DDR4: is it a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

crucial.com/usa/en/memory-performance-speed-latency
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

even that newest 10 core i7 is locked at about 36Gb/s memory transfer speed
that is already achieved with a normal 1600mhz ddr3

>locked at about 36Gb/s memory transfer speed
uhhh?

My 5820k gets almost 55Gb/s read speeds in AIDA64. And thats with just 3200MHz DDR4.

You can get 65Gb/s+ with faster RAM.

lol first user got rekt!

from what I understand it's one of the first to actually have improved latency from DDR1

well then just cpuboss is shit with info

It is just an evolutionary improvement of DDR1.

Lower voltages, higher clockspeeds and tighter latency at said clockspeeds.

It is easier for DRAM to make higher denser DIMMs which means cheap 32GiB or more memory capacities.

yeah despite having CL 16-18-18-38 I get pretty damn good latency. DDR4 is all around pretty good.

I would get at least DDR4 3000MHz however.

maybe but as SSDs, they are going to replace their current competition because shills

Double the CL does not actually equate double the access time when the cycle time is also twice as fast.. 3000 CL 16-18-18-38 has the same access time as 1500 CL 8-9-9-19

crucial.com/usa/en/memory-performance-speed-latency

DDR1 to DDR2 was the big jump in latancy improvement, it`s all pretty minimal past that.

I wish it were.

>got all the parts for my PC today
>bought ddr3 instead of ddr4
>surprise surprise, it does not fit

wew

SDR - DDR1* Sorry. DDR1 - DDR2 was incredibly minimal as well, but the largest improvement overal since the adoption of DDR memory. But bandwidth is more important than access time anyways, since it`s measured in fucking nanoseconds. You aren`t even capable of percieving the differerence of 13 and 15 nanoseconds.

>DDR4: is it a meme?

Absolutely not, it's based.

How can you even post here, fucking retard?

it's cheaper than DDR3 while delivering the same; what's the point to your question anyway?

ddr4 is faster than ddr3 and many benchmarks already have shown a noticeable boost in performance with faster ddr4 ram. fallout 4, grand theft, and witcher 3 as examples.

skylake as a whole scales well with faster ram. recommend at least ddr4 3000mhz.

>Skylake scales well with faster ddr4

Yea sure. If the fucking Z170 chipset would actually allow faster ram. Constant reports online of z170 refusing to work with XMP on faster ram kits. For instance, I have a 16GB kit of ddr4-3200mhz that can only run at 2666mhz, otherwise the pc hangs at boot.

Broadwell-E on the other hand ain't too shabby. The 5820k and associated family of processors is rather picky about ram. The 6800k and family seems to have fixed that problem. Regularly see people getting 3600mhz stable on broadwell-E/x99 setups.

no issues here across two different gigabyte boards and three different asus boards with both gskill and corsair.

yes but it's already cheaper than ddr3 so there's no reason not to use it

>Yea sure. If the fucking Z170 chipset would actually allow faster ram. Constant reports online of z170 refusing to work with XMP on faster ram kits. For instance, I have a 16GB kit of ddr4-3200mhz that can only run at 2666mhz, otherwise the pc hangs at boot.
What mobo do you use? Pic related. My current setup (speccy almost working edition; GPU is R9 Nano though, not Fury).

>You aren`t even capable of percieving the differerence of 13 and 15 nanoseconds.
This is faulty logic. YOU aren't the one relying on the memory latency directly, it's your CPU. You might not think it's a big deal, but when your computer's cache is requesting/sending data at a few GHz, it adds up and can create scheduling issues. These delays aggregate and will result in something you can eventually notice in high performance situations.

Look at it another way, could you tell the difference between a single integer/floating point calculation done in ~5 nanoseconds vs. one done in ~5 microseconds? Of course not.

But it's also the difference between a 4 GHz Skylake CPU vs. a 5 MHz 8086, and somehow I think you'd notice the difference in performance there.

I'm running a 6700K with an Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha and my 3200MHz kit runs fine. I actually even have it slightly overclocked at 3333MHz with the stock timings.

Wtf are you on about user. Seriously where are you getting your bull shit ?

No kidding, spastic.
CPUboss is a site for tech illiterate Sup Forumstards.

user the latency on high speed memory is way way worse than it used to be. Ddr1 cas latency was 2 on good 400mhz sticks. Ddr 3200 latency now is what 16 or so, it was the memory access controller moved onto the cpu die that really helped access times.

CAS timings are not latency.
Latency is a function of times x frequency.

3600mhz CL15 DDR4 has a true latency of 8.3ns.
400mhz CL2.5 DDR has a true latency of 10ns.

The DDR4 has massively increased bandwidth while being faster to respond across the board in all internal memory functions. It is faster in every sense.

Tech. Illiterate. Retard.

Sage for calling something arbitrary a meme. Stop.

If the memory controller was off die than my point stands. Latency depends on the column strobe, for every time it misses that's just lost bandwidth thus latency. You call me a retard yet you give an absolute latency value for certain ddr speeds. Which is bullshit size then manufacturers wouldn't release pricey ram with better timings and or mhz

>tech illiterate retard grasping at straws after proving hes clueless
>posts nothing but gibberish

Baha oh user if you can't read a few technical terms then maybe you should head back to /v

Then what the fuck?! My board is the Asus ROG Ranger. Ram is corsair ddr4-3200mhz 2x8GB CL16. Everything benches fine and it seems the pc chooses when it wants to boot when I manually set ram speed. I've tried
>XMP setting. Doesn't work
>setting dram to 3200mhz. CL stays at 17 and PC randomly hangs during boot and gives "overclocking failed!". But can do prime95 and other tests without a problem when it DOES boot.
>set system agent and other voltage to 1.25v and 1.2v. (max recommended safe voltage). No change
>bumped ram voltage to as high as 1.4v instead of the 1.35v recommended on the ram kit. No change.

Maybe my motherboard BIOS needs a flashing? Cpu is currently 4.6ghz @ 1.35v. prime95, cinebench stable.

>the tech illiterate retard desperate to save face now throws out petty insults since hes in completely over his head
>continues to make an ass of himself

Pic related if anyone cares. Bought this specifically because it had the most features for its price, and it was the least tacky plastic plate covered motherboard available.

You started the insults genius. Fact remains moving the memory controller on die was the biggest leap forward in latency/ access time

>this completely irrelevant point somehow detracts fro how laughably wrong I was when I was talking out of my ass

Typical tech illiterate retard.

Ah I see now. Your just an embittered user who departed needs to get the last word. Go ahead I won't reply

You didn't read the manual and bought unsupported RAM. That's literally it.

>even now
>continuing to try and save face
>after being proven completely wrong
>for talking out of his ass
>like a tech illiterate retard

Stop pretending to be an authority on anything, you're a shit eating idiot.
>hurr durr guys DDR was totally faster because this CAS timing is lower and frequency definitely doesn't play into the latency equation!
>better endlessly try to defend myself instead of just admitting I was wrong because I love talking out of ignorance like a stupid kid
>if I use my reddit tier psychology skills it'll totally make look cool on this anonymous image board

not so. Some of the reviews have this RAM working with lesser Asus boards. (Non ROG branded). Exact kit and some saying XMP worked great while others state it was a no go. And if RAM wasn't supported, the PC wouldn't boot or run properly.My problem is just having the RAM unable to clock to where it should be.

Some possible options include your RAM kit being faulty, your CPU having a particularly shit IMC or the Ranger just not being great at handling high RAM speeds, because it does vary a lot by board. It is rated for 3400MHz, although something like the Hero is rated up to 3800MHz.

Updating to the latest BIOS version should be your first thing to try. Even the Hero had some trouble at launch, but Asus improved it via BIOS updates (and then the Hero Alpha).

Compatibility lists are a meme. I've never owned a kit that was on the official list for any of my boards (because they're usually fucking tiny) and have had no problems.