who's an IT guy on what PC should he get.

This is the rig I say he should get:
-Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5Ghz Box
-MSI Z97 PC Mate
-Cooler Master Hyper 212X
-Geil Black Dragon DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 8GB CL11 (probably gonna change this one for a better one)
-Sandisk SSD Plus 120GB SATA3 (+ a 300GB HDD he already has and another 1TB external HDD)
-Antec GX505 Window USB 3.0 Blue
-Corsair VS 650W 80 Plus
-Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5

IT guy rig:
-Core i5-4460
-PB ECO H110
-8 GB DDR4 (no specification on what brand)
-750W power supply (no specification on what brand)
-Hummer case
-LG DVD burner
-1 TB HDD (no specification on what brand)
-GTX 970 GAMING 4G NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB

Worth mentioning that the friend does plan on updating this PC when needed. He's currently planning on taking the IT guy offer as he says it's "the family IT guy" and he's trustworthy. Is he retarded, is the IT guy retarded or am I retarded?

Anything wrong with this build? Any unneeded costs I can cut?

Some added details:
I want to push a 4K monitor with this while running productivity stuff like FF, Photoshop, OBS, etc. all at the same time
I won't be gaming on this

It's outdated as hell now if you want to viddy, ignore delusionals that say otherwise.
Otherwise gj my dude

Source: owned a 2500k since 2012, it bottlenecks my 7870 (while overclocked to 4.5GhZ) which I've also owned since 2012

That doesn't seem all that bad then, do they have all the cables needed still? How come oem is bad for os then?

>GPU-Z its free and it pretty good.

I'm not going to lie, I have no fucking clue about interpreting this.

Is crucial a decent brand for RAM? I'm buying trying to find some 16GB 1600 mhz for my thinkpad.

I'm doing a fresh build next week. I was asking myself if this would work to get a 'free' Windows 10 license:

Grab the Windows 10 insider preview and update it to the current version.

Does anyone know of a Linux LiveDVD that supports USB 3.0 for my retina macbook pro?
It can be any Linux OS that supports a loadable kernel modules (for wl drivers) just so that I can install Gentoo.
I've tried Ubuntu 16 and 15 and neither of them worked. I figured I'd ask here before wasting any time.

>he fell for the 24GB RAM meme

Will I run into any problems running debian or arch a AMD based laptop?
Asking since I heard somewhere AMD and linux don't get along, I might be wrong tho.

Nah I just won 8GB of ram at Dreamhack Austin and decided to throw it in there

tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-specifications,28464.html
it looks like its ok as far as I can tell (I doubt anyone in the thread is an expert). did you check your drivers?

Can some write the command to conver iso to img on mint. File is in downloads

>do they have all the cables needed still?
Most likely no, but I don't think selling any cables with HDDs is a common practice. Usually you need power cable which is a part of your PSU, and signal cable, which usually comes with your motherboard.

>How come oem is bad for os then?
OEM is a very broad and vauge term

there's the "anytime upgrade" thing that supposedly allows for edition upgrades in-place
but i've never used it

since it's a fresh install i wouldn't bother, just download 7 professional or ultimate and install that

I've tried several drivers.

The GPU acts weird, like it has to warm itself to work.

If you launch a game, first time there will be stuttering out the ass, after a couple of hours or if you launch the game 3-4 times, it will get better, but still with a noticeable stuttering.

Will there be a big difference between a dual core i5 with hyperthreading and a quad core i5 single threaded?
Let's just assume all other specs are equal.

Anyone here know how to use 3D printers?

I have a cheap ass chinese delta that has the build quality of a dollar store christmas ornament, and the autolevel mechanism is so flawed that it's not even worth trying to fix

Anyway, since this is my first printer, I was wondering, is it worth trying to tape the auto level switch to the print head and try it that way? I don't know what exactly auto leveling does, so is it important that I have it at the exact right height, or does it only fix the horizontal level?

It could make a difference in things like video rendering and content creation, but for web browsing or vidya it's not a big deal

Is there any way I could get a better connection from this router, either by changing it or tinfoil arials n shit.

Thanks for the info.
I don't plan on doing any kind of rendering or anything of the sort, just vidya.
The GPU is a 290x so I don't think it would be bottlenecked in any way by a hyper threaded dual core i5.

Oh and drilling an ethernet cable into the roof is sadly not a possibility.

For games I'd spring for a quad core
There's a lot of newer games that just don't like dual cores

pentium - gimped 2 cores
i3 - full 2 cores, hyperthreading
i5 - full 4 cores
i7 - full 4 cores, hyperthreading

you are not making much sense with what you are saying unless talking notebook processors where its a whole lot of mess

annyway, there are reports that i7 over i5 prevents frame drops in games like BF4
but generally i5 is fine

I am referring to the i5 4570t. See here:
ark.intel.com/m/products/75045/Intel-Core-i5-4570T-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz#@product/specifications

As you can see it is a dual core CPU with 4 threads.

Meta question because I'm bored
>inb4 faggot janitor deletes this post

how did you discover Sup Forums? Because honestly I can't fucking remember for the life of me

why would you be taking "T" processor?
its for power saving shit, like for NAS or shit
thats why its 35W instead of 90W like a gaming cpu would be

you want no letter, or 'K' if OCing

10 years ago digg was talking about Sup Forums under some funny picture
visited Sup Forums
look around the boards
technology is one that felt like home

I'm not buying the parts. I'm just getting this desktop from my brother and I wanted to know what the first part I should upgrade is when I have the money.

>new to linux
So is there a program that allows me to quickly uninstall packages in Puppy Linux? I know it comes with an app that allows that but I'd prefer to just mass click a bunch of programs and uninstall it all instead of one at a time.

This photo made me curious. After being on Sup Forums for a year or so I checked out the other boards and found Sup Forums

WHAT'S GOOD NYUKKA?!

>new to linux
>Puppy Linux
What are you doing?

WHAT'S REAL GOOD?

Wanted to learn how to build a PC many years ago

The Sup Forums sticky was useful and helpful

Went to actual Sup Forums

Actual Sup Forums was not useful or helpful, actual Sup Forums was dumb, but I couldn't leave

Does anyone have the Sup Forums recommended reading image? I have been looking all over for it.

Reddit sometimes kept talking about Sup Forums, so I decided to visit it, wanting to check out the freshest memes (literally)

I went to the start page and didn't know what to do. I Just clicked on "Technology", expecting something completely different (cars, rockets, and shit) than this (basically a computer/software and occasional phone board). But I was happy nevertheless.

I went with Puppy Linux because I wanted a distro thats friendly towards low end computers (HP Mini 1110NR)

Is there an issue? Also people who say Linux is hard to use are fucking retarded.

i need a new graphics card bc my old one is like 3 years old
can anyone recommend an affordable but decently powerful one? i ain't lookin' for anything cutting-edge particularly

Just had to get a new phone (Android). How can I get Clover? I noticed it was taken off the play store.

>Discover Sup Forums from old something awful forums about 10 years ago
>been here ever since

I actually don't post on Sup Forums often, hence why iI'm here

Puppy Linux is a solution looking for a problem. Basically any distro can be good on low end machines.

>bc my old one is like 3 years old
mine is too (7970) but it still works fine

what's the problem with your current one?

what do you have in there now?

22th july should sapphire rx480 and other non reference design arrive
and gtx1060 will be out as well, according to rumors
so keep eye on techsites reporting, at 7th july there should be some new info about gtx1060, week later release

amd radeon hd 8470 + 8670D dual graphics

idk, could be other computer hardware thats makin' games run shit
whenever i try to play anything on fullscreen with a resolution higher than 800x600 my pc shits itself

Rx 489 is decent, but if the 1080 and 1070 are anything to base Nvidias releases off of then the 1060 will probably be the better card.

an i7 would probably be better. if you can go cheaper on the ram, go for it. the slowest ddr4 is good enough.

not in DX12 it wont
plus awkward 3GB vram.. when loads of games make use of 4GB

>hd 8470 + 8670D dual graphics
alright ye that is a piece of shit

you have my blessings to buy a new one

thank u senpai
any recs?

Opinions?

Its going to come in 3gb and 6gb variants.
We'll also have to see just how large if a difference there is between the two cards in dx12.
For example if the 1060 can push 980 level performance in dx11 and come close to the 480 in dx12 it might still be the better buy.
I might be a little biased in this though because there really aren't that many games coming out that I care about anymore. From this year I plan on getting Deus ex, doom, and no man's sky. The only other game I want is mount and blade, but after those games release there really aren't any dx12 games I would be playing.

got one older revision
I wish I went for microATX

I use ArtRage for Android, and I'm really happy with it. Costs $5.

recently bought a domain, how can I make it so that xxx.domain.com takes me to localhost:9500 and XeX.domain.com take me to localhost:7500

6GB variant will ikely be $300+ as is classic for nvidia, knowing they will sell anyway
>I might be a little biased in this though because there really aren't that many games coming out that I care about anymore.
are you guys really not buying GPUs for 4+ years? There will be shitload of dx12 games down the road while both 480 and 1060 will gives loads of fps for current dx11 games

I upgrade my GPU every 2-3 years.
I still stand by my statement hat apart from the3 or 4 games I mentioned coming out this year there is nothing else I'm looking forward to.
Maybe an elder scrolls game but I can't see that coming out in the next 2 years so by then I will be able to upgrade again.

was the whole you can't see past 60fps a meme or is their some fact behind it

Are g-sync monitors a meme?
800e for a monitor seems like an awful lot.

domains have nothing to do with ports, they're just for IP address resolution

or do you just want it in a webbrowser? Because you can just set up a website on these subdomains and do HTML redirects

>there is nothing else I'm looking forward to
>not looking forward to Battlefield 1
madness
youtube.com/watch?v=9fohNO3_1rU

Complete meme.
You can very easily discern between 30, 60, and 120/144.

My guess is that you wont be able to tell the difference somewhere above 250 fps.

Played bf3 and had quite a bit of fun, but that was on Xbox and I would okay with my friends.
Ever since moving to PC I mostly play single player games which is why I'm interested in games like doom and deus ex.

I don't mind which way it is as long as I can keep it update it with my IP somehow

but basically
xxx.domain.com > localhost:9500
gde.domain.com > localhost:8500
the localhost would be my public IP

I know what you mean, I used to be so hype for every game, but honestly the only game on my radar I'm looking forward to is ruiner. (and it's probably going to be shit)

I am reinstalling Windows 10 because of a Trojan infection. I am faced with this screen. Will deleting all these partitions and installing Windows 10 in the resulting one "unallocated space" wipe all hard drive and especially MBR too?

Hey, learning about Inodes atm.

What's an Inode table?

>skipping glorious BF4
seriously its dirty cheap now

>Will deleting all these partitions
yeap
delete all
then on empty space set new one
it will create some system partitions as well depending on bios/uefi
and just install

I will be using Windows just to boot up some games on a secondary hard drive or maybe running the rare application that does not work with any other system.

How much space would give to a windows system partition on a 120GB SSD?

Inode is a data structure used to represent a system object like files or directories.

The table is just the location of those files.

I almost fry my CPU today cause intel's plastic screw bullshit. Is my CPU fucked up now?Does that accident affects its useful life?

>origin
Seriously, I already have to deal with steam to play mp games and now you want me to install some other meme malware program just to play games online?
I miss the days when games focused on single player and there was no shitty drm for multiplayer. To this day I don't understand why Reddit loves steam so much.